SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_gw

Help! I've made terrible mistakes with LR (pics)

clueless
11 years ago

I own 4 pieces of furniture, and still have to buy a rug, lamps, tables, curtains, and whatever other stuff a living room needs. We have gotten rid of everything else -- except I kept one green end table to paint a different color once I have a plan.

The problem is that I am an idiot, and I don't know how to explain why, so I won't. I've wondered whether I am demented, actually. Maybe my brain doesn't work when it comes to decorating, or maybe I'm just too darned old and the brain is failing (I'll be 56 tomorrow). We already know I have no decorating talent at all, period, end of story.

My plan was to buy furniture that will last the rest of our lives, or at least the best quality we can afford.

I wanted to hire an interior decorator, but my friend who is one (who lives 600 miles away) wanted to know what my budget was - was it $20,000 or more? That scared me off. I thought, OMG, these decorators are going to laugh at me. My budget was $7,000 and has now gone up to $10,000 max for everything. I've already spent $6,655 on the sofa, chair, ottoman, loveseat, nesting table, sea grass rug and pad, a floor lamp we'll discuss later, and delivery charges.

First, I bought a sand-colored Bradington-Young Yorba sofa. I wanted one by Hancock and Moore, but when the time came to place the order, I didn't have the money.

It was hard to find a sofa that would fit through my 27" front door (30" with the doors off). I didn't want dark brown leather, I wanted green (not the dark greens available). But I was stuck with what B-Y had to offer, and for some reason my mindset was that I had to have a B-Y sofa. It's neutral and it's a nice sofa and we like it, so I guess it is no big deal. My daughter says it is neutral, neither cool or warm in tone.

This is it:

{{gwi:1800241}}

I should have bought 2 sofas, but my mind was set on buying my husband a chair he could get out of. The H&M chair I wanted cost $1000 more than the Jessica Charles chair and ottoman I bought. (It turns out that my husband can get out of the new sofa just fine, so I should have bought 2 sofas.)

{{gwi:1800242}}

{{gwi:1800243}}

{{gwi:1800244}}

Then, I should have bought 2 chairs, but I needed seating for all six of us, so I bought a loveseat from Jessica Charles, too (they call it an over-sized chair). I didn't like their loveseats, and this was the best one. It is the same height as the sofa.

Why didn't I buy the Yorba sectional? I don't like sectionals. Why didn't I buy the Yorba loveseat? I thought there would be too much leather in the room. I was wrong, oh so very wrong.

The camera lens froze so I couldn't get a better picture of the loveseat. That little picture in the middle is from the JC website.

{{gwi:1800245}}

{{gwi:1662255}}

{{gwi:1800246}}

I should have ordered the loveseat in the same fabric as the chair, but I didn't want to be too matchy. At the same time, I hated JC and H&M fabrics. This would normally be a clue to buy these pieces elsewhere, but instead my Mom and I picked out neutral fabrics that matched the couch, but were different.

Then I bought the PB Tanner nesting tables, which are not in stock yet (so I can still cancel this).

{{gwi:1800247}}

Then I called the dealer a few days after I placed the both orders (BY and JC) to change the leather and the fabrics. It was too late -- in all 3 cases, the covers had already been cut.

So for about 4 -6 weeks, I agonized over my poor choices. I don't have the money to waste and I am just stupid when it comes to decorating.

So now what do I do? There is a problem with the loveseat -- its height is 5" shorter than it should be, which means that hopefully JC will do something about that. The entire back and the back cushions will have to be recovered if they fix the existing piece. Should I ask them to put on the same fabric as I have on the chair?

What about the chair? Is it warm, while the couch is cool in color? Did I screw that up, too? Is it traditional, while the sofa and loveseat are transitional or contemporary?

What about a rug style? I bought a sea grass rug from PB, but everyone hates the way it feels when they walk on it without shoes on. I am going to move it to the dining room because the rug in there cost $150 a few years ago and is butt ugly and looks like a cheap rug.

So, with the chair being strange due to the fabric, mostly, I don't know what kind of rugs to look at. Contemporary? Geometric? Transitional? Oriental? I'm not talking big bucks here -- $1000 for a 9 x 12, max. All wool. Pile height 1/2" or a little more. Something comfortable to walk on that adds color to the room (hopefully blue, green and sand or cream).

My aim is to have a comfortable and welcoming living room. I was stuck on a beachy or pastel color scheme (white, blue, green), but I've already totally screwed that up.

Now I'm going to paint the walls and paneling a neutral green. I plan to buy drapes, pillows, lamps, more end tables (we read a lot), and etc.

I am thinking that in spring and summer, the accessories can be blue and green, and in fall and winter they can be fall colors. There is no color in the room anywhere right now -- the walls and paneling haven't been painted yet. The floor is red -- Brazilian cherry. I don't like red, and if it appears in anything in my LR (except at Christmas) it will be in small doses.

So please. Tell me how to unscrew this. I figured I'd better start saving now to get the chair recovered or to have slipcovers made, but with all 4 kids in college next year, I'll be lucky if I can afford to do that in a year. Right now is my problem. The upholstered furniture doesn't go together and the Tanner nesting tables probably should be returned because they won't look good next to the chair, which is what I bought them for.

