SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Welcome to my weird LR and help! (lotsa pics)

oceanna
16 years ago

My sofa and chair came back from the upholsterer today. :D

Finally I have something at least to show you to ask for your wonderful help -- hooray!

Here they are, all rebuilt from the ground up and covered in mohair velvet (which is a little hard to photograph). I think the cushions need to settle down a little bit but they should when they get sat on more:

{{gwi:1901197}}

{{gwi:1901198}}

The wall behind the chair will be changed.

Should I re-stain that coffee table darker? If yes, can you suggest a product please?

Here is my fainting couch:

{{gwi:1901199}}

When I first got it, it had just been reupholstered with a pale fabric with a grey undertone. When I put this covering on it, all of a sudden the wood just came alive and sang. So it really does matter what colors I put on it.

Here it is next to the newly recovered couch. I think it clashes, or at least they don't do anything for each other. Do you agree? The braid on the fainting couch is beige, not pink. The tones in the flowers are a peachy dusty rose, not pink. The couch and chair are now a rich deep tomato red, not pink red.

BTW, I *hate* that carpet and it needs to go, so please try not to let it influence you. What would you put there instead with five dogs in the house?

{{gwi:1901200}}

Here it is with the fabric I bought to re-upholster the fainting couch, draped over it. Should I re-cover it with this? Or leave it as is? Or look for some other fabric, and if so, in what color tones? I do like a patterned tapestry fabric on it. It's worn very well and it adds interest to the piece.

{{gwi:1901201}}

Here is the LR if I back up a bit. The cab on the left will be reorganized when I can find where the movers hid the shelves. I need to find my real Christmas tree skirt too. But this will do for now.

{{gwi:1901202}}

What do you think of the wall color? I can adjust it, but it has to go with this wall painting (no, that's not wallpaper). Every time I've suggested to any visitor that I'm thinking about painting that back out, turning the wall a solid color there, everyone yells "NO!" The general wall color is at the top of this painting, and throughout the living room. I'm thinking the walls are a tad bit too yellow. Any ideas for what might be better? Maybe I just need to paint out those stripes and replace them with wider stripes in the wall color? They've always struck me as too pinkish.

{{gwi:1901203}}

{{gwi:1901204}}

I'm beginning to think the sofa and chair are going to be a bit hard to colorize around. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments (58)

• Sujafr
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your antiques are gorgeous! And the fainting couch is so unusual! You must get lots of compliments on all of it.

I second Sippimon's ideas for wall colors to go with your fireplace and drapes. How wonderful that you can make drapes! Talented!

As for the couch, Like pdg777, I'm not sure that either the current upholstery on it or the tapestry fabric you might use has enough of the red of your sofa and chair to fit into this room, but maybe it's my monitor. Neither seem to really work with those IMHO, but maybe I'm not seeing the true color. If you really want to use the couch in your LR with the red pieces, perhaps another fabric would work. Here's a sample from housefabrics.com that might work and also pick up some of the color of the brick, unless it's just not right for something this antique. Ignore me, if that's the case...LOL The other fabric you have is beautiful, but seems to lack the red it needs.

{{gwi:1901214}}

{{gwi:1901216}}

What great ideas the others have for flooring! It'll be fun to see you getting it all together, and so pretty already!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sippi! I do love my antiques. It took me a long time to find what I wanted. They were perfect in my last house, but I'm not so sure about here yet. So you would go ahead and re-cover the f.c. and leave it there? My guests always have loved it. I have to have it against a wall. The back is just held on by two boards on the back and I've always been scared someone would lean back hard and crack them. So that's the only place in the LR where it can go as the wall across is the fireplace, and the other is the window, and on the other end it opens to the DR.

The good news is my dogs aren't in the LR very much. The bad news is there is no such thing as a dog who is easy on carpet, IME. There's always those times when they get the runs and can't hold it, or they ate grass in the yard and ralph it up, and we all know they'll travel for miles looking for the one last square foot of carpeting in the world if they need to do any of that.

I've read on other forums that people who put in wood say their dogs have it all scratched up six months later. I do have a little laminate here, and like you I had to put rugs down as they slip on it. That is particularly heartbreaking and worrisome when you have old dogs.

You can see my vinyl floor above. My son came over and said it looked fake. The guy who brought the OAK table over to my house and set it on my FAKE OAK floor was shocked to learn it was vinyl; he thought it was real. So I dunno. I just know the vinyl is super easy keep, inexpensive, and easy to install it myself. So that's why I'm tempted to put it throughout and just give the buyers a carpeting allowance when I sell the place, which hopefully won't be for a decade or so.

Thanks about the coffee table. I'm not worried about its antique value as it's missing a piece of trim on the side you can't see... so I have no qualms about staining it (whereas I would never touch the f.c. or the armoire). The armoire will be going downstairs; it's just too huge for in there but that's where the movers plopped it before they ran away.

That's what I was thinking about painting that wall versus the drapes. But let's take it back to ground zero. If I leave the f.c. in there and re-cover it, and paint that wall out (or not?) what drapes should I put there? What I have there was okay for the short term, but I can't pull them shut. I'd like to be able to do that once in a while, as you can see that window looks out over the entire street.

Thanks for the suggestions on the paint colors. I should see if I can photoshop those.

Like I said in another post, the whole room is up in the air except for the sofa and chair. I'm wide open to suggestions from the decorating gurus here!

• Related Discussions

My little LR is now green! (Lots of pics ...)

