SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Quick CL decision help!

nhb22
14 years ago

Would you pay $12 a piece for these chairs? They are for my son who wants more contemporary chairs, and he likes them!

The woman was asking $65 for 5 chairs. I offered $50, and she said she wanted to get $60. They are from Overstock.com and she paid $130 a pair. The photo isn't great, but the chairs have a fabric cushion and thin wood back. In excellent condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Espresso dining chairs

Comments (36)

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

Would I buy them? No, but I don't care for the look - if you son likes them, 5/$60 seems pretty reasonable to me. They won't be chairs with quality for passing down from Overstock but that's ok. If you hunt for used you might get a better deal and better quality but it's unlikely they'll be contempory - I see some but not a lot.

• gracie-2006
    14 years ago

What does his table look like? I think that is a good buy. Would he still want to cover them? Not my style either- are they sturdy?

• Related Discussions

Need quick decision on CL black leather sofa?

Q

Comments (8)
    Never ending....your right cheap junk wears out quickly. That's kinda why I was thinking of not owning a matched set.....couch-loveseat-chair-ottoman. I paid $3k for the last set 18 years ago. Then I felt stuck when I hated it. The cushions unzip & velcrow, for easy restuffing and reupholstering....I just want to throw it out!!!! BTW....DH loved it! Every time you sit down the seat cushions slid forward and tried to throw you off the couch. So then I'd stand up and karate chop them back into place. :0) The leather scratched and the grey underneath showed thru, no white shoe polish would stick to it. The couch could be replaced often and still keep the ottoman and club chairs combo. :0) Just a thought.....
    ...See More

Quick help: CL spindle legs little table

Q

Comments (6)
    I think that table is pine, and someone has put a new finish on it, It's hard to tell from the pics, but I have had several similar tables are they're all pine, no veneer. Look at the chip on the left side on the third photo. It 'looks' like it goes all the way through. It could be maple, but all that I have seen in that style are pine. Have you written the seller to see if they know what the wood is and whether there is any veneer?
    ...See More

Need Quick Help - CL Find - Do I or Don't I? - PICS

Q

Comments (9)
    Anele, the room is pretty much a blank canvas. We recently put our four poster back up after selling the furniture I did not like. Here are pics of the bed from our old house. I don't have a complete picture of the bed. Ignore the bedding as we no longer use it. Also here is the end table that I purchased off CL for my guest room but we have now moved it into the master. There is no color or anything on the walls and I'm still working on the direction I want to go in. I do know that I would like to have seating in the room and want to put something at the foot of the bed if that helps. OH yeah, I'm still looking for a dresser and have decided that I'm going to use a skirted table or mirrored chest for my side of the bed. I guess I'm concerned about the cream getting dirty but that is my only objection.
    ...See More

help! Quick decision needed

Q

Comments (2)
    Do you have any images of your space (four walls) and an image of how dark you would like your fireplace ideally to be. Perhaps you do not need to go darker or perhaps you do, but visuals speak volumes. Shades and lighting vary along with the colours and decor of a space. Hard to tell without visuals.
    ...See More
  • jant
    14 years ago

I would never buy chairs without sitting in them. I think your son should probably do that. The price is great if it suits his needs.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to look at them and will sit on one.

Not my style either. I have found some great deals on quality antique furniture, but my son doesn't like it and wants contemporary. This is for a college apartment. He does not have a table yet, but I found one on Overstock that should do.

I guess my question should have been. Is $12 a chair for this particular style and make reasonable?

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

I take it you have not even seen them and you offered less is that correct? When people do that when I am selling something I do not even consider it. How can you try and knock the price down without even seeing them and looking to see if they are worth the asking price.

And where might I ask can you get a decent looking chair for $12.00?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's correct! It's my sons dollar and since he is 3 hours away, he asked me to ask if they would take $50.

I see nothing wrong with asking beforehand. As I have read on here, CL sellers expect to bargain.

Also, I have no problem helping my son out by paying $10 more if the chairs are worth it. ;)

• rjinga
    14 years ago

I think they are fine, You cant buy a folding chair for $12. So YES I'd say get them. And I have to agree that I dont see any big issue with asking ahead of seeing, if their prices are negotiable, now maybe specifying an amount you would pay upfront may not be the best plan, I've oftentimes had the exact train of thought you expressed, IF they are good then you would pay the $60 anyway, so why not go, kick the tires and then see how flexible the seller is, by making your offer and see what comes.

Anyhoo, if he likes them that's what matters most. He's a college student, anything not taped, stapled or propped up will be first class :) (not insinuating that he doesn't already have class) but he's a guy, a college guy, their standards are generally not terrilby high when it comes to fashion, although he is YOUR son, so he probably already is shoulders above the rest to begin with. Ok, I'll stop before I dig a big hole :)

They are worth 12 bucks.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

I think they are worth $12--so long as they are study and can with stand the rigous of college boys. It looks like microfiber seats which are easy to clean--a good thing. I also see no harm in asking beforehand--best to have an idea before you make a trip and potentially waste yours and the seller's time.

Though I do have to wonder why she is selling five--most people have either 4 or 6 for a dining table. Did one break and so now she is selling the remainder?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks rjinga!

As for a table, here is the one I found at Overstock. What do you think about it. Shipping is free. Do they charge tax?

I wondered about the 6th chair. Hey, I have two sets of antique dining chairs, and from one set, I have 2 of the 6 remaining, and the other set is missing one chair due to breakage. It happens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Table

• estreya
    14 years ago

"CL sellers expect to bargain."

I actually disagree with this point. I think most people ask what they feel is a fair price.

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

estreya,
    I am really glad that you said that.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Exactly what I was wondering -- bought in pairs -- where's the sixth? Maybe it broke?