Thank you very much for your help! I already know how stupid I am and I just hope you all can figure out what to do with this mess I created.

Comments (66)

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They are the Antoinette rug at overstock and are big enough (9 x 13) for my 13 x 20 room. Although I was hoping to find a rug that had a matching runner so I could cover more of the floor.

{{gwi:1800258}}

{{gwi:1800259}}

I hardly ever see a rug I like unless it costs more than $4,000 and/or it was custom made. Even these aren't perfect. I don't mind a tiny bit of red in a rug, and one of these has a red background. I'm not fond of brown either, but it would go with the woodwork, and look warm in the upcoming cold winter months.

I will take a photo of the living room with all the furniture together. Something about all of it together bothers me -- which is why I think I made a mistake. It will be a few hours before I can do that, though.

• daisyinga
    11 years ago

I like the choices you have made, too. They are nice and neutral and can work with anything, so I think you can make a lovely space once you have the paint, artwork and accessories.

I sympathize very much with how you feel. I am clueless about decorating, on a tight budget, and don't have the money or energy to fix my mistakes. If I am going to spend money, time and effort on decorating, then I want the room to be beautiful when I'm done, and I just can never accomplish that on my own.

So I just want to make sure you know that there are decorators who will work with small budgets. I have had decorators help me before, and the right decorator can work wonders. Here it costs about $120/hour, and it never takes us more than an hour. The ones I use will bring paint and fabric samples, will walk around my house and choose paint colors, give suggestions for fabric, etc. They don't shop with me, but instead tell me where to shop and what to buy, or give me a general idea of what to buy. They will even suggest artwork or accessories from Target or places like that, and fabric from JoAnn's. Their ideas are very, very affordable. The decorators I have used in the past have saved me so much money - I can waste $120 easily just by choosing the wrong paint color. I'd much rather just give them the $120 and get the right shade of paint the first time.

Here's what I do to help keep costs down. I cut out pictures from magazines of rooms I like. I don't know how to make my rooms look that way on my budget and with my space, but the decorators can ask me a few questions and figure out what to do. Also, I go ahead and fabric shop and get a bunch of samples. Sometimes they'll tell me they like some of the ones I have, and sometimes they'll tell me about or show me another fabric they like better. They almost always give me several choices in paint color, fabrics, etc.

The key to finding a decorator that suits me is word of mouth, and looking at their portfolio. If they are a one-trick pony and can only do one look, then it has to be a look I like. The best decorators I've used can do any look, and they make it look to my taste, not theirs. You can usually tell from their portfolios if they can decorate to suit a variety of tastes.

I have never had a $7000 to work with, that would be a fortune for me. My sofa was bought new, but the rest of my furniture is hand-me-downs and early attic. So if decorators will come in and work with me, they'll work with anybody. You'd be surprised how warm, friendly and easy to work with they can be. My favorite decorator says she loves to work with people on tight budgets, that it's a challenge. She turned a friend's outdated harvest gold bathroom into a gorgeous room, with just paint, shower curtain, and accessories. She is a genius.

If you want to make the choices by yourself, you can always take pictures to the paint store. Many paint stores have decorators on staff that will help you. Also, some of the fabric stores around here have decorators on staff.

I don't want to discourage you from decorating yourself, without a decorator. I do that sometimes, and it turns out looking okay. My home always looks better and comes out cheaper if I have a decorator help me, but your situation may be different.

Whether you choose to decide yourself or get help, good luck! I love your furniture, and you have so many wonderful options with those colors.

• Related Discussions

I've done a terrible thing

Q

Comments (19)
    Evenie, Clematis viticella is the best clematis hybrid for heat and humidity. It is wiltproof. This is my favorite, Venosa Violacea (I have two). There are more pics on my blog. I think I have about 15 clematis vines, most of them doing very well though young. Clematis texensis is the other foolproof hybrid for our climate. Each of these hybrids have many varieties. Check out Brushwood Nursery's website. Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation..
    ...See More

I've narrowed down my backsplash. Purdy please help. Lots o pics

Q

Comments (39)
    Just in case anyone checks back I think I found what I love the most. A really nice girl at United Tile helped me out so much. I almost gave up going there because I never got much help. Anyhow, she let me take home sample boards that have been grouted. I can't believe how much this has helped my decision. My mom and dad came over, bless them as they came over ASAP, and right when they walked in they said "that's the one" pointing to the Walker Zanger polished calacatta. They said it just does so much for the kitchen and I totally agree. The 4x12 samples I have are honed which I thought I liked but much prefer the polished as it adds some warmth. I almost threw out the idea of marble. Thank goodness I had a free day to drive to this store! And the girl said if I know a contractor I'll get contractor's price-my brother is a contractor! Yeh! In these picks you will see beveled subway (my 2nd choice), thassos marble (a little too plain), glass subway (way to contemporary now that I see it grouted and too much shine), and the calacatta is the one with the most veining. I sure hope this helps anyone else out there with soapstone unsure of what to do. beveled subway (left) calacatta (next to beveled) glass far right (too glossy and more blue in person-very cold) thassos to the left
    ...See More

Have I made a terrible mistake?!

Q

Comments (66)
    Hello, I confess that I haven't read the entire thread, so please forgive me if what I have to add has already been discussed, done and dusted! I love that yellow. I repainted one bedroom with a very subtle yellow, but while in the process, while the old color (apple blossom pink, a nearly white pink) was still showing, I thought the yellow was too strong! but, when it was all finished, it was perfect. You see, it was the contrast with the old paint that through off my perception. Now, I love that gray, and I love the yellow, but to my eye they don't work together. The gray brings out some pink tones in the yellow, and somehow they aren't on the same wavelength either (I don't know what the word for that would be). That makes the cupboards stand out too much (I hope that makes sense). I am sure that you can find another gray that will work better. Once you do, I think that you will be happy with all the cabinets being yellow. Someone mentioned Home Depot. I think that was the store that had a machine that would analyze your color and suggest shades that harmonised -- you picked the color family that you were interested in. Of course, then you could use that to help select a shade in the brand you preferred. It helped me find colors that worked with a difficult existing wallpaper -- and that helped to de-emphasize the disliked background color of the paper. Hope this was helpful. It will all be good when you are done, I am sure!
    ...See More

I think I made a mistake! Remodel w/ pics.

Q

Comments (27)
    [Valzone5, the Magnas are a thing I started posting at the beginning of the year over on an online forum associated with a popular TV network as a way of bringing back for one last look some of the excellent rooms that members had posted on that forum over the last year, but which in most cases hade already been zapped from the forum archives. Basically, instead of just saying 'What a pretty room' I analyzed & explained why each room was successful, because most of the time, the decorating principles could be applied just as well to rooms of an entirely diffrent character as they did to rooms in the same general style. I began the Magnas on New Years Eve, 2002 and I've been doing it the same night ever since--except for the years that I don't get my act together in time & it's late. Of course, the Magnas meet the same fate as all the other posts over there, but the wonderful & talented poster Bella has given them a second (and permanent) home over at PecanPlaceVictorian.com, the site she created to showcase the great old house in Tennessee that she & her equally talented husband are restoring. Hats off to Bella! Anyway, CER's place got a Magna in (I think) 2OO4. She's been around along time, too, and she has a real gift for taking castoffs & yard sale finds and combining them into rooms of wonderful warmth. Since then, she's moved to another place and naturally, her decorating has adapted to a new set of circumstances, but it's still wonderful. Unfortunately, though, I don't have any links to any more of her pictures, but if you go over there to that other forum--not Bella's place, the BIG forum--and do a search for posts by CER, I'm sure more will pop up, some of them with additional photos of her cozy home. It's worth the time to find them. M.] Here is a link that might be useful: 2OO7 Magnas at PecanPlaceVictorian.com
    ...See More
  • deegw
    11 years ago

I remember your post from before. You did lots of decluttering, which is looks great. But it seems like you ignored a lot of the other advice. It's a bit disingenuous to come back here dramatically complaining when you didn't follow the group's advice in the first place

What's done is done. I do want to point out that your Mom's space, which looks great, does not use a lot of strong pattern. Her bold pattern rug that you like so much seems to be an accent and not a major part of the decor.

I would stay with a neutral rug - there are some synthetic sisals that feel softer than others. I got an inexpensive Allen Roth rug at Lowes, which looks scratchy but feels surprisingly good.

Go back and look at the previous advice about painting, window panels, rugs, etc. You got great advice.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Clueless you made me laugh when you said "like living in a blood vessel" and your pooch is GORGEOUS!! Now back to the room, the rugs are too busy and dark for the room if you want to lighten it up. Where you can find spaces to use light items you should. The walls should be a nice light shade to offset the darkness. Your drapes definitely should be light with a little texture. Then you'll see the room start to glow. I'm going to look for a rug for you and come back. I understand you stressing over spending $ and not being sure, it's pretty normal, we all get the shakes about it but you're doing fine. You're not clueless or terrible at decorating. You've made some fine sensible choices. Good work!!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I went to Overstock and found this one below but you can go and look at all of them. Shipping is only 3.00

Here is a link that might be useful: 9 x 12 yummy rug

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Your life sounds pretty overwhelming just now, and I think the fact that you are willing to admit it, and ask for a little advice and reassurance, is a way of turning your face to the light.

I think yayagal is exactly right about choosing light things - and I think a very pale almost shimmering creamy butter color on your walls, and a really light luminous pale sky blue on your ceilings, will cheer you up considerably.

You grew four teenagers, and I bet they know you are trying hard under stress - can you put them to work with the paint rollers?

Think about dressing your windows with soft white cotton curtain panels, floor to ceiling, hung just beyond the windows, and palest matchstick blinds hung at the ceiling underneath, so that the window trim is all covered with something pale. Those things can be had inexpensively, and will go a long way to lightening all that wood. It's a very often repeated way of doing it, but it's subtle, and I think will help your smallish room seem classic and clean.

Then change all your lampshades to white ones, to keep the light as fresh and clear as you can.

