SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callie8799

china patterns-care to share yours?

callie8799
15 years ago

Happy Holidays!

Finally got a china hutch-but need to fill it with fine china. I just don't know what I'm interested in.

I was wondering if you could share yours (description and or pix) and what you like about yours-is it holding up well or is it too fragile? How about serving pieces-are there enough offered or not enough?

One thing I do need to say(thus this post)I don't like going to the mall (esp. holiday time) and that is where our big stores that sell china are at. I may use this set 3-4 times a year.

Thanks so much for any insight and for sharing!

May you feel the peace of this season,

Deb

Comments (47)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I have Derby Border and Old Imari as my "good" china and then I have a bunch of other semi-sets: old Spode, Richard Ginori, Royal Copenhagen etc. I love china and most of mine has come from estate sales.

Take a stroll through Replacements, Ltd. and see what speaks to you. And if you don't think you'll use all the pieces, feel free to mix and match, etc. I sold my tea cups, as i couldn't see using them at a formal dinner. I got demi-tasse instead and am glad I did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacements, Ltd.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Mine are white with blue flowers around the rims and silver edging and I put them on gold charges when serving. However, I find it very limiting colorwise--esp. now that I've decorated my formal dining room in warmer greens, golds and red. I often do Thanksgiving at my home and would like to do something in a fall color scheme, but the china does not work. So, to compensate I always use my mother's ivory linen tablecloth and napkins (which I do love and has a great sentiment since it was one of her wedding gifts). You cannot see the pattern too well in this pic,but you get the idea:
    {{!gwi}}

I don't often use all the serving pieces since I don't typically set the food on the table, using instead an adjacent buffet. What I do like are the meat platters plus I have a couple of covered casseroles which are very nice.

I also have a set of Mikasa Stoneware--Garden Harvest--which is in the warmer colors, though I use that for semi-formal dining and the soup bowls are a perfect size for whenever we are having soup. I've been searching eBay occasionally to round it out--so far I've bought more dinner plates and coffee cups and saucers (which double as desert plates). For Thanksgiving I used the Mikasa for the kids' table. It looked very nice at the same time it's a bit more kid friendly.

If I did it over, I'd get just white and use the gold chargers for formal dining--very classic and versatile. Very easy to add on and mix and match. Some of my friends have them and also have lots of nice serving/appetizer dishes.

• Related Discussions

Please share your experience with these Chinas

Q

Comments (28)
    My Mme. Laurette Messime is from Chamblee's, in 2002. It doesn't look like the 'real' MLM, as I can't detect any yellow on the petal bases. But it certainly is a fine, happy rose. I'm NW of SA, & have only been here ~4 yrs. Previously lived sw of Houston, about 30 yrs. Old Blush here is new, an ARE plant. It's about 3.5' tall, a bit narrower & blooms all the time, in full sun. I hauled MLM up from the old place. She's about the same height, about 3.5' wide. I also added Natchitoches Noisette last year--it's been a heavy bloomer, very happy rose in full hot sun. If you want some baby plants, I've been running a bunch of cuttings under mist & have Little White Pet, Clotilde Soupert, Mme. Laurette Messime, Old Blush, Marie Pavie, a few teas, etc. These are little just-rooted babies, but if you'd like some, e-mail me & I can send in a couple of months when it's cooler.
    ...See More

What is your favorite pattern if you collect a china set?

Q

Comments (8)
    My personal set that my parents gave me when I was sixteen is Winterling Bavarian. We lived in Europe then, and I found out after the fact that it is a pattern one seldom sees exported to America. One teacup did not make the trip intact in the household goods brought back by ship, and my Mama carried around the names of replacement companies for years with no results. Thanks to the miracle of the internet, I did manage to find a replacement from a private party along with a couple of spare pieces. It has no pattern name, only a set of numbers and would be a dogwood design with gold embellishment. I suspect it was not a very widely produced pattern and to the best of my knowledge mid sixties would have been a good guess as to when production on it stopped.
    ...See More

Have to share fun, easy, fast gifty scarf pattern!

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm making scarves for christmas etc. I'm using lion brand Homespun yarn (nice and soft). One skein is enough I'm using one color. I'm simply knit stitch the entire thing on large (size 11?) needles to make "holy" webbed type scarf. At the end I've attached long fringe with beads (I've been using glass beads..... like cracked glass) in corresponding colors. I've made a couple and given away and so far they are a hit.
    ...See More

What Do You Put in Your China Cabinet, Other Than China?