Q

Comments (57)
    Wow, I love it! Really brightens and lightens things up. When I saw the before pic something triggered in my memory that I know this house, know this person. I had not looked at who posted but thought someone was copying auntjen or it was auntjen. And it is! Isn't it amazing how we can take something as simple as wall color and make all the things we love look that much better?! What I love about this home is that it is so personal yet done so well. Not everyone can pull of what she has.
    ...See More

Help! I've made terrible mistakes with LR (pics)

Q

Comments (66)
    I love the furniture you've picked out. It will look bright and cheery and just the feeling of the inspiration pics you've posted in your other threads...once you paint! Paint the darn room already! :) My last house had muddy mauve and no natural light (houses on three sides and a big porch on the other). As soon as I painted, it changed everything. Even my mood was better. And if you have a front porch, I suggest you paint the porch ceiling blue. It made a big difference looking out my window and seeing Martha Stewart's Porch Ceiling Blue. Almost as good as being able to see the sky. :) Let your room evolve. Don't feel like it has to be "done" right away. Take your time finding art and accessories that you love. You're doing great and you're going to have a lovely space to enjoy.
    ...See More

DR drapes & Before/After of LR (lots of pics)

Q

Comments (29)
    kmcg85, I saw that thread and thought, gee, those look familiar. ;-) Yours look gorgeous, too! Nice to see the drapes paired with another wall color. Love the saloon sign. I was tempted by the matching shades, too, but I've decided that adding a band of the fabric (I'm taking apart a panel to do this) to the top of the silk Dupioni drapes I bought ages ago from PB for the LR will be enough. Well, maybe. I also need to have a half-moon valance made for the window above our entry. I have an extra silk panel I intend to use for that area and I might add a band of the print along the bottom edge. Or maybe 3 vertical bands. Or maybe ... I'm still mulling possibilities but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding a bit of this fabric to the entry valance. Are you crafty? What if you added a band of the fabric at the bottom of the shades you already own? They sell 24" pillows in this fabric so you wouldn't need to buy a whole panel for this small job. Or maybe add a band of trim that is the same color as the background of the drapes? Perhaps crazy ideas but what the heck. Sometimes, great ideas sprout from crazy ideas. schoolhouse, the holidays' craziness will make the time fly by. Before you know it, your panels will be here.
    ...See More

Can anyone help my long and ugly LR/DR

Q

Comments (31)
    Thank you Bev for giving me the visualization I've been lacking! It really helps! I agree that the colors In the painting have been giving me difficulty. I may try to move it into the DR or another room, but it is quite large, so I'm not sure. In any case, you have helped me feel bolder about getting started on this project. Thank you!! Chucksmom: I I00% agree that if you love something, it doesn't matter if it's "out". In my case, I do think I'm tired of the colors and need a change. Since the whole house needs painting, it seems like a good time to implement these changes. The chandelier was something I really loved for a long time, but I need a aimpler look. I have a friend who wants it and it will be perfect in her DR. Kippy: I've always thought it was strange that the furniture faces the stairs. Maybe it's partly why the room feels weird to me. That and the high ceilings make it feel cold. We actually never use that room other than when there are large gatherings that spill into that part of the house. We all congregate in the FR. Kitchen and backyard, though the cats like to curl up on the sofa!
    ...See More
  • oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I think you're right about the f.c. fabric. When I bought the f.c. fabric I was thinking of subduing the red. But now that I see it finished, I think you're right that I should embrace it.

I really like that fabric you selected. Can you please help me find it on the housefabric.com web site?

Another thought I had was going with navy blue in there. I could kind of picture a formal rug with red and blue tones. Crazy? Hard to find? What if I went with something like this on the f.c.? Similar to what you picked but with a navy background... would it "kill" the wood tones on the f.c.?

http://housefabric.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=6903

Yes, I can sew drapes. My mama was a good seamstress and she taught me a lot, bless her. The drapes I posted about over in the sewing forum are these. I just flipped over them. They would be a bear and expensive to make, though, and I don't know what fabric I could find. Simple drapes aren't at all hard to sew (though the ones below sure would be), so why not go take a sewing class to learn how?

{{gwi:1901218}}

This sort of gets into patterns and how much is too much.

1. I really do like a pattern on the f.c. The current pattern is impervious to muddy dog footprints.

2. Add a wood floor and a patterned rug.

3. Now what are you going to do about the drapes?

So as you can see, I'm struggling right now with the pattern dilemma, and also with whether to go in a green-gold-brown direction with the red pieces, or whether to go in a navy blue and maybe gold direction.

Help, help, help! lol!

Oh, and I can change the tone on the fireplace any time I want. That's easy. :-)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a rough layout of that part of the house, not to scale. The wall behind the fainting couch (f.c.) is a half wall that overlooks the staircase going down to the front door. There is a wicker side table to the right of the f.c. (as you're facing it) and the antique victrola is tho the left of the f.c. and the right of the sofa.

{{gwi:1901220}}

The f.c. has to back up on a wall and that's the only wall where it fits. Should it stay or go? How should the room be arranged? I would like the victrola to stay, but the fake new one on the left of the couch can go if need be -- though I love the lamps sitting up high on both of those pieces.

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

Love the newly upholstered chair, and love the fainting couch even more, but I'm not sure I like them in the same room. Maybe not so much because of the fabric but rather because the fainting couch seems to be a much heavier piece than the others, but I'm definitely no expert :-)

The second fabric for the painting couch is very nice!

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

The new uphostelry looks fantastic.

Regarding the floors, I have 4 dogs and replaced the carpeting in the house with Pergo laminate. We went with the Pergo Vintage Home line, because it has texture to it. So it looks more realistic and it's less slippery. We chose laminate over hardwood because the Pergo holds up better than hardwood, with our 4 young and active terriers. We went with an oak color because we like it, and because the color is very forgiving for dust or dirt. The floor cleans with a damp mop and it has a lifetime guarantee. I find it much easier to clean than carpet and also easier than cleaning hardwood.

Good luck,
    Lynne

If you are happy with the vinyl in your kitchen, then I would go with it through the rest of the house. It looks great and sounds like it's low maintenance and cost effective.