I like the slender nesting tables. Paint all your green wooden tables semi-gloss creamy white, and put glass tops on them for sparkle and shine.

Find fresh, light-hearted pillows for your sofa and chairs - perhaps a mix of yellow and white stripes, and blue and white birds, like these?

And some prints of things that soothe you and make you feel light yourself.

None of those things are hard to do, and whatever you choose, if you really love it, it will please you every time you see it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Since your landlord gave you permission to paint the walls and paneling, I would do that. That would lighten your space a lot, I think. Maybe creamy paneling and a light color above it or tone on tone...then you may find it easier to choose your accents to add color. It will look lovely, I am sure. Deep breath in, deep breath out...

• karinl
    11 years ago

I think you are trying so hard to turn your space into your mom's space that you are missing some of the potential in the space that you have. It's maybe a variant on the Magnaverde advice, to decorate the space you have, not the one you covet.

I learned from Maria Killam that light colours can die in dark spaces and that you might do well with strong cozy colours with good lighting rather than the light tones that come alive in your mom's light-filled space. Your furniture will be fine, but I think good lighting might be the most important addition you can make.

Wash down the woodwork so it is no darker than necessary, and don't overdo the neutrals in rugs, window coverings, and paint.

I can't get a sense at all of how the furniture will look in the room, so maybe once you post that, some better advice on colour for walls and accessories will emerge. Personally, I would be thinking lilac, light blue, salmon, warm butter yellow, or what have you; anything but beige.

Karin L

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I also do not think you have made a mistake....your furniture is all neutral...just think of all the fun you will have decorating for the changing seasons and holidays....adding pillows, throws, light shades, rugs etc. I am going to use a "sage greenish gray" color for my walls because that is such a neutral color it will go with about anything you put with it.

Breath...sit down and digest these posts...you have been given some good advice.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I wouldn't go all beige - as in furniture, walls, curtains and floor. You should put in what appeals to you and your dh. You can make a lovely, peaceful LR of your own.
    just for fun I looked on lowe's site and found some nice rugs. and a lot of not so nice ones.

here's one w/color that is something I'd like. They have a number of rugs that aren't too busy but have color and pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Clueless, you are under no obligation to follow any advice you get here. You are welcome to post as many questions as you can think of.
    You are off to a fine start in your room!

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement.

My daughter can't find her camera -- it is in her mess of a room somewhere. I am going to hunt for it tomorrow. As soon as I locate it, I will post a pic of the furniture all together. There is something wrong, I just don't know what it is. It might be that the loveseat is not as high as it should be. I hope so since that is a problem that will be corrected.

It won't be arranged perfectly. Every week, I get my sons to change it around, and we live with it to see how we like it.

I'm also going to get off my duff and order the Ellen Kennon paint samples the color consultant chose.

Thank you again.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Wow I can identify with the "there is something wrong but I don't know what" feeling. I'm always like that in my own house. It's some kind of homeowner blindness.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it all together.

• caryscott
    11 years ago

I think you need a jumping off point - fabric or rug or whatever that will provide a colour palette. I think the furniture is great but in my opinion you can over play the neutrals so be cautious about adding more.

One tip: all the art in the living room is hung too high - try to keep the centre of the work at between 57"-60" from the floor. There are always exceptions but that's a good general rule.

• mzdee
    11 years ago

Beautiful pieces. Have a cup of tea and release whatever is stressing you. Paint and more furniture is not going to make your place a home. I had a Mom and I'm lucky enough to be a Mom and Grandmom. YOU are what makes it a home. No budget and no decorator can do what you can do by embracing your home and add pieces of yourself to it on a daily basis.
    BTW, if JC Penny didn't deliver the advertised dimensions, tell them to take it back.

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The loveseat came from Jessica Charles, and I'm sure they will correct the problem. If they will, shall I get it covered in a fabric to match the chair? Would that look better?

If they take it back and refund my money, then I'll probably get the loveseat that matches the sofa. Unless someone has a better plan. I can't wait to find out what JC is going to offer to do about this. At least I won't have to keep the dwarf.

I am looking at rugs now. I decided to go to Homegoods to see what they have. It's an hour away, but there is nothing around here except cows.

Caryscott, thank you for telling me how high to hang pictures.

I still can't find a camera. I know I supplied most of my teens with actual cameras, which they never use because their phones and iPods have them. We can't find them!

• beeps
    11 years ago

Just curious - but where is the loveseat missing 5"? I can't fathom how they could make that kind of a mistake when this isn't a custom piece. Yours looks to be in proportion to the pic. The cushions do extend above the back of the loveseat in the picture. If they made a mistake, no doubt they will correct it, but where are the inches missing? I can't tell from your pic.

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The inches are missing in height, beeps. It is 5" shorter than it is supposed to be - only 29" tall. They allow for a 2" variance.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Wow. That's just wild. And 5" is a lot! I would never have thought to measure - would have just thought I was imagining things. Good luck with that issue.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I think your room will be lovely when it's finished. If Penny's will take back the loveseat, I would go ahead and get the loveseat that matches the sofa. It'll be easier to add lots of color and pattern.

