SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
analysisparalysis

Serious range hood quandry - can't afford 'good'

analysisparalysis
13 years ago

I sure hope someone has a "miracle" answer for me (but I'm guessing there isn't one, other than "spend more!"). We're doing a massive remodel, and because of the overall cost, one thing we just can't afford is what would probably be considered an appropriate hood for the new cooktop. The cooktop hasn't yet been purchased (waiting for a good sale), but we're planning on a 36" GE Profile gas 5-burner cooktop, and will run it on LP since we don't have NG out here. The max burner on it is 18K (more like 15K on LP). I don't do much frying/woking/stirfrying - so I'm not terribly concerned with a slightly underpowered hood. We're trying to keep the cost under $400 for the hood. We have a 36" space to mount the hood (yes, I know, ideally we'd want a few extra inches beyond the sides of our cooktop - we don't have that option).

Here's my biggest problem - the kitchen wall is internal. To get to the attic and out the roof would mean running the duct up through a standard wall (i.e. not thick enough for the duct...), and on top of that, our GC doesn't want to vent out the top of the roof - not clear as to why. Maybe because we have so much snowfall in the winter? Doesn't want to compromise the roof integrity? The only other alternative is to vent it through the adjacent (but half-story lower) basement - which would require three 90-degree turns within the first 10' (with two of them immediately behind the hood, to turn the flow downward, or 180 degrees, which just seems terrible to me), and then a 16' run to the exterior wall. This obviously seriously decreases the effectiveness - though I'm sure a straight vertical run of 20+ feet isn't great either. We've found a Jenn-air 36" hood that is on sale for $370, down from $1400. It has 650cfm - but how much would actually be left after all those turns??? And how noisy would it be (I believe the fan is right in the hood)? I just realized a third option - I think we might be able to take it up to the ceiling of the kitchen and do a 90-degree turn, then run it straight for 40' through the kitchen and out the ceiling of the garage to the opposite external wall. One 90-degree turn deducts 15' from the 100' standard, and the side cap deducts 30', so we'd still have 55' to work with...but how much suction would we lose with that long run?

What would you recommend (I know - spend more!!!) - if spending more isn't a really viable option?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

AP

Comments (10)