I wouldn't worry about the carpeting allowance. In 10 years, any carpeting you had would need replacing. Also, I'm in Florida and more and more people are replacing their carpeting with laminate or engineered wood - especially for those of us who have 4 legged furry members of the family.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is so strange to me that people are saying that the couch and f.c. don't go together. They never said that before in all the years I had them together. I think it's because the upholstery guy turned the wood on the couch and chair darker than it was -- and I don't like it that dark but I suspect there's nothing I can do about it now?

Thanks for your vote for the second fabric. I think maybe Sujafr is right that I need more red in the fabric if I keep the f.c. in the LR.

• les917
    16 years ago

Wonderful antiques! A very warm, charming room.

I wish we had a scale drawing of the room and the furniture. I would wonder if there aren't other ways to arrange the room to make the most of the pieces you have.

I think the fainting couch is absolutely wasted on the half wall - is there a reason it can't go in front of the window instead of the red couch? It has the weight and height to fill some of the wide window space, where on the half-wall it fights with the wood trim and the height of the wall.

I would love to see something like this on the fainting couch. I think it has the right reds in it, and the pattern compliments all the carved detail on the piece. It is a chenille, which would seem to be the perfect fabric for a fainting couch!

classic paisley

I would stain the table base to a darker finish, to fit better with what you have in the room. As much as I admire the detail work on the walls, I don't think it goes with the rest of the space, and the stripes are, honestly, awful with the brick next to them. I think it is also odd that the design is just on that one wall - it chops up the already limited wall space, imo.

Have you considered adding a mantel or re-facing the fireplace at some point? It feels like it doesn't really fit your decor.

Obviously the drapery is too short for the window for starters. I could see something very full, with wonderful tassel or bullion fringe trim. Something perhaps like the side panels and draped valance in this link:

west park jacquard

What brand is your vinyl wood floor? Thinking of doing something like that at some point.

• Sujafr
    16 years ago

Hi, Oceanna,
    You asked for the link to that black and red fabric so I'll include it below, but I think the one you found was also very pretty, too. I love navy and red myself!

That said...I decided to look again at your pics of the tapestry fabric you have already and am having second thoughts about it. Although the red in it is darker, maybe it blends well enough, especially if you could toss in a couple pillows that pick up some of the other colors to accent your red sofa and chair---several others seem to think they go together, and if you already have the fabric, that's quite a savings. The fainting couch seems to need an antique looking fabric, which that certainly is.

I've also heard great reports about the Pergo Lynne mentioned working well with animals, but am inclined to feel that using too many different materials would be less desirable than going with carpet or one of the two hard floorings you already have going on in the adjacent rooms--either the laminate from the DR (if matchable, and since you thought that was unlikely, then maybe better to go with the vinyl in the kitchen (photo looks really pretty--you did a great job!) and add an area rug for the dogs and to warm your toes. Costco has some beautiful inexpensive wool oriental ones in 8x10 or smaller and might have one that would work with your colors. Although now thinking of what you said about the furry fellows ralphing on it--maybe a synthetic rug or carpet is better? I don't have animals in the house usually, so not sure about what's best there, but know that our barn/garage cat always finds the lightest colored thing to lay on when he sneaks in and sheds all over it. He's a snuggler so he's hard to resist.

Your furniture is really beautiful so don't stress about the wood colors.

The drapery pic is quite amazing. I've never seen an asymmetrical one like that--think it would be hard for me to live with, even though it's very striking. I have a hard time just putting something on the diagonal and liking it--keep wanting to straighten it...LOL

Have fun with your project! I'm a DIY'er, too and even tackle sewing at times, but maybe a class would help so I don't have to rip out so much. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wimberly black fabric

• lucy
    16 years ago

What struck me apart from everything else is how terrific your window wall would look with ceiling height, wall-to-wall drapes (rather than the smallish panels you have now).

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Lynne,

Thanks about the new upholstery. :-)

Thanks too for saying it would be okay to do the vinyl, but I'll look into the Pergo you mentioned. Sounds good. You do have a point about it being years down the road (with any luck) when I sell... the only floors that lasted in my last house were either wood or tile. How long is Pergo supposed to last?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, thanks so much for weighing in on this. Your thinking is a lot along my own lines and I just love your flair for decorating.

I definitely want to stain the coffee table darker. It sticks out like a sore thumb now that the upholsterer darkened the wood so much on my couch, which was a shock to me and I don't like it that dark. I should have told him not to touch it. Oops.

I keep thinking the same thing about that wall; I want to paint it out to a solid. Maybe I should wait to see what I do with the couch, floor and rug before picking a paint color?

I love the fabric you picked for the f.c. That would really complement the rich tones of the wood. Those drapes are absolutely sumptious! I will look seriously into both of these.

I would love to put the f.c. in front of the window and totally agree with you about that. But there are actually two problems with it. One is that the piece isn't pretty on the back. That might not be a problem as it's a second story window almost... but I'd have to check to see how it looks from the street.

The second problem with putting the f.c. on the window wall is potentially a lot more serious. The way that "headboard" piece is attached to the back of the f.c. is with two vertical boards is all. They're each about 4" wide and are toward the outer ends. Everyone and his little dog always heads for the f.c. to sit (I don't know why) and I'm terrified that someone will lean back too hard on the back and I'll hear a cracking noise as the screws strip out of the piece and the back falls off. Seems to me I recall hearing it make a cracking noise in the old house once when someone leaned on it. That's why I've always kept it braced against a wall, and that's the only wall in the room.

Do you see any potential solution to that? Anyone?

I suppose I could drill a couple more boards into it, but that really screws up the antique value, doesn't it? I could almost see bracing it to the floor with a diagonal board in the back, but that seems tacky. It would have to sit out from the window enuf to allow clearance for the drapes. I almost wonder if some type of sofa table behind it would work, but it would have to be a heavy sucker.

I love my kitchen floor. It doesn't show muddy dog prints! I was literally mopping my formerly white kitchen floor FIVE times a day all last winter. I mop this about every three days and just vacuum it in between and I'm talking five dogs in and out there at least five times a day.