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The loveseat came from Jessica Charles, not Penney's. Jessica Charles is a chair company owned by Hancock & Moore. The furniture is made in North Carolina.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i also think your pieces look fine together... neutral, which is good! (maybe what you're most distressed about is the actual living room space, but you need to move on from that!)

i would 1st resolve your loveseat issue... h&m is a good company to work with and if they made a mistake or had the loveseat dimensions listed incorrectly, i'm sure they'll make it right...keep after them so they do asap. are you sure they willing to change the fabric selection?? i think having something different than the chair/ottoman fabric is best, but if you don't like what it currently is(which seems to look nice from what i can tell...) then order samples and find something which coordinates with your sofa and chair...

i would choose a rug next and then paint that will look nice with everything. since your house doesn't seem to get much light (unlike your mom's bright house) i would probably look for nice lighter shades of paint. i would paint or cover with a hearth rug the red brick on the floor in front of fireplace... once you find a rug and then paint- then you can shop for accessories/drapes.
    your mom also has lots of plants in her house- maybe you can find some low-medium light plants to decorate with...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Stop beating yourself up.

Stop buying things you can't afford.

Stop thinking this is the last time you'll buy furniture so it all has to be perfect. It isn't.

Your house isn't your mother's so don't expect it to come out the same. It won't. Instead enjoy it for the beautiful style that it is. Embrace it and make it your own.

You are your own worst enemy and a total kill joy in what can be a fun and exciting process. Whoever put those messages in your head was wrong....replace them with positive affirmations: I can create a wonderful space for me and my family....I can create a wonderful space for me and my family....

The choices you've made so far are fine and you can make them work. Stop fighting what is and go with it. You'll be amazed at how well it will work for you and the family. Especially with all the helpful advice in these threads...you'll do fine. You can do it!

I've posted a link that you might find helpful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Meditation Oasis

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I wonder if all the stress you are feeling is because perhaps you shouldn't be spending that kind of money? That the money should go elsewhere? Or not spent at all....
    I know your husbands health is a huge stress factor.

I don't know, but there does seem to be this huge concern about the money and that the furniture must last forever. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. With 6 people, upholstered furniture doesn't last that long.
    And for most people. decorating is a process, if one thing wears out or needs replacing, replace that one item, it doesn't mean gutting the room again.
    I was looking at my living room last night and last week I added a new pillow. One pillow. It really made a big difference and it made me think that it has taken me 12 YEARS to finish my living room. Of course, at all times it was technically finished, places to sit, tables, but over time, junky stuff was replaced with better, nice accessories were added, and so on. A bigger and better rug,
    better furniture, paintings
    and so it will continue. I will never gut the room and add all new stuff.
    One of the chairs need replacing, eventually I will do it.

You have made nice choices, the sofa is very pretty and I'm sure you can pull it all together nicely but it doesn't have to be overnight.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Annie, thank you for the Meditation Oasis.
    I think a lot of us here could find that very helpful.

Clueless, dear, it is too easy, when you are stressed and trying to be responsible, to think that freaking out is a sign of caring, when all you really want to do is run away to Barbados.

I'm going out on a limb here, where I shouldn't be, and suggesting that if you are like most people in your circumstances, you are probably wrestling with feeling perfectly furious with your husband for being incapacitated.

There is nothing harder in this world than struggling with those terrible, disloyal, ugly feelings - they are perfectly normal, and everyone who has had the same experience knows what I am talking about.

But they make you feel like a horrible, shameful person, and you can't admit them to anyone, so you make yourself nuts over something else, and punish yourself in some different part of your life.

A close friend of mine spent the better part of a year trying to be the strong one every minute of every day while her DH, afflicted with ALS, slowly left her. She never would have made it if she hadn't finally admitted her turmoil, and started talking with a good therapist, where she could unload those ugly feelings in a safe place.

If I'm wrong, I happily apologize, and I butt out now. In any case, we all seem to think you need to be sweeter to yourself before any of this can come right.

• vanillafields
    11 years ago

Hello :), I don't post here much but wanted to reach out. I remember your previous post and agree with others, the decluttering itself did a major difference. The pieces you ordered are lovely and neutral, and don't feel bad about your choices. I strongly advise you to paint the paneling and walls, trims and windows white and some neutral light color, the difference will be astounding! I'm speaking from experience, we moved into a rental 8 months ago and after painting the dark brown walls a light cooler greige and the chocolate fireplace white, the place looks much bigger and fresher already. I also like the white trim, windows and the door frames (no doors in the downstairs common space, almost an open concept. As for the furniture... Don't rush! I know easier said than done, especially while working on a budget. I never had a budget, most of our stuff comes from Ikea and secndhand, but treasures can be had for cheap, and while you supply the basics (seating and the coffee table), take a deep breath and a break. Them you'll see what else appeals to you and is needed without rushing into something you might regret later (again, speaking from personal experience here, I 'needed' a dining table and chairs right away so we jumped on a first set we came across.. Needles to say I hate it and will paint it??). But I can't really afford bad choices and not so well thought over decisions so I take my time now... We still need some furniture in our place, end table, credenza for toy storage, accent pieces, wall decor. For me, decorating is a long process and more fun that way!
    Your mother's house looks lovely, it would be a MCM fanatic dream come true lol. But it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be your style as well. It looks like you're attracted by more contemporary pieces, but maybe the lightness and colors of your mom's house are appealing. You can achieve similar effect using your pieces. Try painting the walls, and the wood paneling, it will transform the room. The floor can be covered. I'd stay away from beige or brown. Maybe gray? Then repeat the gray in dark charcoal gray pillows, gray curtains with some design, the fp is gray so it might work?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I am tempted to discuss your decor. Your furniture is fine, i have seen much much worse. A beachy theme is totally contrary to the existing interior (trim, fpl, etc) and so will be difficult/costly to pull off. Plus may look silly if you are in cow country. Go with what you have (oh and ive seen much worse rentals too). Dash and albert rugs will go in your space (country) yet come in colors that will cheer you up/lighten up the room.

