SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyamom_gw

Help me pick an accent color - pics

hoyamom
16 years ago

Some of you have read my other thread on choosing mustard seed in the master bedroom to go with my new quilt. The quilt and the mustard seed are identical so I am thinking I would like a different color. I do love the MSeed but maybe it is too monochromatic.

I would like suggestions as to what color walls would look good with the mustard seed colored quilt. I also went to get drapes but I thought they looked too yellow - not a fan of yellow. I like rich deep reds or creams and I think Sky mentioned blue in the other thread. I am not sure what colors would go with the new quilt. The area is a big space and I really want something warm and dark but not too dark.

Suggestions??

Drapes with the mustard seed sample paint. I think they look too yellow IRL. Should I go with something cream for the drapes?

Picture that I would like to put in the room. I would change the mat and the frame.

Thanks again for all your help.

Comments (51)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Just for fun to help you visualize (don't ask me what colors these are)...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I "painted" the headboard wall EK Pumpkin Spice. Use a strong shade like Use Mustard Seed on the three other walls.

{{!gwi}}

• Related Discussions

Help me pick a main house color - pics

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I am going to the paint store tonight to pick up some samples. I will have photos tomorrow to show. I am going to pick up some cooler beige and warm gray colors. This is my short list- Grant Beige, Edgecomb Gray, Bleeker Beige, Shaker Beige, Bennington Gray, Revere Pewter, Coventry Gray. I will also take a look at some cream colors but I am not sure how they will look against my cream colored cabinets. I was hoping for a little contrast. Any other suggestions?
    ...See More

Mini kitchen re-do. Phase 2 - Help me pick paint color? (pics)

Q

Comments (5)
    Yeah.. the pic quality isn't the greatest. That "peach" doesn't look peach at all irl. It's raffia cream by Behr and yeah it will be staying. In the last pic.. sorry, it's blurry, but you can see the living room. It is painted Harvest Brown by Behr.
    ...See More

Help me pick a MB paint color - lots of pics

Q

Comments (29)
    Blues and browns together seem very popular right now. Showcase homes last year in our area had a lot of that color scheme ($500k homes). If you like the thought of an accent wall, how about blue walls with one as accent in brown? I ditto the vote on Nadine's 5th one in her second set of mockups. You could add some blue accessories to the bed....some pillows that had both blue and brown and tan in them. I would never have liked that color combo except that I saw it done somewhere (2 were in bedrooms) in 3 of the 6 homes in our Tour of Homes last year that were just gorgeous. Think how sharp and crisp tan khakis look with a blue button-down shirt.....same with your bedding (the pants) and walls (the shirt). Tabby
    ...See More

help me pick color for my red oak floors. (see pic)

Q

Comments (6)
    It's not just that the color is different with Red Oak, but the grain is busier too. With such a narrow plank, the effect with a very light Red Oak floor might appear choppy. I think the sample to the left of the island column is very even and complements the island finish well. Don't get hung up on trying to create a White Oak look from Red Oak. Look at what works best with the rest of your finishes, even if it is not what you had envisioned from the start. The two samples on the right look very pink and lavender to me. The one on the left looks busy.
    ...See More
  • msjay2u
    16 years ago

i THINK THE BROWN ROOM LOOKS GOOD BUT THEN AGAIN i LIKE DARK COLORS

• polkadots
    16 years ago

In the virtuals above, I really like the brown. It doesn't look like a real dark brown, so maybe you can find something that isn't too dark for you. It looks really rich and then you could soften/lighten with the cream drapes you mentioned. Good luck.

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

I'm not usually drawn to darker colors on walls but oh my, in this case I think the chocolate color walls look fabulous with your quilt and furniture...and leave the blinds/shutters with no drapes.

If you wanted to bring more color in the room, what about a colorful area rug in the space in front of the foot of the bed?

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to "paint" my walls Oceanna and Threegrad!
    Funcolors had suggested EK Bronze so I put the sample card up on the wall last night. Up close, next to the quilt it looked really good but DH said it was too dark. This morning it was really too dark compared to the mustard seed sample on the wall. I think I should stay in the medium toned paint.

I will play around with more colors and when I take back the bolt of material I will have them look again and see if they can find another accent color. If not, I may return the quilt and start over. :(

• nhb22
    16 years ago

You cannot put dark samples on a wall and expect to like them!

Show your DH some photos of rooms that are done in similar colors to your bed in brown or darker walls. This will give you the overall feel. I remember when I came in after the painters had started a brown wall in my study. I thought "OH no...Have I made a mistake!" Same for the other darker walls in my house. Once the walls were finished and the trim was up, they looked better. The real "finished look" came after the furniture, accessories and paintings were placed.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

No no no!!! Don't return the quilt! You love that color and WILL find something to work with it.

