SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

DR drapes & Before/After of LR (lots of pics)

lisa_a
13 years ago

Thanks to those who answered my request for help regarding hanging drapery rods about a week ago (or more?). I did get the DR drapes hung last weekend as planned but it took me a few extra days to take photos and to dig up "before" photos.

I couldn't just hang the drapes, though. I also shuffled the furniture arrangement in both DR and LR with the help of a friend, who has such a great talent for breathing new life into a room without buying a single item. I love (love!) the way these two rooms look now and how well my cherished family heirloom pieces are displayed.

The new arrangement also makes the LR's odd shape (the stairs cut one corner off at an angle) seem less obvious. My friend also changed the arrangement on top of the piano so that the multiple horizontal and vertical lines from the open staircase aren't so jarring (no photo yet, still need to recover the piano bench). And somehow the new arrangement grounds the room, a hard thing to do when a room has a vaulted ceiling that opens to a 2-story entry and the upstairs landing. Hubby likes this openness but I much prefer cozier spaces.

But enough teasing, you want pictures so here they are.

Before:

('Scuse the mess, I'm in the middle of reorganizing years and years of photos).

And after!

Look how gorgeous these Pottery Barn drapes look against my deep red and soft golden yellow walls! We moved my grandma's china hutch from the far corner into the LR. I love this piece but it made the DR too crowded during holiday dinners.

I ended up hanging the brackets 9-1/2" away from the window (7" from molding) to make the windows look larger and to allow more light into the room.

Word of caution for anyone considering buying PB drapes. The hem length wasn't consistent on any of my panels. They varied from 96" (specified length) to 96-3/4" so I need to get them all re-hemmed. A bit of a pain but it will still keep these panels below the cost of having custom drapes made.

Now on to the LR.

Before:

And one more.

And now the after!

We moved my grandma's china hutch in and removed one of the many rocking chairs I've inherited (it has a new home in the upstairs landing) but everything else remained. I still can't believe it's the same room and all that was needed was a little rearranging.

I still have some projects for both rooms:

Paint the DR ceiling a very pale yellow gold and install box beams and crown molding.

Re-hang the LR drapes after I add a border of the PB drapery material along the top on each silk panel.

Replace trim around all windows with heftier molding and repaint all trim (that will be quite the project!). The space between the LR windows will be covered with molding painted white more closely matching the front door treatment just out of sight to the right in the 2nd after photo.

Recover piano bench (have the high density foam and fabric, just need the time).

And (I won't say how long this has been on my to-do list) finish painting the LR walls. If you look closely around the windows, you will see that the side wall (where all the paintings are) is a different blue (BM Buxton Blue) than the window wall (Miller Paints but I can no longer recall the color).

Sometime down the road (after the kitchen remodel), we'll replace the carpeting. It's much too greige, the rooms need warmer tones. And if we can swing it, I'd love to add a large patterned area rug to the DR.

Comments (29)

• gobruno
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lovely! Can't wait to see it all "done"! I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a long project list! :)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Good job!

Love the blue on your walls. What color is that?

• Related Discussions

One year and counting (lots of before and after pics)

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you everyone! Yes, we are expert painters now, well, I should say I am at least ;) And thanks for the compliments on the turquoise door! Everyone thought I was crazy for doing it (I'm pretty sure my husband still thinks I have a few screws loose), but I absolutely love it! (The paint is Behr's "Surfer" in high gloss in case anyone was wondering).
    ...See More

needing lots of direction in new home, LR pics

Q

Comments (16)
    Parma, I am very sorry to head about your father. It's great that you want to take your time with the house and not be stressed by it as well as everything else on your plate. Maybe creating your new interiors can become your source of relaxation. I would put a substantial (3") wood rod with beautiful finials across the top of the lower pair of windows, and hang a rod at the same height above the lower single window. A lovely fabric, hung on rings from the rods, would hang in panels on either side of the pair (no panel in between) and on either side of the single window. To meet across the double windows the curtains will be full, which will also make them look especially nice when stacked back at the sides of the windows. You can get brass rods that hook onto the first ring on either side to pull them instead of handling the fabric itself. This is a nice touch that looks good and is very practical. On the upper windows I would not use shutters or anything else except 3M film to cut down on the ultraviolet rays coming into the house. This will help your energy bills, and the newer materials do not darken or color the light noticeably. If you have a southern or western exposure on either wall, I would do the same thing to the lower windows in addition to the window treatments.
    ...See More

My 'botanical print' LR, before and after pics

Q

Comments (14)
    I love the transformation, and I appreciate the fact you kept many elements and updated what you were tired of. The mix of painted and wood, dark and light is so inviting and warm. I love your room.
    ...See More

My DR chairs are done! Before & after pictures of the room

Q

Comments (18)
    I have considered using a rug, but with the holidays quickly approaching, I will wait until January to think about it. I'm not sure how to coordinate with the rug in the LR since the whole area is an L-shaped LR/DR. I also like the ease of clean-up and the ease of moving the chairs with the felt pads with the bare wood floor.
    ...See More
  • lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

Depends on which blue you're asking about, stinky-gardener (there must be a story behind your screen name). ;-)

The blue on the walls with the paintings is BM Buxton Blue. If you're asking about the blue on the window wall, all I can tell you is that it's a retired color from Miller Paint (that's a PNW company). It was something patriotic, like Cadet Blue, but that doesn't help you much.