But frankly I could care less. I am appalled at how you talk about yourself. Would you let someone talk about one of your kids as stupid, an idiot, second guessing every decision? Put down your swatches and go take a long bath. Make yourself a nice lunch on a tray with fresh flowers, and go eat it in the sun. Relax. Screw the living room.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

I think your furniture choices are just fine. Nice neutrals that you can have some fun with. I think that painting the paneling will help a lot with that room. It is tough when you are in a rental, because your choices are limited. We have lots of talent on this forum so after you post pictures, you will get some good direction.

We have two Wheatens and they keep us quite entertained.
    Diane

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

I think your home is adorable, I honestly do. You must like cohesiveness if you like your Mom's decor. You picked all light neutrals so you are well on your way to create a cohesive space. Maybe you just are not sure what your taste is. You sound like you have buyers remorse, which I get when I spend over $50.00. Just relax and be happy you have such nice furniture. Don't rush the process, you have what you need for seating and if you feel like you don't want to spend anymore for now you don't have to. Its not a good idea to pick things out when you are feeling bad. Just take your time.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

All I can say is that I've decorated my entire house for less than what you've spent on your living room furniture. I have good quality furnishings and every house I've lived in has been a happy home. Even had an Atlanta area real estate agent calling me today to help her pick paint colors and to give staging advice because she loved the way I had my last house decorated when it was on the market.

I also wonder if you're feeling overwhelmed with the amount of money you've spent on just the living room alone (my master bath gut and reno won't cost that much. Granted it's tiny and a DIY project). At this point, you just need to pick a nice color that appeals to you for the walls and then go for some colorful accessories at a cheap-o store. Why would you think that at 56 you need to be buying furniture to last you for the rest of your life? I mean, by the time you are in your 70's you might be ready for a change!! Who knows, you might live to be a happy and healthy 99 year old.

Cancel the nesting tables and hit some yard sales or antique malls and find a nice side table or two. You can pull this room together and feel like a pro in no time. You've already got a great foundation with neutral furnishings...now just add the fluff and you're done.

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, thank you for the link. I will use it.

I do feel stressed out. I didn't realize the extent until I quit smoking on June 9. I quickly realized that every time I feel stressed, I want a cigarette. That happens a lot every day. Annie's link has meditations on it, which I am going to use because fighting not smoking so often every day is stressful, too. I think that I've gotten so used to extreme stress over the last few years that now I react to everything like it is a stressful moment - an emergency, or about to become one if I don't do X, Y, and Z quickly.

In the last 23 years, I've bought 4 pieces of furniture new. This time, I wanted the upholstered furniture to be new and to last a long time because I feel like this is my only chance to buy new furniture as this purchase was a gift. The case goods I like are very expensive, and I prefer to buy old stuff I love anyway.

I have fairly poor health, and so does my husband, so I do worry that we will die sooner than the average. If I die, I want to make sure that I at least leave my family a pretty, pleasant place to live, that is well-organized. Whatever happens, I want this furniture to last and I intend to take very good care of it so it does.

Also, I bought our old furniture off Craigslist when the moving van was in our driveway. That purchase was because our upholstered goods would not fit through the doorways of this 90 year old house. When we got the puppy last year, and he ripped off the side fabric of the chair, there was cardboard underneath! That chair sold for $800 new, and it had was made of pine and cardboard, plus cheap fabric. That kept me from buying cheaper furniture, too.

I have been looking at Craigslist. It is funny how the selection differs depending on where one lives. The Boston Craigslist is full of things I would check out if I still lived there. Here, it is a whole different story - there is rarely anything I like. Plus I have to calculate how long it will take to drive to look at something (2-4 hours round trip), and figure out how to get it home and go back to get it. In the 3 years we've lived here, nothing has turned up nearby that is worth looking at.

Where we live now is different from Boston in every conceivable way. I think we are all feeling like we are on hold, sort of ... like someday we will be able to blow this pop stand. We are only here because of the much lower cost of living because the recession hit us hard and other really bad stuff kept happening. It has been a nightmare. We are all still here and healthy, and hopefully everything will work out. It could be much worse, of course I realize that.