I think NHB's thought is correct and the photo is great. Dark colors are scary at first, especially when a chip is held up against something light. I think the Bronze or something like it would be so elegant and cozy. A perfect foil for the quilt, along with accents of cream and a few little hits of a soft blue.

Have you spoken to Ellen yet?

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

I agree with newhomebuilder and amysrq!

• kabergs
    16 years ago

No, don't return the quilt, you've wanted it for a long time. I just pulled out my EK chips and I'm looking at the Mustard Seed, the Bronze and Adobe (only because it was on top of the pile). I'm liking both the Bronze and the Adobe with Mustard Seed (i'm using the Mustard Seed chip for your quilt). I really love the idea of Bronze, expecially with your furniture. Granted I love dark colors but when Funcolors suggested Bronze I immediately thought "yes".

DOn't return teh quilt and don't give up!

• polkadots
    16 years ago

I agree too. Everything looks dark against the light walls. Good idea about looking (and showing DH) some pictures. I love NHB's room! Of course, you need to be comfortable with it :).

• chris61
    16 years ago

How about starting with a "chocolate" wall behind the bed? If you don't like it ...easy to paint over. If you do like it maybe you will want it on all the walls or find a lighter color to coordinate with it on the other walls.

Golds and reds in your other fabrics would be great. Perhaps some patterns, such as broad stripes, rather than solids.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Good idea Chris!

Here are two more photos of the brown.

• jmfromil
    16 years ago

yep, I agree with chris61. In fact I have a 'brown' wall behind my bed and the other 3 are lighter in color. We love it and did it because we have a small bedroom and it makes it appear larger. In fact we liked it so much we did it in the living room, too. :)

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NHB - I LOVE the brown color in your room. Do you think it would be too masculine? What color is it - is it a BM paint? I like how it goes so well with the white trim.

I haven't talked to Ellen yet but I will once I get my new samples. I emailed requesting her new colors but haven't received them in the mail yet. Once I get those I can make a decision on the color for the whole house - dining room/living room and foyer, DH's office, upstairs hallway and of course, the infamous MBR/bathroom.
    I will see what she suggests since my quilt is exactly the mustard seed color.

If we have a snow day tomorrow I will take the bolt of fabric back and see what they say. I will also bring the bronze sample and adobe with me. I may have to go with a BM color rather than EK though I really like her paints.
    Perhaps I can go in a different direction and the silk store might have some red that I like.

thanks for your suggestions!!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Hi Hoyamom - oh please, keep the quilt - it had your name on it and was calling you for a reason - it is your inspiration for a stunning bedroom. The reason I suggested blue was because of your painting in your picture - I was looking at the sky in the painting. Don't forget to consider what is in the master bathroom because you want everything to feel cohesive.

I hope you can find drapery fabric that has mustard seed and other colors that you love and can use to paint your room and pull everything together.

Sky

• nhb22
    16 years ago

It is BM Plymouth Brown. I think that you could probably find a prettier brown though. No, I don't think that brown is too masculine. I have seen several couples bedrooms in soft browns.

BTW - I like the idea of a blue, also! That last blue color is nice.

• teacats
    16 years ago

LOVE the idea of the Plymouth Brown -- it is a lovely large bedroom so the brown would really work in there!

Also love the idea of blue accents!

Perhaps a dark brown bench at the end of the bed with a pillow in blues and golds?

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Hoyamom you're very welcome! I hope you're not thinking of painting your bedroom red? I did that years ago hoping it would make DH more passionate. It did. It made him passionately angry and mean! I painted it pale blue and he calmed down. Whew!

I love NHB's brown room and you want a bedroom to feel cozy. And yes, I think you have to be very brave to do it but the results are wow! I agree, show DH pics of finished rooms. Tape the pics up where you can both look at them a lot and then see what you feel about it after a few days. Of the pics I did, the brown looked the best. My next fave was the sage, but everyone's doing that, ya know?

• jjam
    16 years ago

I've got to agree here, love the brown. I also think you could just use blinds (or shutters), no drapes, which will save considerable $$$. That could sway DH's opinion in a hurry. I don't know how it flows with the rest of your house, but on the virtual it looks so nice, crisp, and clean. If it's just too dark, then I'd probably look at a creamy white or off white, and then I would use the silk for your drapes. I don't think I'd use a gold on the wall with your gorgeous quilt (please don't return it!)