Q

Comments (14)
    We used the top half of the china cabinet I inherited in the library of our former house. I had a plain box base made to hold it, stained it to the same color, and put it behind the small end of an L-shaped sofa, because with its own base, it was too tall to fit in our 8' rooms. It actually started life as a secretary-bookcase, but my great-grandfather, who bought it at auction, only bought the top half, and had a nice but distinctly inferior bottom made for it then. I've tried to find the other half, but with no success. Sigh. So much for its potential value. But I digress ... I put a few groups of nice old books, a couple of pewter pitchers, a plate or two, and some other attractive things in it. I also lined the back wall with a piece of cream jacquard fabric to lighten the whole business. Not sure how well you can see, but here it was: It was traditional in old houses to line the doors of large secretary-bookcases like this one with gathered green cloth to protect the books from sunlight, so you'd be in good company if you decided to put fabric in yours.
    ...See More
  • callie8799
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ideefixe: Thanks for the link to Replacements-I haven't visited that site yet, but hoping that will help me out!

valinsv: First, I must say your dining room looks so inviting and warm. I understand about the "cool colors" of your pattern vs the warm colors currently in your room. I do have my mom's pattern (do you think I can remember it now?? I know it's made by Noritake and the pattern came back out 9 yrs ago..) but it is white with gray flowers and silver banding on edge, my dr has gold, burgandy in it... I think it will get lost(the detail of the flowers) plus I tend to lean towards bolder patterns ( I do like Wedgewood's India pattern)....

• the4dsfromlhp
    15 years ago

Your mom's pattern sounds similiar to mine...Noritake Silver Palace. I registered for it 7 years ago, so maybe it is the same one? I love it b/c it's simple, yet timeless (in my opinion). I also love bold patterns too, but if I only have one set, I just wanted it to work well with a variety of table linens, etc. Good luck in your search!

Here is a link that might be useful: Noritake Silver Palace

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I have a variety of dishes ranging from Royal Copenhagen to Spode to inexpensive Japanese porcelain. The thread that ties them together is that everything is blue and white, so it all looks great together. My decorating tends to run to clear colors, so that helps.

For day-to-day, I find that Villeroy & Boch dishes hold up very well. (My inexpensive Mikasa did not.) I have bought two sets at Marshall's and Home Goods over the years. V&B also has outlets here and there, often with a back room stacked with the really inexpensive stuff. It's fun to dig through the piles! eBay is also a good resource once you find a pattern you like.

Whatever you decide on, it should flatter the food. All-over patterns make for a busy visual at dinnertime. That India pattern has just enough of a border to be interesting, but it won't compete with the food.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

You can fill a china cabinet with other things, and it would give you the option of changing out to match the room and the season.

In addition to the answers you get on this thread, maybe you could start another thread asking for photos of china cabinets dressed up with other things besides china sets.

I happen to have china and some glassware in mine, but I also have two ceramic cats and some family photos in silver frames.

• wodka
    15 years ago

Pre-Katrina, I had a china cabinet filled with two patterns - the one I chose when we got married, that I never was crazy about, and a set that my aunt gave me. I was strongly advised back then (1971) by the bridal consultants to pick something simple and go with a more elaborate crystal. I loved my crystal ("Kylemore" by Waterford) but my china, Gorham's "Platinum Rim" was just so boring. Later, my aunt gave me hers, which was beautiful - Castleton's "Sunnyvale." It all blew away. The only pieces I could find in my rubble were a few pieces of my everyday Villeroy and Boch, some cheap stoneware, and quite a few pieces of Corelle, that I had bought for a picnic!

Since I don't have a china cabinet any more, I haven't thought of choosing another china pattern at this stage in my life. I do have a nice everyday set that we bought from Target and of course, in really casual times, we eat off of our Corelle.

Sometimes places like Tuesday Morning will have nice starter sets of china. This being Christmas, you could choose a pattern and tell your family and friends who give you gifts, that that's what is on your wish list. A nice way to get started.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

We have Mikasa 'Garden Harvest' as our "good china" even though it is not formal at all. When we got married, we weren't the type to use formal china, and we're still not! I still like this china, but it is stored in a glass cabinet in my kitchen where it is hardly even seen, and I can't remember the last time I actually used it. In my two tall, narrow china cabinets (which are actually customized bookcases) in the dining room, I have on display glassware, some pottery, and other odds and ends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Harvest UNformal china

• teacats
    15 years ago

Well -- both of my patterns have been discontinued ....