At least all this looking at furniture and rugs has given me a very good idea of what I like. I have a list of what I don't like, so I don't accidentally buy something that has one of those characteristics.

I'm not doing a beach theme or a mid-century modern theme. In fact, I'm not sure there is a theme at this point, other than I want to think it is pretty. My three sons and my husband do not care what the room looks like, but my daughter and I do.

I ordered a 2 x 3 rug from Overstock yesterday that has the same model # as a rug I'm interested in (9.6' x 13.6'). The price is good -- below my $1000 budget by $350. The rug gets good reviews - I read all reviews of the rug in its different sizes. If the colors go well, I'll probably get it:http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Antique-Mashad-Blue-Ivory-Wool-Rug-96-x-136/3167226/product.html.

It's nice and big, has blue and green in it, the border is ivory (I don't want a gold border), and will work, I think. This decision is size and price driven to a large extent.

I like some modern style rugs which are in the ballpark of the rug I hope works out -- but I think they would look funny with the chair/ottoman, and its hard to find one at a reasonable price that big enough. I don't want to try to duct tape 2 8x10 rugs together -- or mess with returning them if the way that looks bothers me.

Thank you all for being so nice to me. I honestly have been afraid for two months to post about this because I was afraid everyone would agree that I made poor choices. I've been so afraid that I haven't even mentioned my concerns to anyone IRL. Finally, I just couldn't take living with this in my head any more. You all are really great, and because of your kindness and understanding, I'm starting to feel more optimistic.

Also, I found my daughter's camera, and after she goes to school tomorrow, I'll look in her room for the cord that connects it to the computer and charger. She doesn't mind, but prefers not to be there ... she doesn't want to hear my comments about how messy her room is.

• oceanna
    11 years ago

Wooo 50 lbs? He's a big boy! Very handsome too, and nice coloring. My little SCWT girl just got weighed in at the vet and I was astounded to see she's only 25 lbs (neither skinny nor fat). I would have guessed 30 but I haven't measured her height. The pic you took of him really captures the personality too, doesn't it? Up on hind feet and curious as can be. They don't miss a thing. I've had Wheatens for oh my maybe 30 years. Used to breed and show them.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I have to agree about the money issue. I remember your first topic about how you had all this money to spend on furniture and frankly, it blew me away because I knew of your circumstances.

I've bought a lot of furniture at low prices that are still in great condition. I've known people who spent thousands and thousands on furniture that broke down within a year.

Realistically speaking, when we do pass on, we want to make sure our children do have a home, but they need money to survive, not expensive furniture that can only be sold at a fraction of the price we paid.

Back to your room. Get busy painting and then you'll be in awe of your room! The reason you feel like something is off is because it's the same room with no change except furniture. Even the best furniture does nothing with no cheer on the walls and floors.

I would work on paint before you make any further decisions.

And your dog is YUMMY!!

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oceanna, our dog needs to lose about 5 lbs. He got weighed a month ago, and the vet agreed. Right now, he is clipped, although I tried to leave his head wheaten-like. I'm not very good with the clippers and scissors yet, but he is only 18 mos old, so we have time. There is no one around here who can groom a wheaten or who is willing to learn, and I can either pay for him to not look like a wheaten or do that to him myself.

He is a wonderful dog. He destroyed our living room furniture when he was younger, including removing fabric panels from the chair, pulling the rush seat bottom from the settee, and chewing on all legs (which were pine). He's a big chewer, so I keep him well supplied with bully sticks and cow ears.

Which reminds me, that's why I want to get tables with metal legs.

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oakleyok, I spent cash money, and it is already spent. I didn't leave bills hanging out in the wind -- I paid them months in advance, and paid outstanding bills, too, before I touched a dime.

The furniture cost me, delivered, 1/3 less than it would have if I'd bought it locally. I didn't want to mess up and buy some that is expensive that would fall apart in a few years. I had already done that with a couple of couches that we kept way past their dumpster date.

I have haunted Craigslist here for 3 years, and I've never seen any furniture I would buy, except for a few buffets and end tables. About 10% of the time, the upholstered furniture is not my style. The other 90%, it is so ugly and usually in such bad shape that I can barely stand to look at the pictures.

At one point I bought a used leather sectional that looked good (leather was taut, not wrinkly) for $600. One of my sons, over a two year period, sliced every single cushion with a knife. He hasn't destroyed anything in a few years, so I figure my new furniture is safe. He has been in treatment this whole time for depression, and is medicated, and I would be surprised if he harmed anything now.

Anyway, over the last 23 years, the vast majority of furniture I've bought has been used, from either Salvation Army or Craigslist. This time I wanted something new that suited me, instead of simply being serviceable and a good value.

BTW, this is a very old, mostly stone farmhouse (early 1900s). A previous renter put in the paneling and the beams so it would look rustic. The paneling is from Home Depot and the beams seem to be plastic. The stone in the fireplace, the exterior walls and the basement walls came from the creek out back. There is a very steep hill down to that creek now because of that.

The stone is both gray and brown. I am shying away from using gray in my color scheme because the basement carpet matches the gray of the stone walls, and it looks like a tomb down there.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Annie, your meditation link is amazing; I so needed it this morning, I had a knot of anxiety in my stomach and I feel much better now.