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

readerlearner and estreya, perhaps your area is different, but around here, most CL sellers expect way more than their item is worth, sometimes it is laughable, and if I'm interested in the item, before I spend $$ driving to kick the tires, I want to know if the person is going to be flexible. Also, around here, most sellers who are FIRM say so in their ad, if not "negotiable" is implied.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, I am just going on what I have read on this board about sellers expecting price negotiation. I know that when I have sold things, I expected - and did get - lower offers. To each his own.

Back to the subject. Got the chairs! They obviously are not fine chairs, but they seem to be very sturdy and they are in excellent shape. The cushion is a twill type of fabric and they can be recovered when they get too dirty. The finish looks almost black, so now I am hesitant to buy a table online without seeing it in person. Any opinions on the table I have picked out?

Below are some photos of the chair.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Very nice, NHB. Glad you posted the pix, as the CL item is gone. Great looking floors, BTW.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Sorry, NHB, by the time I got here the ad had been deleted, so I couldn't comment on the chairs, but I will now... I think you got a great deal considering their purpose and who their for! The color of these reminds me of items I have seen at World Market - if you have one near, you might look for a table there.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I think that they are great for what you paid and their intended use. They do have some style to them and in the future when his needs or tastes change, he can probably easily sell them for the same amount. I wish had been that smart about furniture prices at that stage of my life. Good job Mom!

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

UGH! Make that "considering their purpose and who they're for!"

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Yes, I think you did good. They seem to fit the young, modern contemporary look. My kids would like it.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I forgot to add that the chairs are real comfortable. They have a nice curve to the back. I think Mama will have to go visit for a meal. :)

Now, about that table? My son says that $117 plus tax is too much. Of course, he is thinking about his wallet, and I am thinking Christmas gift. What do you think? Here's the link again.

Here is a link that might be useful: TABLE

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

glad you got the chairs and glad I can add my input. Yes to the table for a Christmas gift- it goes so well with the chairs. and the price is reasonable as well. go for it!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks coop...I think I will. I like surprises. My son has not asked for anything, and all I have for him are some Polo shirts and sweaters that I found on a sale rack.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Yep, what a great Mom! Merry Christmas!

• pmartin
    14 years ago

Hurray for getting the chairs. Your son will be thrilled that he's got some great looking chairs. The table is sleek, simple and perfect for them. What a great mom!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've decided to go out today and see if I can find another table. The Overstock table is not guaranteed for Christmas delivery. Plus, I realized that it is only 29" high. A little short, although I think some type of extender can be put on the legs.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I think the chairs were a good buy but I would look at CL or another second hand place for a table. The one you are looking at has no extensions and I think that is always nice to have.

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

Overstock typically has no tax and very cheap shipping ($2.95 or less, depending on the special they're running at the time). You can use code 129205 for an extra 10% off a $100 order. Also, if you go through bing.com (microsoft's search engine) to get to overstock's site, your order will qualify for a 15% (at least it was 15% when I ordered - it changes sometimes) cashback bonus through the "bing cashback" program (google that if you want to learn more about it and find out exactly what you need to do). So you could end up getting that table for well under $100 after all is said and done. Just in case you don't find anything you like better.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I really like the chairs!!! I'd buy a cheap table on CL for $25 and stain it dark.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lyban - If the table were for my personal use, I'd want extensions but since this is for a college apartment, I think it would be fine.

Well, I didn't get out to look yesterday. Was planning to go after church today, but it was so gloomy when we got home, that DH and I stayed in and watched Julia/Julie. I'll try to get out tomorrow.

nicole - My time is limited because I want my son to be able to take the table back after Christmas weekend. He already has a small desk type table that I stained for him, but the chairs would be too large for it.

lkplatow - The shipping is free right now. Thanks for the coupon code! If there is no tax, free shipping and I can use the coupon, I think ordering this table is a no brainer. I can always add the adjustable "feet" unto the table legs to give it another inch.

Hope the table is still on sale tomorrow!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Aazing chairs for that price, you can't go wrong.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mitchdesj - The chairs are a done deal. :) I bought them Friday night. It's the table I am working on now...and finding DS a new apartment.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Have you checked any of your local thrift stores? I know our small town ones are being inundated with furniture and other items right now. Even it the color doesn't match now you can always take care of that later.
    Another idea is to make one. Many lumber yards sell table tops and long legs. One bys could be cut by them for the apron. Just a thought.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oops. Forgot to mention the chairs are perfect for you college age son. Great starter set.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, but again I have that time restraint. Making, or painting a table does not fit in with my Christmas shopping, wrapping, cooking, and cleaning up all the decorations.

Haven't found one yet. Going back out this morning. If I come up empty handed, I'll go ahead and order from OS. Hopefully, it will arrive before January 1st and I can take it to DS New Years weekend.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

My only concern about the Overstock table is it's so narrow. Only thirty inches. No room for food on the table with company there.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He's a college kid in a small apartment. LOL Paper plates will fit fine.lol My daughter has had a table from Target for several years and I believe it is only 30 inches wide. I was more concerned about the height, but did find something to raise the legs about an inch at Lowe's today.

Cannot find anything resonable unless it comes with chairs already. Big Lots had a table and chairs for $299.

OK, I am ordering. There is another review out on the table, and it's positive about shipping and the size.

"We received this table really fast; the box was gashed, but the packaging inside was great, and table was fine. It took us about 4 minutes to attach the legs. I can't say enough about how beautiful and sturdy this table is. Has a nice heft and stability to it. It's just perfect for our purposes - a size and style for him to do his home/office work on. It would be great to use as its original purpose too - as a small dining table, but as a work table, it's stunning. Beveled edges, solid wood, and a truly beautiful finish. WELL worth the cost! I gave the table five stars all around, and it has deserved every star!"

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County