Royal Doulton's old Lambethware "Cornwall" for my kitchen china -- used every single day and holds up like a trooper .....

Minton's "Bellemeade" -- only dusted -- hardly every used!

Gorham's "English Gadroon" silver from 1939

Odd and sods of Waterford .....

Wish I had picked a simple classic white/ivory pattern for my good china ....

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Sue, that's so funny...I chose Garden Harvest when we got married, too. I still think it's very pretty but I found the color (the bisque background) hard to work with as I like a mix-and-match look. I also found it didn't hold up well in daily use...not like the V&B. I am sure it looks lovely on display in your kitchen. The colors are just wonderful!

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

I received six place settings of my china as wedding gifts in 1986, but it went out of stock shortly thereafter. It is available on Replacements, but we never use it so I never bought any more. I still love it, but we so rarely do any "fancy" entertaining, that it almost never leaves the breakfront. The manufacturer is Minton, and the pattern is Legacy. Here's a photo.

• wodka
    15 years ago

teacats, when I chose my simple Gorham Platinum Rim, the pattern that was so popular at the time was Lenox's "Autumn" (the raised fruit, etc.) I always said that later in my life I would buy it, but never did. Now, I could care less, but back then, I really, really thought it was the most beautiful pattern.

happytobehome, your china is beautiful. It almost looks holiday-ish, with the colors.

• wodka
    15 years ago

Here's Lenox's "Autumn." Still timeless and elegant, although these aren't the best pictures - much warmer colors, in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: lawton antiques

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

I actually have three sets of china. The one I use most is a simple, undecorated cream from Mikasa. It sets well with either gold or silver and I often contrast it on silver or brass chargers.

{{!gwi}}
    I inherited Wedgewood, Creme on Lavendar in a grapeleaf pattern. It sets nicely with silver. Since I only have placesettings for 8 plus an extra dinner plate I'm probably going to auction this set.

{{!gwi}}

Lastly, I have some Ruby Depression glass. It sets nicely with silver and is festive for Christmas and Valentine's. Someday I'm going to downsize and auction it too as it just doesn't get used for other ocassions.

{{!gwi}}

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I have several sets of dishes. These are my "good company china". I inherited the set from my great grandmother and are about 100 years old. They're Johnson Bros, their Malaga pattern. I've purchased a few extra pieces from Replacemants, but have found their prices quite high. I have more luck on Ebay. This pic was taken last November as we were moving into our newly renovated kitchen.
    {{!gwi}}
    The color is a bit off on this pic of them from the Replacement's site. The colors are more soft IRL.
    {{!gwi}}
    I have Christmas china, but I know that's not what you want to see. I do have a plain white set, but got bored with them, so I don't use them much now that I bought this set over the summer. This pattern is Tangier.
    {{!gwi}}

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

I never got any china of my own. I have my mom's Franciscan Dawn (ca. 1960) and my grandmother's Schumann Empress Dresden Flower (1930s-50s, I think -- with some intrigue about finding pieces from thr GDR period). The Dresden is easy to find on Replacements, ebay or even antique malls. The Franciscan I don't see very often, but there is always some on ebay.

I used to keep it all displayed in my older homes where I had built-ins and china cabinets. Everything in this home is streamlined and spare, so I haven't even unpacked them from the move in August of 2008(!)

Franciscan Dawn

Dresden Empress Flower

• shea
    15 years ago

My pattern is Lenox Lowell. I chose it because its simple gold band lends itself to holidays, since it is used mostly for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It works so well with autumn and Christmas colors and centerpieces. I don't display it in my china cabinet. I display other things I collect, such as Flow Blue, crystal, silver and majolica.

I also have my grandmother's china, which I love. It is Noritake Glendive.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Noritake-Glendive-71227-Dinner-Plate-9-7-8_W0QQitemZ7327119803QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I love to look at china patterns. There are just so many out there, and you all have lovely ones. Most women have a passion for shoes, but for me it's dishes!