Buxton Blue was a Pottery Barn color selection a year or two ago. I chose it before they did, though. Oops, I just gave a hint at how long I've had a two-toned living room!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lisa. No wonder I like your wall color! I've always drooled over Buxton Blue on my BM paint deck! In fact, it's one of my favorite BM colors, though I've never used it myself.

It makes a gorgeous backdrop for your art. It's cheerful & warm for a blue too...not at all cold! It's so neat to see it on a wall!

Honestly, the colors looked the same to me, but now that you mention it, I see that the Buxton Blue is a tad greener & warmer than the other blue. I would go all Buxton when you have the time...it's a great color!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're welcome!

Buxton Blue is definitely a lovely, warm blue. Another blue I considered is Yarmouth Blue, one shade up on the color strip. I like color and don't have a problem with saturated color on my walls (obviously) but every now and then I think that perhaps I should have gone one shade lighter since our LR faces northwest and doesn't get much direct sunlight.

I likened my original blue to Wedgwood Blue pottery. It looked great with my old couch and draperies but it's too cool a blue with my current scheme. Just as soon as I find the time and courage to climb the extension ladder (I hate heights but I also need to paint the 2-story entry wall as well as the LR), I'll finish painting the room.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I love the new layout. It amazing how simply moving the furniture around can give a whole new feeling. I also like the Buxton BLue and agree it's a lovely backdrop to your artwork. I like your plans for the beefier moulding around the windows as it looks a tad choppy as is. Can't wait to see it when complete and the drapery rehung with the new toppers. Sounds perfect!

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Wow! You make me want to paint someting blue - and I didn't think I liked blue.

May I ask - are your dining room drapes the Alessandra from PB? I like them.

Tuesday

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My turn to say "Wow!" If I can tempt a non-blue fan into painting a room blue, well, that's saying something. Thanks!

To answer your question, yes, the drapes are the Alessandra drapes from PB. At $89 a panel, there are very reasonably priced for lined drapes. Even if it costs me $50 to hire someone to re-hem each panel, that's still cheaper than custom, especially since one of the fabrics I fell in love with was $35/yard. Let's see, I'd need a little more than 3 yards per panel, plus 3 yards of lining material, plus labor... oh, yeah, this is a good price for lined drapes. What's even better is that I now prefer this fabric over the others I considered.

• demeron
    13 years ago

Pretty drapes. Yummy blue paint.

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

very pretty! Love your Grandma's peice too!

• loribee
    13 years ago

It all looks wonderful!! :)

• enailes
    13 years ago

It looks great, nice job! I love cranberry/reds with golds, it just looks so elegant. What is your yellow wall color in the DR?

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

enailes, it's Pratt & Lambert Caramel Tint (10-6, old #2087) at 50% strength. The red walls gave the full strength color a pumpkin-y glow, which was not what I was going for.

I just love that my DR is painted Burnt Peanut and Caramel. I didn't pick them by their names but aren't they perfect for a room one eats in? ;-)

• enailes
    13 years ago

Thank you Lisa!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

lisa, when did you order and receive your Alessandra drapes from Pottery Barn, the gold ones? OMG, I ordered a 96" panel of the very same drape back in August (to be sure it was the right color,ect for the room)to hang on a door. Received it in a couple weeks. Loved it.

So I saved up and ordered a pair of 108" panels September 9th. The lady told me they would be on back order until January 2011! I whined and expressed my disappointment so she checked again and then told me that the date had suddenly changed to October 30th. Great - I went ahead and ordered. Decided two 96" panels for the door would look better, so ordered another one October 1st. Now that is on back order, too.

I've called three times to check on the back orders and was told that now the 108" panels would be here Oct. 5th. instead of January - Oct.5th came and went. Called again, lady said, "Oh those are on back order until December". UGH. She said I could cancel, but I love the drape alot and it took a long time to find something I liked that much. All I can say is it must be extremely popular, and I'm happy to see what they look like hung in a room. Thanks for letting me hijack your thread.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a headache, schoolhouse, sorry you're dealing with it.

I picked up my drapes at our local Pottery Barn store (we have two in my area) about ... 3 weeks ago? I think that's about right. I didn't have any problem getting stock although I was told that they didn't come longer than 96". It was only when I looked them up on line that I saw they were also available in 108" panels. Wish they came in 124" because I'd love to add a ribbon of the fabric along the edge of my PB silk drapes for the LR. I'm adding a band of it across the top instead. That will also look good so I should shop whining. ;-)

It also took me a long time to find something I liked and looked good with my DR colors and coordinated with what I have in the LR. I'd find so many possibilities that were close but no cigar. It was very frustrating. It is good to know they are popular but I hope you get your panels soon!