The floor is from Lowe's... it's Novalis. It comes in a few colors. Here, I'll put a link to a discussion about it that's in the GW Flooring board for you so you can see what others said about it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Novalis peel-and-stick vinyl planks -- feedback?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't have a scale drawing of the area, but I did post the closest I could come to it up higher in this thread. Did you see that?

• jjam
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

I love your new upholstery. That is a gorgeous red, and there's no turning back now, so embrace it and keep going with it. I agree with Les that the fainting couch should be in front of the window, and choose a fabric that really highlights the red. If that is the piece that people are drawn to, it should be your primary seating spot. The other two pieces are outstanding as well, but could be supporting players. Other thoughts that pop into my head are to paint over the stripes, find an old oriental rug; worn is fine. Sometimes the old Karastans have great color and can be found on ebay for a song. I also love your lamps but they should be at different levels; they are both placed very high and would be more interesting if one were placed lower. You're on the right track with drapes, although I would work on the furniture first; especially the arrangement. Your furniture pieces are outstanding and once you are finished with them might want the drapes to add texture and height to your room but may not need more pattern, etc. I would just leave the coffee table alone for now and wait until you have a rug, then see how it looks. Once you accessorize the top of your coffee table the legs may not even be an issue. As far as the woods in general, it's just part of the territory with old pieces; and I've had that concern in some of my rooms, too. Your eye will adjust; and the right accessories can help settle things down. Great start to a fabulous room!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for hanging in here with me. I thought the navy might be cool, and unexpected. But did you see what Les picked out? What do you think of that and the draperies? I've spent hours looking for an alternate fabric for the f.c. and have come up totally empty handed.

I didn't even think of the fact that red pillows on the f.c. would bring out the red in the fabric. Duh me and good for you! I do feel that the fabric I got would wear well, which is important to me. It's a thick tapestry. Believe it or not there are hinges on the front of the f.c. It opens into a bed! Who knew they had hide-a-beds that long ago? lol! Anyway, the hinge area is a place where the fabric can easily wear, not because I'm opening it but because of the metal. So I do want a tough fabric. But the one I picked is a bit dull, I think.

Yep, I'm worried about a bunch of flooring changes in close proximity too. Thanks for seconding that I could go with the vinyl throughout. It sure is practical. I suppose if someone scruitinizes it they can figure out it's not real wood, but I doubt most people would even think to question it. I figure if their vision is good enough that they get stinky about the floor they can also see their way to the front door - haha!

Thanks, I'll check out Costco for a rug. I'll have to pace off what would be about the right size in there. What IS it with dogs and cats always doing bad things to rugs? Sheesh, they act like animals.

Thanks about the wood colors. I do think I'll stain the table. It's not priceless and it's bothering me that light. But there's no way I'd touch the wood on the f.c.

I have to laugh at your comment on the drapes. They were entered into a professional drapery makers' contest somewhere and I nabbed the pic off the web. With the help of the sweethearts on the sewing forum I figured out that those drapes would take a whopping amount of fabric. Just ridiculously expensive.

Thanks for the link on that fabric. I'm a bit sorry it's a black background; I had hoped it was a very dark brown. But I'm still afraid it's a bit thin. It sure is pretty with the couch, though. You have a wonderful eye!

I do DIY to save money. But it becomes a habit and there are so many triumphant moments to it, aren't there? I really do love doing it myself (not always during, but after). Ripping out seams pretty much sucks. Wouldn't it be fun if there were a drapery sewing class in your area? I salute you for being a DIY'er too. :-)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lucy, you're totally right about the drapes. The way things were before the shorty length of them was hidden from view. That wall would look much better with a really opulent drapery treatment. Did you see Les's link? What do you think of those?

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Hi Oceanna-
    Your sofa and chair are magnificent... and I think with the art nouveau wall border it works very well...

The fainting sofa, which is lovely, really is just too pastel to hold its own against the red. The other fabric you put on it is darker but seems too burgundy to me. Maybe more of a William Morris type fabric with a truer red in the pattern might do the trick?

I also agree with the person who said the fireplace was fighting with the stripes. Could the lower part of the wall be a darker green found in the nouveau border? That would work with the cream, the reds, and whatever the fainting sofa becomes.

Also, have you thought of adding a wooden Victorian mantle/mirror to the fireplace? It might tone down the quantity of pattern the fireplace seems to give off.

Just some ideas, anyway.

I LOVE your decorative items... Your lamps and small furniture. And that red sofa would be right at home in my own livingroom! It's a joy to see!

-Jenn

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

oceanna, the new fabric on the sofa and chair are fantastic. Love it. And the fringy lamp. And I love, love, love the victrola too! I agree with others that you could make the coffee table legs darker.

As for the fabric for the fainting couch, I would figure out the arrangement of the room first, in case you wind up moving the fainting couch to a different room. And it sounds reasonable that you should keep it against the wall.

Do you have enough room to put the sofa and chairs around the fireplace? (Is there a 2nd chair?) Either sofa facing it, with chairs flanking the fireplace, or sofa parallel and chairs parallel on the other side? I would start from there then fill in the rest of the room.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Hi Oceanna:

I love the red velvet couch and chair. I agree neither fabric is quite right for the fainting couch--keep looking. It sounds like this will be your focal point. If you do decide to put this under the window, think carefully about the two fabrics--couch and window treatments to make sure they go well together.

I agree to take out the stripes on the wall. Have you considered painting your brick?

As for the flooring, I've had laminent before and I do prefer real wood flooring though with 5 dogs I see the concern. Part of what bothers me about your particular laminent is the grain pattern is really busy and will fight for attention with all the other wood pieces in the room. It also has more of a modern look to me than antique. However, if you put a large persian rug under it'd really pull everything together. In fact, I'd suggest you pick the rug first before the WT and new fabric for the fainting couch. That is what will pull it all together and soften all the wood you have there. I like the idea of an older used one. I've seen some beautful ones in my local CL that would go perfectly with your new upholstery.