Deb, I would suggest starting by looking online. The manufacturers have good, large photos of the pieces. You should be able to narrow it down and get an idea of what appeals to you. Then go to the department store and see it in person. When you have made your selection, shop around for the best price (which will probably be Ebay, if you don't mind pre-owned). You can buy it for a fraction of retail on Ebay, with maybe only a few small utensil marks (which "new" will acquire after a few uses).

Have fun making your decision, and show us the one you select!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lenox Lowell

• Jane_the_Renovator
    15 years ago

One thing you might want to give some thought to: dishwasher friendliness.

My boss has a set of inherited gold-band formal china that she never uses. She has had parties with 20+ people for dinner and says it would be too much bother to hand wash it all. My mom's formal china, on the other hand, is a dishwasher-friendly Wedgewood. It all goes in the dishwasher--even the serving pieces.

I don't know your entertaining style, but it's always a good idea to consider the practical side.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

I have Lennox Hayworth. I like it because it's a plain cream color with the gold rim and it matches so well with all the Lennox giftware I have.
    I also have a service for 24 in Farberware china for the holidays, cause we are 22 for holiday dinners and I like everything to match.

Joann

• sue36
    15 years ago

I have Lenox "Lowell" (Shea linked to it above), Lenox "Holiday" and Thomas "Aragon" (discontined). The Thomas was my grandmother's, then my mother's. Lowell has a medium width gold embossed border (Winchester is similar with the real wide border). I picked it out when I was 18 and still love it. Holiday I started collecting in college.

One good thing about a simple pattern, like the simpler Lenox patterns, is you can get just the dinner plates from other patterns and mix them in. I am thinking of getting Autumn dinner and salad plates. I also want to get something more spring-like for Easter.

We use Portmeirion Botanic Garden and Johnson Regency for everyday.

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I love my china - Fitz and Floyd Cobalt. It is white with a wide cobalt blue band. My DH was in the Navy for 33 years and we used it for many dinners - very patriotic. It has been discontinued but I still love it.
    I have too many sets of dishes - my sister in law came to visit and was shocked at how many sets I have - never thought about it but I do have a lot. :)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I wash mine in the dishwasher, but I don't use any detergent, which is so hard on the gold. The Old Imari is gaudy as heck, but I like that about it.

• shea
    15 years ago

Sue reminded me of something I like to do. I have a set of Lenox holiday nouveau salad plates which I use at Christmas with the Lowell pattern. A simple pattern provides more flexibility, as you can mix other things in with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lenox Holiday Nouveau

• southernheart
    15 years ago

ideefixe, Old Imari is one of my favorite patterns! I think it's elegant, not gaudy. :)

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Here's mine. I have the Tennyson pattern from Royal Doulton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Doulton

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Oh, near & dear to me - I just love china, porcelain, glass - the antique/vintage variety

Here's a pic of my Royal Worcester from 1880's - I lurked after it in a local consignment shop for months before finally pulling the trigger

Seems w/so many people doing away with DR's lovely china is being literally given away - be patient and a good hunter & you will be quite glad w/what you find - Craigs list, eBay, Goodwill, local consignment shops

I have picked up lots of other dishes to go with these - Limoge, Royal Dalton, Tiffany, Minton - mainly simple gold trimmed

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I don't have a pic of china to share as I collect and use ironstone, but I had a funny comment about china to share. DS1 assumed that our plates and stuff were china and while playing tea party a few weeks ago asked me if I went to China to get all of our china. I thought it was cute.

• sundownr
    15 years ago

My wedding china is Lennox Holiday. Not very versatile but I love it. My mom gave me a set of china for my wedding but I don't remember the pattern. White, very simple with a beautifl blue iris. I can probably serve 25 -30 people with new Fiesta, 10 or 12 with old Fiesta, 12 for barbq with some cowboy dishes that have boots, saddles, spurs on the rim, 12 for breakfast with some fun comical hens with pearls and earrings, 10 with some country dishes with little blue flowers, and only 6 for coffee and dessert with Haviland from my great grandmother.

I love dishes. :)

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

My "good good" stuff is Bernardaud's Artois Green. Reminds me of Paris everytime I look at it. My "better than everyday but we're not entertaining the boss" stuff is Villeroy & Boch's Petite Fleur and everyday stuff is Royal Doulton's Chanticlair.

• callie8799
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi again! It's the original poster...
    just want to say that I went from not knowing what style I want

to...

wanting them all! I think I have china envy! :) Now, what to do?? First, I want to thank everyone who has contributed
    pictures, links, discriptions, thoughts, insights to this- I do appreciate it. I wish I can respond to each one of you, but I have cookies baking and need to keep husband away from them :) if I am going to share them with our neighbors.

