SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramanihouse

Questions on Process for Owner Builder for single family residence

Amit Ramani
5 years ago

I am planning to build a 3400 sqft (under air) 2 floor single family residence in South Florida.

So far, the bids I have received seem to be excessively high with lots of hidden markups. In addition, the allowances for materials (granite, tile, cabinet, windows etc) are very low. I also do not like the idea of giving up control of the house to a contractor whose interests may not align with mine. The $ amount also does not make sense. For example, the line item for Air Conditioning is $22,000. I know from my previous experience that AC's cost about $3-$4k each. I doubt duct work would be more than a few thousand dollars.

As such, I am contemplating of doing this as Owner Builder. Instead of having a GC to oversee all different pieces, I am planning to hire sub-contractors (say for slab, walls, roof, bathrooms, electrical, plumbing, HVAC) independently. I have reached out to independent contractors (via Home Depot, Lowe's and Costco). Their respective estimates are much lower than the contractors, with bigger allowances for materials.

What are your thoughts on this? I understand I will need to have insurance for this. What are the common pitfalls? I am decent at reading plans and have a great architect that has drawn detailed plans.

Am I thinking of this the right way? Or is it too herculean a task to undertake?

Comments (34)