SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teapotmissy_gw

Kitchen Remodel in Progress - Need Countertop Advice

teapotmissy
13 years ago

Five months and 2 contractors later, we are finally nearing the end of our remodel. Thank you GWs for inspiration to keep trudging through and for sharing so many good ideas.

I need help in finalizing the countertop materials and edge treatment.

I selected a 2 cm calacatta marble for the perimeter countertops with a glass backsplash. I was planning for walnut or cherry wood planks on the island, but I'm scared away by the cost. The island countertop (4' X 8') in wood will cost double than the marble for the kitchen and the new master vanity. I really love the wood island tops, but I need some encouragement to spend that much.

My budget solution is to use Lumber Liquidators 25" wide cherry countertops on the perimeter and use marble on the island. I've never seen this done, and I'm not sure how that would work with the glass backsplash (already ordered and paid for). Would I be crazy to switch my countertop material (use wood on perimeter and marble on island)?

I also need help in deciding the edge treatment. If we stick with marble for the perimeter, I'm thinking about a mitered edge to give it the appearance of a thicker slab with only a 3/4" overhang. If I splurge and do the wood island top, I was planning to do a curvy ogee treatment with maybe a 1.5" overhang to highlight the dogear corners.

I'd appreaciate your advice before they start slicing the marble. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Remodel Album

Comments (6)