I like the tangent this thread has taken, we all need to hear those things at time, good luck to clueless, hope you are feeling better, possibly your name will go from clueless to " enlightened ", lol...

• User
    11 years ago

Will your landlord let you paint the beams or take them down (if they are just plastic) that would really help to lighten the space. I agree with Oakleyok about painting first then bring in the accents as the whole feel of the room will change when you lighten it up. As for your stress if it has been going on for a while you may want to talk to your doctor about it as sometimes a tweek of medication can help you turn the corner also constant stress can do harm to your internal organs.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Clueless, my heart breaks for you and all that you are having to endure in your life...blessings.

Your furniture selection is great.....just get some lighter paint on those walls and see how you feel then. You can add lots of color in your accessories...and there are many places you can find things that won't break the bank. Do you have a Kirkland or Home Goods..or even Target or Walmart near you? I find so much pleasure in just looking there and putting things together. You don't need much to make such a change in the looks of your room.

Handling stress is not for the faint of heart...been there many times, and still there after losing both of my husbands due to death, raising 3 children on my own at the age of 33 after first husband was killed, etc. I am now moved "back home" after the death of my last husband 6 months ago, and am beginning to build a house by myself (he was supposed to be here helping me), but life goes on....it is what we do with lemons that makes us strong...we can make lemonade! If I can do it at 70+, so can you! Blessings to you...take time for yourself and enjoy each and every day to the fullest...because it might be the last.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Phoggie, my father, who was the love of my mother's life, died at 33, too, when I was still a baby.
    My mother made lemonade from those lemons, too.

• dianamo_1
    11 years ago

I read here quite often, but hardly ever post.

Just wanted to say I remember your original post and had been watching for an update.

I love the furniture you have picked out! Especially the couch. It's really nice.

I agree with painting the walls next before you do anything else. That will make a HUGE change for you and you will begin to see things in a different light. I would paint them a light color and bring a lot of plants into the room like your mother has done. They add *life* to a room.

Good luck! I think your doing great so far!

• callie25
    11 years ago

Love your sofa! The other neutrals will look good with it. Now all you need is paint & the rug to pull everything together. Be sure to post the photos when finished!

• geokid
    11 years ago

I love the furniture you've picked out. It will look bright and cheery and just the feeling of the inspiration pics you've posted in your other threads...once you paint! Paint the darn room already! :) My last house had muddy mauve and no natural light (houses on three sides and a big porch on the other). As soon as I painted, it changed everything. Even my mood was better.

And if you have a front porch, I suggest you paint the porch ceiling blue. It made a big difference looking out my window and seeing Martha Stewart's Porch Ceiling Blue. Almost as good as being able to see the sky. :)

Let your room evolve. Don't feel like it has to be "done" right away. Take your time finding art and accessories that you love.

You're doing great and you're going to have a lovely space to enjoy.

• clueless
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CLBlakey. the landlord loves the beams -- especially the 40 watt bulbs that go in each end (covered with a short plastic panel. :-) I am going to ask my doctor for something if the meditations on the site Annie linked don't work for me. I hope that meditation works.

phoggie, I am so sorry you lost your husband. I've read your posts and I'm familiar with your story. I think you are very courageous and an inspiration.

geokid, painting the living room is next on the list. The 2 x 3 rug I ordered should arrive today or Monday, and I'm waiting to see if I like it, and to see how it will look with green walls.

Thank you all again for your help and for being so kind. I plan to post by issue from now on since this thread has gotten so long.

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I'm glad you seem a little more positive now about things. I'm sure it will all come together and look good in the end. Sometimes it is hard to see without having all the pieces in place such as furniture, paint, rugs, etc..

Looks like you made some good choices to start with and just need to take it all through the finish line.

BTW if you need photos you could always use the kids phones to take the pictures and have them email them to you.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

What color green are you going to paint the walls? Although I'm not a fan of green walls, I was wondering if it would darken your room? To me, green is the opposite of bright and cheery, which is what you like in your mother's house.

Are you still going to paint the paneling? White would be nice. That would definitely brighten up the room.

• gardenbook
    11 years ago

I just joined this site specifically to tell you how much I love your space and how much I would enjoy decorating it. You really have a lovely space with so much character. Just looking at the pictures makes me excited. Isn't it interesting how differently we see things? My mom is German and she has the identical furniture that your mom has- identical- and I secretly hate it. I'd never have it in my house. No way. I thought that was so funny!

• User
    11 years ago

I would interview designers until you find one who understands you, your situation, and your family's needs. Be absolutely honest with him or her about everything-- money, circumstances, hopes for this place to be a haven, if only temporary, etc. I think if you had professional help with this project it would take a load of stress off you.

• dianamo_1
    11 years ago

Has there been an update on the room?

I'm so curious to see how it's turning out.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Were the pictures removed? I'm getting little boxes.

• dianamo_1
    11 years ago

Yes, they're gone. But I can still remember what the room looked like and was so hoping for an update with the new furniture and the room painted.