All the designs are really beautiful- I'm finding that I'm drawn to the sets that are quite old. Like jejvtr stated, I am looking at local consignment shops and craigslist for sets. I would start a new set(once I decide on something) but with my luck, they will discontinue the pattern before I can get enough.

Thanks so much, ladies for sharing with me and with others. I know I am going to be searching for this thread real soon!

Happy Holidays!
    Deb

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I posted a picture of our china when I was thinking of buying it and about 30% liked or loved it and 70% were horrified heh heh DH ended up buying it for me for a gift...can't remember what...maybe valentines? We don't normally do housewares as gifts but I told him he could make an exception in this case heh heh

It's Rosenthal, Versace Medusa (in red) and we absolutely love the drama of it. It's also gorgous with my venetian glass (I have a large collection of amber colored). We have yet to have a guest get up and leave the table screaming...but heck, it could happen :oP

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic here

• segbrown
    15 years ago

Spode "Colonel Blue" is my most formal pattern (shown in hutch), and Wedgwood "White" is my less formal pattern. It's a workhorse, as it goes with everything, and the shape matches my Christmas china (Wedgwood "Nordica," which has been discontinued).

• wodka
    15 years ago

igloochic, count me among the 30% who love your Medusa china - I think it's fantastic - I bet it sets your table beautifully!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

" we have yet to have a guest get up from the table screaming" THAT's because if you look at Medusa - you turn to stone!!! Actually I love it too, just love to poke you.
    I have my Mom's set of china that is like Valinsvs. That is my goes in the DW best. I have a huge set of Limoges from DHs DM's GM I believe her twin sister had half and My MIL had half- which has been divided again in half- and I have a set for 12. Yeah at least someone in the family was way wealthy- at one point! anyway it is lovely bone china with tiny vines of roses in gold around the rim trailing into the center with hand painted gold trim on the edge. I will see if I can post a pic for you later at home,since you are fond of old china.

• upa_lazy_river
    15 years ago

My MIL gave me her china and I was thrilled because it held so many memories for my DH. It goes with nothing I own nor the colors in my dining room, but I love it just the same. I usually put the plates on a gold charger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Syracuse Symphony Pattern 1940's

• marisany
    15 years ago

I am enjoying all the photos of old china - I love those patterns.

I have to say that I find the Medusa spectacular! If it weren't so expensive I might be tempted.

I have six place settings of Royal Worcester Serenade, from years ago:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RW_SER.htm

This was my taste in my early 20's. I like stronger patterns now. The pattern was discontinued many years ago, and I don't want to pay Replacements prices. When I use it, I mix it with old German china we inherited from my husband's grandmother - white with a delicate pink and blue pattern.

My everyday china is Villeroy and Boch Audun, four mixable patterns. I have mostly the simpler ones:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/5/optimized/78975_fpx.tif%3Fwid%3D250%26fmt%3Djpeg%26qlt%3D100&imgrefurl=http://french-luxury.com/dinnerware.html&usg=__6fhMyWukaNYzis_Pbb6bOOEayPs=&h=305&w=250&sz=69&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=WKfDAYLbRQ1dcM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvilleroy%2Bboch%2Baudun%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff

I love this china because it is indestructible. I had Mikasa English Countryside for a few years, but it chipped like crazy.

I've always liked Wedgwood India.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

My "go to" pattern has been Villeroy and Boch Amapola for the last, oh, 27 years. Most meals, daily. But I inherited a serious and unrelenting china compulsion, and some patterns from same, so we also have V&B Manoir (half went to DS1 when he got his own apartment);Bauhaus (to DS2, likewise); Lenox Wheat; a cobalt and gold very, very formal, old, unnamed one; Wedgwood Strawberry and Vine;
    Haviland Symphony Platinum

Raynaud Marie Antoinette Gold

Wedgwood Ashbury;
    Portmeirion Botanic Garden
    {{!gwi}} Honestly, I think the older ones were more intensely colored than the new.
    Bernardaud Paris (c. 1980s-90s); Something blue and white and blue onion-ish; Assorted service plates, e.g. Philippe Deshouilieres Carat
    {{!gwi}}
    Almost all have been discontinued, leading to the conclusion that if my parents liked it or I like it, most people don't? (Pictured are the ones still manufactured.)
    Anyway, I also recommend Villeroy and Boch for every day, robust use. Also, Lenox has a couple of patterns that are pretty dressy with gold or silver trim that are okay for microwave and dishwasher, very understated, and very versatile, Continental Gold. It is yet another retired pattern, so you would need to find it on Ebay or similar venue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lenox