As for whether or not the fainting couch goes with everything else, the important thing is you love it and it has a sense of history to it. It looks like your coffee table has a marble top which will look better with a darker stain as well.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Love the red fabric AND the darker wood trim.

For the walls: A rich deeper gold wall would help to balance out the fireplace (which appears on my monitor to have gold tones in the brick) And soft white trim around the room would help too. OR -- as I mentioned on the other discussion thread -- paint the whole thing in soft white. Do add a more rounded more traditional firescreen and brass tools and wood bucket.

For the fainting couch: A richer patterned fabric with the red in it might be the trick --although I certainly would investigate adding wood glue etc. to the screws/backing so that it could be used in more places. Take some clear pictures of the back (and the problem areas) and take them over to the upholsterer -- he may know someone or someway that would help! :)

Here's a link to a fabric that might work with the colors.

Flooring: Yes -- go with the continuation of the vinyl. BUT do add a rug (even a remnant trimmed out to size) to make the more - modern floor work with your antiques.

Table: Yes -- it needs to match the darker wood on the sofa and chair ....

Arrangement: I find the two tall pieces and the lamps really overwelm the room .... perhaps switch one piece for a round table? OR maybe one of those inexpensive decorator tables BUT cover it with matching fabric from the fainting couch??

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric guru paisley chenille fabric

• ruthie_s
    16 years ago

I love your living room! Your furniture and fabrics are beautiful. On the fainting couch I would pick something very similar to what you have, but with red accents in it... I would pick something that has red and also the curtain color along with other deep and rich colors for a warm feeling.
    The window treatment looks a little short to me. Have you ever thought to add a band to the bottom of your curtains so they almost touch the floor? You could do this in the same fabric as your fainting couch, or in a smaller pattern that coordinates (very small, more textural that print). This would add a nice flair,make your window look more finished and tie things together plus make a nice backdrop for your red sofa.
    This small textural print I would be sure to use it somewhere else in the room.. as an edging on a pillow or small table cover.
    I agree the lamps would look nice if they were lower. Even just one of them sitting on a small table in the corner between the sofa and the fainting couch. For the other lamp in the other corner to make it feel more connected to the sofa I would find an interesting looking pot and have a medium sized plant that would reach higher than the arm of the sofa and place it there between the lamp and the sofa ,out a little bit. The piece of furniture the lamp is on is so pretty.
    I'm not sure about the wall color. It's hard to tell from the picture. It looks very nice to me. Maybe the border painting could stay if the colors are in the tapestry type fabric you choose for the FC. The stripe seems a little too strong maybe. What if it was glazed over to soften? Still keeping the great design but tweeking it a little?

I love the worn rug idea someone had for underneath the
    coffee table. The finish of the coffee table doesn't bother me at all .. it just needs to be grounded on a large tapestry type rug in muted colors. Put in whatever wood flooring you choose and you have a beautiful and cozy room! Have fun! You have a lot of great things to work with!

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

The different styles of Pergo floors have different warranties. The Vintage Home has a lifetime warranty. Scratches and gouges are covered. The warranty does not cover a reduction in gloss, but I have not seen this in the 3 years that we've had the product.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jenn, glad you found this thread. Thanks on the sofa and chair. :-) I agree with you on the f.c. -- it needs a more dynamic covering. William Morris would be neat, but I looked on eBay and there's nothing big enough, and most is just drapery weight. Did you see the fabric Les suggested? I think it would do the trick. What do you think?

{{gwi:1901222}}

Here are also the drapes Les recommended, which I love:

{{gwi:1901224}}

I'm absolutely drooling over those and trying to figure out if I can afford the expense! I don't see any way to mimic either on the cheap.

I think I'm going to paint out the border after all. It really does chop up a room that's already too chopped up into DR/LR, and with the fireplace on the major wall that connects the two, the huge window, and the little half wall. I love all my Victorian stuff, but I also want a somewhat clean look in there. I did blow up the JCP drapery picture (you can see full sized and blow up from the link in Les's post above) and they have grasscloth on the walls for texture. I dunno if that's a good idea for me or not? Expensive, though.

I want SO much to doll up that fireplace I can taste it. I just don't know how. I just hate how modern it is. I started a thread on it and I hope you'll take a look at it for me please?

Thanks for all your kind words! I really do love my antiques. I love looking at your pics, too.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your kind words. :-) I found that lampshade on eBay (though I have made lampshades myself). Would you believe the Victrola was a gift? A friend had it in storage because it didn't fit his decor and he saw my LR in my old house and gave it to me! I was thrilled.

I agree, I'm not in a rush to rip the f.c. up until I'm very sure what I'm doing. I would love to put it in front of the window but don't see how. Is there a way I could disguise that little half wall somehow? Like put plants on it? Or a way to reinforce the back on the f.c.?

There is not a second chair at this point. I think I'm familiar with the arrangement you're describing -- sofa on one side and chairs on the other side in front of the fireplace? Yes, that could be done once the pergo was either removed or extended from the DR and the humungus armoire is moved to downstairs. The LR is not large. I'm not sure if the f.c. could stay if I do that, and then I guess there would just be a walking path all around the outside of that arrangement, as there wouldn't be much room for anything else.

I wish my coffee table weren't so heavy... I could push everything else around by myself. But because of that I always need help to move it.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Just wanted to add two suggestions if they haven't already been mentioned..........must admit I didn't read all the posts!

You said the FC is not well supported on the back and that is why you have it against the wall. Did you talk to the upholsterer about reinforcing it? He should be able to do that and he could also pad and cover the back w/fabric to hide all the carpentry. Doing so would give you more placement options.

