SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Questions on process of updating countertops

acw2355
10 years ago

I'm in a house with a kitchen that was updated 20 years ago with white thermafoil cabinets and soft blue laminate counters. It's a small L-shaped galley style with one corner for a very small nook.

The structure of the cabinets are in very good shape and I'm happy with the footprint. The existing laminate is in very good condition but I do want to update it and eventually the door fronts (thermafoil has yellowed).

I'm considering either soapstone counter tops or possibly just replacing the laminate with WilsonArt's "Oil-based Soapstone" laminate. Would later add mini-subway tile back-splash in white.

1. How do I know if the existing cabinets can hold the weight of soapstone?

2. I want to keep my original porcelain drop-in sink. Can that be done?

I'm assuming that with a stone countertop, the installers would have to remove the existing counter top and the sink and that this may be pretty labor intensive.

With laminate I know we could save the sink. But what is the process? Do they just tear off the old laminate and glue down the new? How does that work?

As for the stone vs laminate: it's more a question of function rather than cost for us. We don't spend loads of time cooking and we're not after a trendy fashion statement either. The house is a neat cottage bungalow built in 1950. I like the clean look of white/black/gray. We want something durable with resale value that presents a classic look.

Appreciate any ideas on what we need to consider. Thanks.

Comments (16)