SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellroc

Starting the remodel process

mellroc
15 years ago

So I've been lurking on here for about a month as I've started figuring out the planning process for my kitchen remodel.

First, a little background info on the current kitchen..

I bought this little 1000sq ft condo 4 years ago for a song in an awesome location that I love. The entire building is an old apartment complex built in 1969. The current kitchen is par for the course on a late 90's apartment. Not awful, but not great. On top of that, it is TINY. I've been slowly upgrading the rest of the condo and the only major projects I have left at this point are the kitchen and the ceilings (new lighting, axe the awful popcorn).

Dimensions of the current kitchen are 127' x 87'.

Issues I have with the current kitchen include:

1. Inefficient use of valuable space

2. Unable to use corner cabinet space (I literally can't reach back there)

3. Cheap cabinets/flooring/countertops (Old vinyl/formica)

4. Fridge is too small

5. Wasted space between the wall and oven

I've been saving my pennies and have budgeted 10K for this remodel.

Ways that I plan to save money include:

1. Do the demolition myself

2. Do the floors and backsplash myself

3. Buy and install the appliances myself (There's a Sears appliance outlet nearby that I plan to make good use of)

At the moment, I'm just trying to figure out general costs. I expect I'll need 4k for a counter depth french door fridge, 30' electric smoothtop slide in oven, and over the counter microwave. I'm completely happy with the dishwasher, and I rarely use it, so the current one will stay. All appliances will be white.

I don't know any reputable contractors and I hate asking people questions when I'm not prepared to give them money, so I'm here to pick the collective brains of this forum instead.

My biggest question is... What's the ballpark figure to have somebody design, buy and install cabinets and a countertop for this size kitchen?

All the estimates I've seen seem to be for kitchens much larger than mine.

The style I'll be going for is minimalist, clean, efficient lines, modern stuff. I'm not super picky on quality, but I definitely want something that will hold up and last and NOT look dated in 10 years. That goes for the countertops as well. I like the cabinets I see at Ikea, but I'm suspect of their quality, and have NO IDEA how good their installers are. But that gives you an idea of the style I'm looking for. I will most likely go with an engineered solid surface countertop. I'm more concerned with practicality and ease of cleaning/maintenance than looks.

My second big question involves the wall dividing the kitchen from the living room. Considering how tiny my kitchen is, and how underutilized the space is in my living room, I realize that knocking out this wall might yield a huge improvement to my kitchen. And if money was unlimited, I'd be all for knocking it out and installing an island in it's place. I doubt I can afford this, but it's worth asking.

What would be the ballpark figure for doing THAT? The corner is load bearing, so I would have to pretty up that beam somehow. While I'm confident I could take out the non load bearing pieces myself, I'd much rather the contractor do it and install the island at the same time. I've learned i'm much better at taking walls apart than I am at putting them back together so they look clean and professional.

My THIRD questions is.. Can anybody recommend a reputable kitchen designer/installer in the Tacoma, WA area who is familiar with modern styled cabinets and designing in small spaces?

My FOURTH and final question is... Can anybody recommend any tricks during this remodel to maximize space.

The wall I'm speaking of is to the right of the fridge.

Thanks!

Chris

{{gwi:1926947}}

{{gwi:1926948}}

{{gwi:1926949}}

Comments (7)