Re: the fireplace.........I agree that the wall to the right should be painted. I'm sure the handpainting is nice but it doesn't go well with your decor. Also, if you don't want to paint the fireplace, you should consider staining the mortar a darker color. The white is a little strong! ;)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I'm so glad everyone loves the new upholstery! You've got me pegged. I was feeling pretty shy about the red and wanting to tone it down first. I love red but you have to be brave to do it, I think. It wasn't my first choice, but when I saw that fabric at such an incredible price, I couldn't help myself. Then I started being scared. But you're right -- I have it now so I should go with it.

Yes, the f.c. is usually the one that draws everyone. It's pretty, but it's also unusual and maybe that's why everyone wants to sit on it. But... what do I do about supporting the back of it? Maybe I need to bite the bullet and put a few more supports back there and just stain them dark and say to heck with it? Yes, I can see the sofa and chair as supporting players.

I love what Les recommended and it's going to put a dent in the budget. Fortunately, red is a common color in carpets and I'm hoping I can find something off Craigslist to save money that isn't too burgundy. I'll check eBay too, thanks.

Interesting comment about the lamps. I'd like the antique Victrola to stay, but the other one could go to the basement I guess, and be replaced by a lower piece.

On the drapes, I love what Les suggested. They are so sumptious! I can sew, but I couldn't find/afford all those matched fabrics and the stripe in that design picks up the red, plus I noticed that the swags are shinier. I could never duplicate that. I want to do a thread on that in a while -- I have questions about how to do it for my big ol' window. I hate big wide windows. I bought this house primarily because it was in the right location and in the best shape of anything I'd seen. But there's a lot I don't like about its bones. Like, I still have a popcorn ceiling in there! I'd tackle it but part of it is over the staircase so it's too high and I don't have the right ladders for it. So for now it stays.

Interesting thought about the accessories versus the coffee table. But the coffee table is an easy project for me to do and won't cost much at all to change. In fact, it's the easiest project I'm facing there. If the marble weren't on it, I'd have had that one done by now.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Val, and thanks for your kind words. What do you think of the fabric Les recommended for the f.c.? I posted a pic of it above. I also posted the drapes. Do you think that would work together?

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to paint that wall out very soon, no more stripes and no more border. A picture hanging there would be nice.

The brick is painted and can be painted again.

Thanks for the interesting comments about the floors. That gives me something else to think about. I've called a carpenter to come over and give me estimates and he'll come on Saturday, so all your input is great and timely! It will help me organize my thoughts for what to say to him. Yep, CL for the rug should work.

The coffee table is going to get stained -- that one is easy and it's missing a trim piece (now facing the sofa) so I don't feel I'm harming its antique value in staining it.

I think with the right covering the f.c. can tie back in better. Everyone is right, it needs something else, not what I originally picked for it. I need to sell that covering on eBay I think. Or CL.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Perhaps curtains from a store might work?

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney curtains

• meg711
    16 years ago

Hi Oceanna,

I don't really have any good suggestions. (You know that furniture placement is not my strong point--especially since I still have no furniture.) But I wanted to chime in and tell you how beautiful your sofa and chair are. I also love the fc. You have wonderful antiques!

I know we just talked about this in the context of the recent floods, but now I can't remember where you are. It's too bad the sofa and chair are a red red because I have a rug with a dark pink red--and some blues of course.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teacats, thanks for telling me what you like there. I think the wall color does need to be changed. But at this point I think maybe it should be the last thing I decide, since so much is changing. Thanks for your comments on the fireplace; I replied to them in that thread. I'll call someone who works with antiques about shoring up the back of the f.c. tomorrow and see what they recommend. Thanks for the link to the fabric -- as I recall I need about 7 yds. It would be cool if I could do the vinyl floor as I'd save lots of $ and the upkeep is easy on it. So it's good to know a rug would solve the "modern" problem. Ooo good idea about covering the round table. I have such a table in the basement. :-)

Ruthie, thanks! Do you like what Les picked out (above) for the f.c. and drapes? Now that the sofa and chair are back I can see I need to go for it in that room and I'm drooling over the ones Les posted, though I think that's going to set me back a couple hundred. I keep arguing with myself about it. lol! Adding a band to the drapes I have and maybe a topper could come out cheaper... but I'm just not sure of the color any more. Still thinking about that. Okay, which piece of furniture and which lamp are pretty and need the plant? I'm confused. I think the border painting/stripes need to go byebye. The wall color may need to change when I'm all done.

Lynne that's good to know about the warranties, thanks.

Annz oh that's a wonderful idea about covering the back of the f.c.! I will do the upholstery on that piece myself (I did it last time too). I would never have thought of that and it could be just the ticket for hiding more bracing back there. Interesting comment about the mortar, thanks. I can fix that pretty easily.

Teacats thanks for that link. I'm quickly learning that JCP is the King of curtains! That treatment is something I could easily sew -- at least all but the shade part. However, the shade is 43" wide and my window is about 95" wide. What do I do about that? Would two shades work? Or maybe I need to sew that too? Would you do the drapes in the red? Or in a beige or ivory?

Meg thanks for your kind words. I'm near Seattle. My son flooded two days ago, poor baby. But fortunately I never have (knock on wood). That's very sweet of you about the rug. Can you sell it on CL and get yourself some more decorating money?

• jjam
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

I would keep both lamps in there; just move one to a lower table so that they are not at the same height. If you have a good upholsterer (and it looks like you do) have him/her shore up the back of the f/c. It is a great piece and such a bonus that it is comfortable. So many old couches and chairs look good but aren't fun to sit in. When you get that one fixed and have some great fabric on it, it will be the place everyone will want to sit. I can also see some red with some black on the f/c; lots of brown in there already with all the wood, some black, green and red would be nice.

I'd paint the fireplace, put a mantel over the brick, and get a great piece of art for it. If your budget can stand it, have a spotlight installed to light the art. You are going to have some fun!

