SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alida_gw

Help Needed-stuck on range hood - warning long & slightly incoher

alida_gw
15 years ago

I've been reading this forum for so long now that I ALMOST convinced myself that I actually had a clue re: choosing cabinets, appliances, etc. for my long awaited kitchen remodel. Up till now, I've been pretty pleased with myself in making choices. THEN I got to the range hood decision. I AM TOTALLY STUCK. I've been through the gallery fifty times, looked at every bookmarked page on my computer and followed links to places no one should ever go on the internet!

My KD is awesome and while she has some okay ideas for the hood, none of them really jump out at me as perfect. So GWers, I am throwing myself at your feet, begging for help.

Background - My kitchen is not large (13x15) and (post remodel) will have an 11" framed opening to my family room. The cabs will be painted, creamy white, inset doors, HW floors, traditional hardware, etc. The house is a very traditional colonial in southeastern New England. I wish I had the plans to post but KD is redrawing elevations and I won't get them back for a few days.

There are no traditional uppers in the kitchen. I'm 5'3" on a really bad hair day and frankly, at some point I will be getting to old (if I'm not already) to hoist myself up on the kitchen counter to get something off the second shelf. The sink wall has two tall cabinets on either end that come all the way down to the counter, like hutches, 14" deep. Perpendicular to this wall is the range wall. On this range wall the space is as follows: from the inside corner of the counter, there are 12" (part of the door for the super susan), then my 30" range and finally my 33" pot & pans drawer stack. How does this relate to the hood, you ask?

Well originally, I wanted a simple wooden hood but every time my KD drew it up, I just looked off. Mostly because a.) it's not centered on the wall, b.) there are no uppers on either side of it to connect it to anything, and c.) it looks weird with the aforementioned hutch cabinet on the perpendicular wall, like the door on that cabinet would open into this little space between the side of the hood and the wall. FYI - my ceilings are only 8 feet.

What I NEED is a hood solution that will not overpower the room. I could move the range so it is centered in the space but then I would have to shrink my pots & pans drawer; from everything I've read here I'd be choosing form over function and will surely regret it. I thought about a euro style glass chimney hood thinking it might be less conspicuous but I'm afraid that it will look too modern. I've thought about a plain stainless hood but I'm afraid it will be too dominant. Then I thought about a stainless hood and maybe just having the straight chimney part boxed in with wood to lessen the impact but I'm afraid that I don't really have a clue what that would actually look like.

Yup, at this point I am just afraid. LOL! So much for my confidence, I am the kitchen version of the emperor's new clothes.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Alida

Comments (9)