SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Progress - next step counter top install

Terri_PacNW
7 years ago

We had to put our remodel on hold a year plus ago, In fact we've experienced grown child frustration and heart ache. Because of that I thought my new kitchen was snatched away, I thought it would be years. I thought my new stove that was our first purchase towards it would sit in and old, peely gross kitchen.

And then we had a little good news financially and waited until December to be sure. It came to fruition. So I needed to finalize my Ikea order. I ordered the first week of January. I managed to get all new main living area flooring, because it was hard to decide where to stop the kitchen and our almost 3yr old carpet was horrid and stretchibg and coming up. (Weird openish floor plan.) That was not factoring into my kitchen budget. :)

So while waiting on cabinets, we started installing the flooring.

Cabinets are in, new appliances are in, hardware is on.

Counter top install is set for Mar 29! Carrara

There will be double open shelves on each side of the window.

As of right now, I plan no shelves or cabs on the stove wall.

I had been planning all along to do full walls of white subway above the counters. Now I'm looking into "faux" shiplap. But I've also been toying with a way to add some hand painted tiles.

I will also be doing something to the ceiling. Either shiplap look or "tin" tiles.

The range hood is up and functioning, plastic sheeting is still on. We aren't uncovering until the wall is done and the chimney is on. :)

We have DIY'd the whole thing.

Before with some things already removed.

The fridge wall used to be a coat closet and pantry. We gained 2 plus feet in the kitchen foot print even with the cabs and fridge.

New counter tops will go on this L.

Coffee bar has a maple butcher block counter top. Island/work table is Ikea too. I am a pro at Ikea now!

Our floor is Pergo Engineered hand scraped hardwood in Crescent Walnut.

I'm an expert at that too. :) I personally laid 95% of it.

To do List:

walls

ceiling

shelves

toe kicks

floor trim

new bar stools

Our budget was set at $10k. I think we are still with in it. Even with the purchases yet to happen that go with the above list.

This does not include appliances, except range hood. Also does not include floor. It was about $4k.

DIY makes a small budget doable! It's tiring though. But I wouldn't trade it. Every bit of me is in this space!

Comments (6)