SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

DR drapes & Before/After of LR (lots of pics)

lisa_a
13 years ago

Thanks to those who answered my request for help regarding hanging drapery rods about a week ago (or more?). I did get the DR drapes hung last weekend as planned but it took me a few extra days to take photos and to dig up "before" photos.

I couldn't just hang the drapes, though. I also shuffled the furniture arrangement in both DR and LR with the help of a friend, who has such a great talent for breathing new life into a room without buying a single item. I love (love!) the way these two rooms look now and how well my cherished family heirloom pieces are displayed.

The new arrangement also makes the LR's odd shape (the stairs cut one corner off at an angle) seem less obvious. My friend also changed the arrangement on top of the piano so that the multiple horizontal and vertical lines from the open staircase aren't so jarring (no photo yet, still need to recover the piano bench). And somehow the new arrangement grounds the room, a hard thing to do when a room has a vaulted ceiling that opens to a 2-story entry and the upstairs landing. Hubby likes this openness but I much prefer cozier spaces.

But enough teasing, you want pictures so here they are.

Before:

('Scuse the mess, I'm in the middle of reorganizing years and years of photos).

And after!

Look how gorgeous these Pottery Barn drapes look against my deep red and soft golden yellow walls! We moved my grandma's china hutch from the far corner into the LR. I love this piece but it made the DR too crowded during holiday dinners.

I ended up hanging the brackets 9-1/2" away from the window (7" from molding) to make the windows look larger and to allow more light into the room.

Word of caution for anyone considering buying PB drapes. The hem length wasn't consistent on any of my panels. They varied from 96" (specified length) to 96-3/4" so I need to get them all re-hemmed. A bit of a pain but it will still keep these panels below the cost of having custom drapes made.

Now on to the LR.

Before:

And one more.

And now the after!

We moved my grandma's china hutch in and removed one of the many rocking chairs I've inherited (it has a new home in the upstairs landing) but everything else remained. I still can't believe it's the same room and all that was needed was a little rearranging.

I still have some projects for both rooms:

Paint the DR ceiling a very pale yellow gold and install box beams and crown molding.

Re-hang the LR drapes after I add a border of the PB drapery material along the top on each silk panel.

Replace trim around all windows with heftier molding and repaint all trim (that will be quite the project!). The space between the LR windows will be covered with molding painted white more closely matching the front door treatment just out of sight to the right in the 2nd after photo.

Recover piano bench (have the high density foam and fabric, just need the time).

And (I won't say how long this has been on my to-do list) finish painting the LR walls. If you look closely around the windows, you will see that the side wall (where all the paintings are) is a different blue (BM Buxton Blue) than the window wall (Miller Paints but I can no longer recall the color).

Sometime down the road (after the kitchen remodel), we'll replace the carpeting. It's much too greige, the rooms need warmer tones. And if we can swing it, I'd love to add a large patterned area rug to the DR.

Comments (29)