• cherigw
    15 years ago

. . .sans flatware. . Thun Greek Key(Bavarian). No longer in production (inherited from my Mom who said the factories were blown up in WWII. . .don't know this to be a fact). Have added several servicing pieces via ebay (platters, serving bowls, gravy boat). I love it because when set w/ flatware, it really seems to pull silver and gold together.

• valley57
    15 years ago

I picked out my china, Noritake Paradise, when we married in 1979. It was discontinued a short time after but I have seen pieces available on-line. I loved it then and still do--(as does my 26 year old daughter so I guess it was a good choice). We use it for all our holiday dinners.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

jejvtr give me all of your antique dishes and I will let your husband go unharmed and intact. lol

I love old dishes, my favorite is brown or black transferware. I only have a few pieces that I don't use just display.

I just bought some casual shabby chic blue dishes that look quite good.

Now give me your dishes or else!

......Jane

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Johnson Brothers:

Red and white transferware....the main collection is "Memory Lane", but I have individual pieces of lots of others:

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I have a few place settings of Noritake Sweet Leilani. Never used them, ever, so can't speak to durability. They've been through quite a few moves unscathed though. :)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

The china we use for everyday use is Finlandia by Churchill.

My grandparents turned their old Victorian farmhouse into a small inn during the depression, and took in guests. My grandmother cooked for their boarders, and accrued a large collection of china. When she died, there were vintage collections of brown and white transferware, several sets of Syracuse china, and some lovely glass dishes. I inherited some of these pieces, and my sister has the rest. My favorite is a service for 10 that I use for special occasions, holidays and large family gatherings. That is the Old Ivory "The Hostess" china made by Syracuse in the 1930's. It brings back many fond family memories and I love the colorful vintage pattern.

During the winter months when we eat a lot of hearty stews, soups and spaghetti, I prefer to use my antique flow blue pottery, because they have such deep wide bowls and soup plates. Then I'll use either the Burgess & Leigh, NonPareil soup plates, which date back to the mid 1800's, or my Waldorf by New Wharf pottery bowls. I have enough dinner plates and bowls for each pattern to serve 8. This is the Burgess & Leigh Flow Blue, the Waldorf pattern is shown in earlier posts.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

nanny2a, I have lots of Finlandia pieces too! I like it a lot but I had already invested in Fiesta for everyday use before we got the Finlandia from family, so it too sits unused in our house.

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

I have my grandmother's china I use at Christmas adn other holidays:

{{!gwi}}

This is my everyday:
    {{!gwi}}

And this is from a teas set that was my great great or great great great grandmother's. It has 98 piece, adn was used only for tea.
    {{!gwi}}

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Mine is Bavarian made by Heinrich (H&Co.). My dad bought it in Germany in the early 60's for my grandmother. When she died it went to my mom and she gave it to me when mom and dad divorced. When I was a kid I thought it was the ugliest china that existed but now I think it's the most beautiful and unique. It's a complete 94 piece set that serves 12 and not one piece has a chip. I don't know what the pattern is called but it does have a platinum band. I've seen the same pattern online with a gold band but I have yet to find any with platinum.

• cearab
    15 years ago

I have the Villeroy & Boch 'Petite Fleur' pattern. I can wholeheartedly give this and all Villeroy China my strongest recommendation. I am rough on my things; not intentional, but that's the way it is. My Villeroy China goes into the dishwasher every day. I have had no problems whatsoever with the quality and durability of the product. Honestly, it still looks brand new. I have many extra serving pieces; casserole dishes, soup bowls, serving dishes, etc, with the same pattern. EVERYTHING has held up well. The few pieces over the 15 years I have had this pattern that have chipped have been replaced by the company without question. Other relatives have Villeroy and we all have had the same positive experience. I live in a tiny house and unfortunately, have no room for a second set of china. So I bought something good that I could use for every day and for company as well. As you can tell, I am very pleased with this product. Wish I could say the same for everything else I own!

Here is a link that might be useful: Petite Fleur