SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Update on Nutcracker Christmas Dilemma

User
13 years ago

After four straight days of decorating, we have solved the nutcracker dilemma, set a beautiful dining table and tweaked the tried and true decorations at our house, moving things to new places and trying out a little more bling than I am used to. (You have to understand, though, that "bling" to me may mean a bowl of shiny glass ornaments, even some with glitter :) )

We put nutcrackers on the stairs going down to the library, more on the console in the stair hall outside the library, some on the back of the piano, and some on TOP of the bookshelves, 9 feet up! We've never done that, as I have been sure that they would lose their impact. Instead, they look fabulous! We put two chests up there with lights inside and the tops open enough to see there is light coming from the chests, and I thank whatever foresight inspired me to put outlets throughout the shelving. We have some big nutcrackers up there and also some of the smallest, standing on a decorative model staircase I bought at Mount Vernon many years ago.

The dining room ended up with a white cloth, a light green crossways runner and over that a dark green runner banded with red velvet, upon which sit three large white deer and two huge crystal candlesticks (bought for the occasion). The effect is simple and elegant. I didn't try to gussy up the chandelier with garland because I did not want it to compete with the tablescape. We did try the mint julep cups but they got lost in the vast expanse of the table, which is almost 130" with the leaves in.

The rest of the house is almost done, and I will take pictures of all when we're finished tomorrow. I just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas and patience and all the photos others have posted. They've provided both inrpiration for ideas and an appreciation of all the loving care you all take with your homes, families and holidays.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm