SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Request pricing advice on my Craig's List posting

I am going to post these chairs for an older friend. He has a house crammed full of furniture, from when he had a booth at an antique mall. He closed the booth some years back, and just brought it all home. He is retired, on disability, and could use the money, though he knows on most of it he will not get much.

I had good luck selling my furniture on there last year, even the damaged stuff, so figure it is worth a try.

There are a pair, one chair with arms, one without. Mahogany, I think. I don't know how old they are. My Mom had a chair with similar carving, which she bought new in 1950. So I'm guessing these are 60 years old: not old enough to be antique, right? They need work, obviously. Besides the upholstery, at least some springs will need replacing.

I suggested he price them separately, then offer a discount for taking both. I understand everyone expects to bargain. Should he price them at one and a half times what he really wants to get? What could he expect to get in the end, after bargaining down, for these? This is in the Chicago area.

I know what he paid for them, but I hesitate to say, in case it affects your estimations. He does not expect a profit, but if he could cover what he paid, it would be good.

Thanks for your help!

The armchair

Side view of armchair

The armless chair

Upholstery damage on armchair

Comments (7)