SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owlface

The return of Owlface. Warning: this is such a LONG post!!

owlface
8 years ago

Hi, all!

I was on the forum a little while back to get some ideas about my dark narrow dream of the 90s kitchen, and everyone was so nice and welcoming, I'm back for more. Huzzah! We are 99.99% sure we are getting ikea cabinets, and to that end, we wrestled with the software and have a layout. Like my aptly named geometry teacher of long ago, Mr. Sveel, (that name even sounds gross in my head), I have a few axioms I need all y'all to accept if you are going to take a crack at this kitchen. That sounds blunt but I'm trying to preempt some downline conversations about moving the entire kitchen to the opposite end of the house etc...

I give you:

Owlface's Kitchen Axioms

1. We have what is supposed to be a dining room through the doorway on wall B, but we use it as a music room and we will continue to use it as a music room from here until the end of time.

2. We have 4 kids, ages 3,5,7, and 9. They are tiny terrorists and we love them and want them to want to bring their friends over and sit at the table forever. We need an up all the time BIG table, not just space to jerry rig card tables together for when friends come to dine.

3. My husband gives zero hoots about just about any of this and just wants me to make some decisions so we can move forward. The following layout was bourne of approximately 783763739 agonizing conversations, so what I am looking for are practical suggestions regarding individual cabinet placement (put drawers here, don't forget to put Magical Cabinet of Wonder over here) etc, NOT "hey how about let's change the whole entire thing just for funsies! We are way past funsies. Actually I'm not but my husband is ready to declare war on any and all Kitchen Design Funsies.

4. Our kitchen (at least with our family in it) needs a peninsula and not an island. We have an island right now and please believe me when I say that it is the worrrrrst. I believe you that your island is awesome and wonderful and made you lose 30lbs and you no longer wake up with weird chin hairs but we are pretty set on the peninsula.

5. Through many lengthy speeches and demonstrations of intellect and charm, I convinced my husband that we need the Ginormous Window Of Awesomeness, hear after to be called GWOA. I would rather have no cabinets and wash my dishes in the bathtub for a year and eat nothing but generic macaroni and cheese forever than give it up. Don't touch the GWOA.

I apologize for the War and Peace length of this post, as well as for the totally sad pictures-I hope you're still with me and that you can make sense of any of this! I truly admire all your expertise and I've learned so much by reading all your posts and seeing your pictures. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Comments (51)