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

oceanna: Yes, I do like Les's sugggestions. In addition, I'd like to see a couple of decorative pillows on the sofa--what do you think of a red/ivory toile with a Victorian scene? Red and gold/bronze are so traditional. In fact, that's what I'm doing in my living room as well. I also have a big, wide window and agonized over what to do for a long time. I do sew, but am not brave enough to do the curtains. I'd like to see something a bit simplier/classic for the drapery--perhaps a bronze silk or stripes. Something needs to be the star and something needs to take a supporting role. You are in a much better situation than me where at least you have furniture and drapes in the room so you can swap it out one by one.

• les917
    16 years ago

Oceanna, the drapery I posted is from Penney's and it is 40% off. If you just do side panels and the swagged valance, it shouldn't cost you that much. Two of the panels at $20 each, and two of the regent valances at $17.99 each is $75. You can make cheap rods from closet dowels. I think I would do the jacquard rather than the stripe, in the gold tone, which would be elegant but not too much for the space. Don't use the stripe at all.

If you want more coverage, just add inexpensive sheers underneath.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Val what do I think about red/ivory toile? I think I have some in the basement. :-) It's what I was going to do for the windows a while back, but changed my mind. I "tea dyed" it a bunch of times to get it right and it faded a bit so then I wasn't so happy with it. I really want to see what you're doing in your LR. Curtains aren't hard to sew at all, but handling 200"+ of floor length fabric is heavy and awkward.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les 40% off? Woohoo! :D I'm sure that price won't last so I need to place an order fast.

I just love the way it is in the picture. They have a swirly panel and a stripe panel on each end = $80 (full price). I liked the striped panels hung to the inside of the swirly panels because they pick up the red in the furniture and the rug-to-be. They also add to the richness and interest of the look.

They have two valances, which is $30.

Finally, they have the one shade hanging down in the center. Their shade measures 40 wide x 63 tall. I assume those pull up and down for privacy, which is great. My window measures 97 wide. So would I need to hang three shades across my window. Would that look good? Three is another $75 (again, before sale).

If I get ALL of that the total cost is $111 at the sale price if I did my math right. That's a great price for all that! (It was $187 before the sale.)
    If three shades wouldn't look good, then what should I hang in the center for when I want privacy? Sheers? Solids? And how to match this treatment in color/tone?

• les917
    16 years ago

I would use the striped panels to be pulled closed if you want privacy, and you really want them.

They could be pulled back just as they are in the pix, then pulled across when you want a covered window. Sheers would work instead of the striped panels, but won't really give you privacy unless you get them pretty full and gathered. If you like the stripe, use that.

Thinking about your fainting couch and the unstable back. I know you said you are concerned about repairing it and affecting the antique value. But, if this is a piece that you are intending to keep and use, and everyone is drawn to, isn't it more important to have it usable and solid? Perhaps there is an antique place or furniture repair place that could give you an estimate or idea of the best way to fix it. But whatever, I WOULD fix it, and then place it in front of the window, especially once you get the window dressed. I think it will be a much better layout and use of the space.

I am also wondering if you could hang panels that match the drapery panels from JCP at ceiling height on the LR side of the half wall, down to the floor. It would create more of a window feeling there, and give a more solid sense of space. Or, you could hang a couple of old windows, either real stained glass or made from Gallery Glass, in the space above the half wall. Finally, you could fill that space in with spindles or framed lattice, something like this victorian lattice, either stained to match the woodwork or painted to match the wall color.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops! I figured that window math all wrong, since the sale price was all figured in already. Okay, so I get $80/panels and $30/valances. That's still very reasonable! Excellent solution -- thanks so much, Les!

What type of rod should I use then? Look for a double? Because they'd all hang at the same height, and two would pull while two would be tied back. But one would be open most of the time so an ugly rod won't do.

I've been thinking about the f.c. too, and came to the same conclusion. It's better to get good use out of it without worrying about someone breaking it. Tomorrow I'll talk with someone who repairs antiques.

Oh, I love your idea of hanging something over the half wall! Real stained glass is out because nibble or two of lead would likely kill my parrots. But gallery glass is my solution.

I like your other thoughts for that half wall too, and will snoop CL to see what is for sale.

I've been meaning to find a salvage yard for a window I can hang in the transom above the door, so I can work the GG on it at my table, not on a ladder, then get my son to hang it for me. It's a bad place to be on a ladder. So I may as well look for more than one while I'm at it. That's low on the priority list right now but it's a superb idea.

Thanks so much! You've helped me immensely.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone who posted on this thread. All your ideas and opinions have clarified the direction I want to go. You are just wonderful! You've helped me more than you can know. I'll be saving lots of notes from this thead.

Now I've got a looong "to do" list. lol! I'll report back when I've made sufficient progress.

Gee, I wish I'd known about this place a long time ago. I'd have saved myself a lot of mistakes. This forum is super and you're all so kind. I'm so honored to cyber-know you. :D

• les917
    16 years ago

I would use your existing short rods to hang the valances, and then use a rod below that to hang all the panels. If you look at the picture of the drapes from JCP, you can see that they have the valance hung above the panels.

Can't wait to see things as they progress. Remember that we all love to see how rooms evolve. Have fun as you start working on the room!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Les. I ordered a double rod from JCP but it's out of stock so they'll ship when they get it in. Meanwhile, the drapes arrived. I ordered them in gold. Now I'm not so sure. They look awfully dark, not what I'd pictured from that itty bitty computer picture. I haven't taken them out of the bags. I'm waiting for the upholstery fabric to come for the fainting couch and see how everything goes together. I may end up taking the drapes back to JCP. If I do I'll take a look at the ivory swatch in the same drapery, but it might be too light.

• lori111
    16 years ago

I have the perfect compliment to your fainting couch.

• msrose
    16 years ago

oceanna - Those curtains are going to be gorgeous in your room and I love, love, love the fabric Les posted.