• kittycat76
    16 years ago

I love the dark brown! What a dramatic and romantic room that would be! I love dark colors though.

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I love the pumpkin color.

• pahance
    16 years ago

I think a pretty brown would look great as an accent wall. Maybe something similar to this Candace Olson design?

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Personally, I think the bronze would look fabulous! Since you are fond of EK paint, why not EK Chocolate? The only thing I would consider is if your dark furniture would get lost against brown walls. I like the Candace Olsen pic above. It has all your colors and I think you could definately do an accent wall behind your bed. There are even pretty blue pillows on the bed. They would tie into your painting.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Wish I could remember where I saw the mustard colored room.. Think it was in a post in the buying & selling forum.

If it was me, I would use the mustard, as well as black accents, plus a creamy color. I'd try to find accessories I liked 1st to see if I could pull it off. I did a quick google for mustard colored window coverings and came up empty.

Take the comforter to Depot & Benjamin Moore to see if you can find a complimentary color. You might be able to find a mustard for the walls that is lighter, then do an accent wall behind the bed in the matching comforter color but add a black head board. You then accent with pillows of creams with mustard mixed in.

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my bedroom!

Rosewind/Sky - I love Candace Olsen and I love that picture you posted. I do love the cream and brown and that would go with my master bathroom. I was planning a cream in there bc we have maple cabinets and dark granite.
    Roselvr - I don't want to change my headboard to black - we just bought the bed last year and it is cherry.
    We are in the process of looking for more furniture for the room to fill some blank wall spaces. I think once it gets painted though it will look alot less like a white cave. I'll go for the dark cave look instead! LOL

We didn't get a snow day today so I will head to the silk store on Saturday and check out the direction I should go. Of course I will tell them your suggestions. They have a BM color wheel there so he can help me look for paint colors that might go. Hopefully my new EK paint sample cards will come today.

One of the designers at Ethan Allen said every room should have some black somewhere. I had heard that about red. Hmmm.
    Oceanna - No, I wasn't thinking of painting the room red - yikes - I want it to be a restful place LOL but just add some rich red pillows or accents for a little passion.

I do like the calm blue in NHB's couch and the accent pillows in Olsen's design.
    I will keep you posted!
    Thanks!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I absolutely love that Candace Olsen photo and I'm not usually a fan of accent walls. That one looks perfect for your room. Did you show that one to DH?

• pahance
    16 years ago

Oops - just checked the bedroom again on HGTV.com. The designer was Kristin Hannah. Sorry 'bout that!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Oh Hoyamom, Do you have a rug yet??? Saw this, and thought of your room!

{{!gwi}}

• nhb22
    16 years ago

hoyamom - Those couches in my study are actually a sage green.
    Here is a photo of them in my old house. They were in the sunroom. They use to be mauve and we have had them for 26 years.

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Hoyamom, Ellen has the new designer colors ready for samples? I've put off the painting in my house until after the holidays, and I think what helped me decide to do that is the thought of those new colors in the back of my mind!!!

• msrose
    16 years ago

Here's some pictures I saved from a Color Splash episode. The color is BM Norwich Brown and I just fell in love with it when I saw it on the show.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

If it wasn't for your furniture, I would love a mustard/black room like roselvr mentioned.

Laurie

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

OMG Laurie! Not wanting to hijack the thread, but have YOU considered Norwich Brown for your home? Look at the color of the beadboard in the picture! It might be why you are attracted to it!

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Okay, what's with the new colors from Ellen?

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Not wanting to hijack either, but Amy are you asking what or when? THe what is she's supposed to be coming out with a line of "designer colors" that she's asked professionals who she works with to identify as their signature color. They are supposed to be launched "Soon", but I'm chomping at the bit. I was actually thinking of calling her office to see if they have samples and if not, when htey are expecting them. I'm holding off on my final decisions for my foyer and bedroom just in case....

• msrose
    16 years ago

kmcg85 - yep, I tried it in my house, but I think I have some kind of weird lighting issue in my entryway that makes colors look off :) It was one of the better choices, but still not quite right.

Laurie

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Thanks Kabergs. I haven't spoken with Ellen for a few weeks at least. I need to order paint for my back rooms. It's just for resale, so I can't make myself crazy over it. But it will be fun to see what she comes up with for my next house. (deliver me...)

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Yes, you're moving up this way aren't you? I'm in the Northeast. HOw fun to pick out all new colors!!

Well all this talk about EK paint made me get my valances and drapes out to compare my two current front runners, ALexandra Blue and Seaglass.

• Mick Mick
    16 years ago

I like the bronze. I LOVE your bedding. Do you mind sharing where you found it?

