SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

Can anyone help my long and ugly LR/DR

Melissa Kroger
8 years ago

I'm hoping that I can get some help with my my long and ugly living/dining room, which has always looked and felt awkward and is the first thing you see upon entering the house. We moved into this fairly nondescript So Cal suburban house 18 years ago, and did some remodeling 12 years ago that included adding the columns and wainscoting in an attempt to create some division between the two rooms. I knew right away that the columns were hideous, so we plan to remove the fluting and do whatever else we need to do to improve them. We love our home, especially our backyard, but need the inside to be fresh, simple and cohesive. I hate the gold/burgundy color scheme, and almost everything can be replaced with a few exceptions. The glass and iron coffee table stays, as does the new custom dining room table. The piano also remains, but can be refinished or painted. The painting over the sofa stays, as well as the one on the stairs. All other artwork can be rearranged or moved out of these rooms all together. The junk in the the corners of the DR will be gone by the end of the weekend. I already got rid of the DR chairs and LR lamps. I despise the light fixture over the DR table and can't wait to see it gone! I should mention that we are redoing the kitchen/ FR in white (cabinets and quartzite) and gray (backsplash and quartzite) and black (soapstone). I'm hoping to bring the gray into the LR/DR space to bring everything together. I am somehow hoping to accomplish a transitional home with contemporary elements, if that's even a real thing. Floors are distressed cherry and will be refinished. What do you suggest? Any/all advice will be greatly welcomed and appreciated!

LR:

Living/dining room · More Info

From the front door:

From the dining room towards front door:

Painting behind sofa:

Another:

Chairs (RH) I am considering, maybe black legs?

Possible light fixture:

Comments (31)