Laurie

• yborgal
    16 years ago

There's a LR in Savannah that I absolutely love!
    The antique furniture is covered in mohair fabric. The sofa and loveseat are covered in a deep red fabric, much like your own and the large corner chair is covered in deep navy blue. The pieces are tied together by a patterned Oriental rug under the coffee table. The walls are a dark cream color and the drapes are a shade lighter with darker tie-backs.
    When I saw your gorgeous sofa it reminded me of this jewel of a room.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

For some reason when I look at your furnishings something leopard comes into my mind. Whether it be a pillow, little foot rest, something in an animal print could add eclcectic interest.

I am a simple WT person. So, I am more prone to Monablairs suggestion. It's elegant and understated. The statement should be your beautiful antigues especially the wood trims on the furniture. A rich navy would be smashing on the FC. Pull colors in with pillows in the paisleys or whatever else you like.

Your reupholstered chair and sofa are fabulous.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yumm, Lori111, you certainly do! Well, Christmas is coming. Shall I send you my address? ;-) I love it. Now I want to see more pics of your house.

Laurie, the curtains turned out to be a green gold. I'm just not so sure it does anything for the couch. It's almost introducing a third color in there. I wish my camera were working, but you know about colors and the computer anyway. I saw no hint of green in the pic above of the curtains Les suggested. Now I'm staring at them in their bags and wondering if I should just take them back.

Monablair, I was wondering about introducing a third color, and seriously have thought about green (note greenish tone in curtains might then tie in), and had really thought about a dark blue as being super elegant and a bit of a surprise. I sure wish I could see a picture of the room you're talking about. Any chance you could post one?

Thanks Jerseygirl! Your description of the animal print reminds me of this picture that I've saved. Something like this would add a bit of whimsey to the room, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough. Is this what you had in mind? I think if it worked it could be fabulous, but if it missed it could be disasterous. Also not sure how to take off on that idea to make it work with the fainting couch fabric even in the same room. I just thought it was kind of cool. But not sure if it would be cool in my room -- with the sofa maybe -- but not sure about with the f.c. -- a very brave move, to say the least. These wouldn't be ready-made. I'd have to sew something like this.

{{gwi:1901228}}

{{gwi:1901230}}

{{gwi:1901232}}

Also Les, you were talking about my moving the f.c to in front of the windows. That gives me two patterns right together there -- one in the f.c. -- although a tiny allover print (I think, but need to see the fabric when it gets here) -- and the print in the curtains, both the stripe and the floral. A bit much, do you think?

Another option would be to go with solid deep blue curtains and go red/blue on the rug. Would that be pretty?

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Oh, Oceana, I'm coming in late on this thread.... but I must say that your red, luscious sofa and chair are just gorgeous!! They're perfect!!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Tex! You have such elegant taste... what would you do for curtains, flooring, rug?

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

oceanna and les, love that paisley fabric!

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I wasn't thinking of window treament as much as throw pillows with exagerrated (did I spell that correctly?) trim, ottoman, foot stool, or something like that. I think I would like a leopard print instead of Zebra. You just have the find the proper leopard print colors.

Try not to be afraid of whimsical especially in a more heavy room. It kind of lightens thinks up.

I want to make sure I understand the FC situation. Are you keeping it in the LR?

• holly_bc
    16 years ago

I'm waaay late to this party AND my taste is not what one would call *mainstream*. With that proviso and the understanding that what follows is of course MHO and is not at all meant to offend anyone, I:

Think the chair and sofa in the Tomato are FABULOUS. I am pleased the upholstery guy darkened the wood as it needs the depth of color to carry that scrumptious color.

Think the FC is a totally unique neat piece of furniture which needs to be fixed 'proper like'. I cannot see this detracting from its value but in fact adding to it providing it's done correctly and not some hatchet job.

Think also the FC is SO unique it needs a bold *here I am* fabric, not some whimpy paisley kinda fabric. The fabric Sujafr posted would be super. If your concern is to it's hardiness if you will, then try to find something tougher but very similar. That wonderful Tomato insists on something equally bold and beautiful to compete with it.

Think I'd like to see your dining room as it appears from your floor plan drawing the living is open to that room - yes? The FP remarks you have laminate in the DR. Whatever the flooring material in the DR - you need to continue same material into the LR and all the way down the hall. Alternatively, you rip up the DR flooring and replace the whole 9 yards. You'll need to find a area rug/carpet that will co-ordinate the whole (both LR + DR) and if you've a window in the DR, then you'll need the same or very similar WT's on both windows. If they are open to each other as it appears they are, they can't be treated as separate entities without totally chopping up your spaces.

Think the stripes definitely need to go with all painted a background color. What that might be should be a decision delayed until after the FC has a chosen fabric.

Think the FP also needs to be redone - something very background not *here I am* so it's a good thing that's easy peasy for ya. :-)) Again not done/chosen until after the main furniture pieces are completed. If you were fortunate enuf to find a neat mirror piece as ?? came up with, then likely it should be the star and the FP itself should be very similar to or the same as the wall color - whatever that ends up being.

WT's should be pretty much last on the list although they will need to co-ord with your wall color. Being as I am, I wouldn't even consider that item until all the other pieces were pretty clear to me AND the FC was recovered and back home.

Think coffee table definitely needs the deeper stain but you seem quite willing to do so and certainly have the talent so really that is a non-issue.

Think I'd like to see the (fully repaired) wonderful FC in front of the window also, particularly once it has a dramatic punchy fabric on it. It really is a *star piece* and should be the first thing one sees when entering the room.

Think I'd like to see the wood on the half wall stained darker with Tomato Sofa against that wall.

Well I've said enuf -- likely you're thinking *more than*. BG's

I absolutely LUV LUV that Tomato fabric! On our gloomy (and presently extremely windy here) PNW days, that color is going to be soooo warm and friendly/cozy.

I will suggest that you don't have a Victorian home so use this yummy unique furniture as a bold statement rather than an attempt at truly period stuff. I don't often weigh in on threads because my taste is surely not everyone's so pay me no mind at all if it doesn't suit you. :-))

Happy Xmas
    Holly