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Hoyamom,
    Sorry for hijacking your thread above.

I was just looking at your pictures again. I still like the bronze and I'm not an expert but what about the Mustard Seed walls and a dark chocolate silk drape as a lighter alternative for the walls?

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Kabergs, yes, I am moving up to Western MA.

Hoyamom, I placed an order with Ellen this morning and she says the new colors will mostly be neutrals, including a golden green and a FS version of BM Yellow Lotus and a pale egg yolk yellow. I wonder if any of these might work... (I am still rooting for Bronze or another dark brown!) I have Classic Cream in my kitchen with Mustard Seed. Even though I am a color person, I really like the CC.

I don't know why I missed the announcement of the new colors from Ellen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link:

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Roselvr - I don't want to change my headboard to black - we just bought the bed last year and it is cherry.
    We are in the process of looking for more furniture for the room to fill some blank wall spaces. I think once it gets painted though it will look alot less like a white cave. I'll go for the dark cave look instead! LOL

Sorry, couldn't tell from the pic.

Thanks for the link. She has some really nice colors. I'll have to check it out more once we move & I'm ready to start thinking about new colors

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kabergs, amy et al - you guys did not hijack my thread - I love reading about all the new paints! I didn't know that Ellen is coming out with some new colors! I just needed some of the newer ones since I got my original card set. I was looking at wheat or some neutral for my foyer/general areas. I was thinking of classic cream but now I guess I will wait too to see what the new ones look like. I have put off my painter until I can come to some sort of decision.

I am going tomorrow to the silk place and will bring my bronze card with me! LOL I really really want EK paint in my MBR so at least I know that the Mustard seed will look good but I will check out the others. I will also look at some chocolate drapes but I really don't want it to get too dark. If you have a large room you can go darker right?

Divastyle - the quilt is from Restoration Hardware and it is the reversible silk quilt in the goldenrod color.

Keep the discussion going!

• msrose
    16 years ago

Hoyamom - Just wondering if you ever picked a color?

Laurie

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing!

Also: Amy, would it be possible for you to post a pic of your kitchen with the Classic Cream wall color? Would love to see it. :)

• levelyn42
    16 years ago

Your comforter is beautiful along with the linens you have. I think the dark brown wall with little lighter on other walls if you don't want it all dark. I think for accent colors cream/champain and a light cool blue, it would look very elegant yet warm. I also like the Kristin Hannah picture. Anxious to hear what colors you go with, and whatever it is know it will look lovely. Evelyn

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Yes, what did you end up doing, Hoyamom? We need to know - lol!

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess I have been too embarrassed to fill you guys in on what I did ~ especially after you all worked so hard coming up with ideas for me. :(
    Well, I will put the blame on DH - but I returned the quilt! Kabergs - don't get mad at me...but he wasn't really "feeling" the color and I was so frustrated trying to find something to go with it that I just gave up and returned it.

I did get my new samples from Ellen. I haven't talked to her personally yet. I am going to put together my fabric samples and pictures of my rooms (LR/DR/Foyer/MBR) so she can choose which color. I ordered sample pots of wheat, parchment, aqua (for the jack and jill bath) and gustavian grey for DH's office. I just painted some boards and have been moving them around to catch the light. I am definitely going to paint the powder room Berry Red so I didn't order a sample pot of that. Aqua and gustavian grey are good to go in the rooms mentioned above. I am still deciding between the wheat and parchment though. I am leaning toward wheat but you know, I really want to know that the house is painted if you know what I mean. I love walking into color and I am not sure if wheat will give me that reaction. DH likes the GG in his office which opens into the foyer. He doesn't like color (would prefer white walls) but GG is light enough for him.

I am going to order sample pots of bronze and cognac for the MBR. When I got the new sample cards the bronze was different from my old card. I like the old card better and I am not sure why the new one is different. I will probably go with Cognac though. It is dark enough but not too dark. We did get some pictures framed to hang in there and we also bought a sofa table to put against the long wall. I will hang that large picture above the table and put my collection of family pics and a lamp on it. I found a chair (it is so comfortable) that I will put next to the table for reading. I ordered another quilt from linensource and will look at the colors when that comes in the next few days.

Sorry this is so long! I have been busy over the holidays. The whole family was together so I put all my decorating on the back burner!

Thank you for thinking of me and I will let you know what I decide!!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

You don't need to be embarrassed! Often times discretion is the better part of valor. Looks like you did the right thing if you couldn't find colors to go with it you liked. What are you going to put on the bed now though? Any ideas?

• msrose
    16 years ago

Can't wait to see! Thanks for the update.

Laurie