No worries about hijacking. I've been know to do it myself a time or two (or three or four). ;-)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Three weeks ago? Darn. Well, I was hoping PB would locate a pair of 108" in one of their stores and send them to me; I've had other places do this for me, but they didn't offer. Like you, I've looked at drapes for a long time (a year)before deciding on them.

It never even occurred to me to go directly to a PB store until today, the nearest one is an hour and 45min. away. But, good to know that the 108" probably isn't available in the store anyway. If they were, I was going to cancel my online order and buy directly. Thanks for telling me that. I already made tentative plans with a friend to go, wanted to possibly check out a duvet cover. Too bad they didn't make a duvet cover to match the gold Alessandra drapes, they offer it in the red and blue only. Strange.

Maybe I should phone the store and ask which drapes they have in stock, wouldn't hurt. Thanks a bunch.

• farmhousegirl
    13 years ago

They look awesome!

Where did you get your blue sofa? I love it!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're welcome, schoolhouse. I could have been given incorrect information so you should definitely call the store to see what they carry. Good luck.

Thanks, farmhousegirl! The sofa is the Kentwood from Ethan Allen. I admired it for years before we were finally able to purchase one to replace our old LR couch. It's really comfortable, too, probably our most comfortable couch, although DS1 will argue with me and say that the couch I bought 25 years ago (yes, really, 25 years ago, needs a new cover but it's still in one piece and no springs have sprung) is the most comfortable couch in our house. He's told me that when he moves out, that couch is going with him. Dream on, boy, dream on. ;-)

Sorry to say but Ethan Allen no longer carries the Kentwood line (we bought our couch 5 years ago). They used to carry a couch that was similar in style and IIRC, it was a relatively new model when we bought ours so maybe they still carry that one.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I made a phone call to the store. They don't have the 96" drape in the store but can order it for me and have it to me in two weeks or less. I questioned her a couple of times and she assured me they can get it because they have "1,000 panels at their distribution center". Ok, so I ordered from them and canceled my online order.

All this because of your post. I'm a happy camper!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yippee! I'm doing my Snoopy happy dance for you! Don't forget to post photos once they are up.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Will only be able to post pics of the pair on the door,hopefully in a couple weeks; but the window panels are on back order now until January 28th. :(

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Lisa, they look gorgeous with the red! Funny, because I have them too in my breakfast room and I saw my thread about them pop up this morning. Mine are paired with green walls. I bought them directly from the PB store also. Mine are 96". Still looking for a fabric for my chandelier shades to pair them with!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kmcg85, I saw that thread and thought, gee, those look familiar. ;-) Yours look gorgeous, too! Nice to see the drapes paired with another wall color. Love the saloon sign.

I was tempted by the matching shades, too, but I've decided that adding a band of the fabric (I'm taking apart a panel to do this) to the top of the silk Dupioni drapes I bought ages ago from PB for the LR will be enough. Well, maybe. I also need to have a half-moon valance made for the window above our entry. I have an extra silk panel I intend to use for that area and I might add a band of the print along the bottom edge. Or maybe 3 vertical bands. Or maybe ... I'm still mulling possibilities but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding a bit of this fabric to the entry valance.

Are you crafty? What if you added a band of the fabric at the bottom of the shades you already own? They sell 24" pillows in this fabric so you wouldn't need to buy a whole panel for this small job. Or maybe add a band of trim that is the same color as the background of the drapes? Perhaps crazy ideas but what the heck. Sometimes, great ideas sprout from crazy ideas.

schoolhouse, the holidays' craziness will make the time fly by. Before you know it, your panels will be here.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

kmcg85, my walls are a green shade called "Smoky Olive". I love it, I knew I wanted gold drapes but as I stated before waited forever until I found "the ones".

lisa, I know I'll get them eventually; but the thing is, I only hang drapes during the cold months. In summer, I strip windows down to sheers only. So it appears I'll only have several months to enjoy my Alessandras. But at least I'll have the 96" panels over the door to help with drafts.

I envy your sewing abilities!

• decordummy_gw
    13 years ago

I really love your DR drapes - beautiful room.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, decordummy. (goodness, I feel like I just insulted you even though it is your screen name ;-)

schoolhouse, I can sew but I won't be doing this sewing. I just don't have the time. I've had fabric for my MBR drapes under my bed for (mumble, mumble) years now and I've finally owned up to the fact that if I wait for me to find a sizable chunk of time to sew them, it will never happen. I'm in the process of finding a workroom to do the work for all the sewing projects that have piled up over time. Hiring it out will cost more than if I do the work myself but it will get done in a more timely manner and it will make it so much easier to vacuum under my bed! LOL

• decordummy_gw
    13 years ago

You didn't insult me at all, & I am a dummy at decor (among other things). But just because I can't seem to achieve it, doesn't mean I can't recognize it.

I also like the blue (unfortunately I don't think it would go with my furnishings). I like your art too.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I know what you mean! I can recognize a great idea for an art or craft project, I might even be able to copy the simpler ideas but I can't seem to come up with one on my own, at least not very often. My screen name could easily be craftimpaired. ;-)