SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

LR Rug Selection Help

Tmnca
10 years ago

We'd like to replace the off white shag rug in our living room - it's looking worn and the longer pile is hard to vacuum. We don't like very contemporary designs but we're pretty open to something new. Price range is under $250 and the size of the current rug is 9x12' so we're looking at synthetics from Overstock and Ikea mainly. We already have a traditional red rug from Ikea upstairs.

A lot of the traditional rugs are red and gold - too gold for me, I'd rather stick to cream no predominant gold (already ordered and sent back "Soho Ivory Oriental Rug" from Overstock it was gold not ivory). I should also add that we probably son't want sisal, we had one in the past and it was scratchy and stained too easily.

The walls are BM Mascarpone with Mexicana on the FP wall. The first picture is taken during the day last year and most accurately reflects the colors.

{{!gwi}}

These photos were taken more recently and show the current furniture layout but taken at night with a cell phone the colors are off.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by tinan on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 11:59

Comments (39)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Maybe bring in the terra cotta color from the fireplace? Here are some I found at RugStudio.com...you can shop by color, size, price. Other sites are Rugs Direct, Rugs USA. Home Decorators also has a nice selection of rugs. You can also go to a carpet store and have regular wall to wall carpet cut and bound...look in the remnant section for good deals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Studio

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Have you thought about a couple smaller rugs vs. one large one? A good part of your rug is under the sofa.

Another thought I had was for a round one, to add relief to all the rectangular lines.

Overstock, Ultimate Cream and Beige, 6'7" round, $160. (Not sure how this goes with your colors).

• Related Discussions

Need help finding a rug for LR

Q

Comments (67)
    No idea about what it costs. It's not going to be cheap, but it'll be worth it. And don't worry about having to slice into a rug in order to be able to use a floor outlet. It's counterintuitive, I know, but you don't have to cut a hole, just a slice. It's under the sofa, so it can't be seen, and if you ever hand the rug down or move it somewhere else, the slice will never be seen. Just make sure you slice with with something VERY sharp so that you can get the cleanest cut possible. A larger rug for that room is worth the slicing, IMO. I would contact Safavieh directly and start there.
    ...See More

Help with curtains & area rug for newly renovated LR

Q

Comments (1)
    Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks so much! :-)
    ...See More

LR/DR -fireplace, rug, and other help

Q

Comments (5)
    I think I would forget a mantel- it’ll intrude into the space unnecessarily. I would add a natural jute or sea grass rug in the seating area, and add white linen drapes to all the windows. Find a painting or photo for over the fireplace, and enjoy!
    ...See More

Some options for LR rug

Q

Comments (162)
    Been following and wasn't sold on the honeycomb other than you seem to really like it. But once you paired it with the pillow a few posts above, I understand the appeal. It complements nicely. The colors are quite versatile on that pink/salmon spectrum. And I really liked your original herringbone idea, too, for subtle texture in the room. I think when you have so many options for everything, having an inspiration piece like your art is a good starting point. It's ok to keep returning to it to keep a general focus for the room. I'm saying this because about 10 years ago, I had to choose carpet, sofa fabric, and wall paint color for a family room and was so overwhelmed until I found a vase I liked. It alone served as my "inspiration" piece, and my choices were centered around it. The room came together wonderfully as a result. Theresa, thank you for sharing that Annie Selke blog link--great advice.
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    10 years ago

Have you considered the Ikea Stockholm rug? The 8x12 would exceed your budget by $50 but it is considered a "Chic Classic" by Apartment Therapy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Stockholm rug

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oldbat2be , only 8" of one edge are under the sofa... there is a huge area of rug not under the sofa my photos are just bad and don't show that angle I guess. I would like one large rug to tie the conversation area together.

bbstx, that is too modern and bold for us but thanks for the suggestion!

I was thinking more like these styles but not sure if I have found the right color/pattern yet. I would like to spend in the $250 range but yes the budget is flexible if I can't find what I want in that range. It looks like I might have to go up closer to $350.

Rug 1

rug 2

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I could only see rug 2, the first swings me back to your opening post.
    But, in looking at 2, although a pretty rug, I think it looks too delicate for your over sized furniture.
    I like the idea of going with the terra cotta as joanie suggests, but with a rug with a larger pattern. Doesn't have to be contemporary, although I think a modern look could work if you can find one in your comfort zone.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I think you should wait until you can spend a little more. IâÂÂm all for finding a deal and a look for less but honestlyâ¦the rugs in the $250 range will not look any better than what is there. You have a lovely home and furniture but it all could look even more fabulous with the right rug. You need something to help blend. You may not like any of these but by going up a few hundred the choices are endless.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 12:54

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I was also going to suggest the black and white IKEA Stockholm. Is your sofa black or brown? I also really like the Alvine. They are both wool, I believe.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leather furniture is expresso brown so is the wood furniture (shelving etc) the floor is a chestnut medium brown color. So I guess I want to liven/lighten things up a bit from the brown tones.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jterrilynn , those all look nice to me where are they sold? The links just take me to photobucket. I am open to spending more if needed, I just thought I could get something suitable for less.

I could also easily change the color of the FP accent wall, the only red in the room, if that might free up color choices. I chose the color to downplay the ugly 80's tile around the FP but could paint the wall same as the other walls or another dark color.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the last one jterrilynn posted. It has a southwestern vibe, is relatively light but has some color.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Hi Tinan, I know nothing of this site but looked on BuyAreaRugs.com. I looked in both Traditional and Contemporary category's with filters, beige, red, ivory & tan. For a price filter I checked $500 to $1000. For the size filter I ticked Large.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 million rugs for Tinan

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Nosoccer, the last one is my fav for that room as well. I think it was also the least expensive of the bunch (but can't remember).

EDITE ! Oh yikes! I guess the price filter went blingy. The rug is from the Jaimak Collection "Alanya" and is over 3 grand in the larger size. Sorry!

Edited again! With a google image search it can be found cheaped for the large size at $2,434. I wov this rug.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 15:03

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Tinan, the Ikea Stockholm rug is a bit modern and bold for me too, but thought I would throw it out there.

I prefer oriental/persian rugs or rugs of that style. I think they go with everything! What about this one
    {{!gwi}}

It is from Overstock, and is wool. The 8x10 is $370

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock Rust/Ivory Rug

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Ooh I like the one bbstx just posted. Gorgeous!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Option 2 - paint wall same color as rest of room and update tile.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Option 3 - keep rug and update accent wall :)

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

That rug above is pretty! I think itâÂÂs over kill with the fireplace wall paint though. The tile isnâÂÂt so bad on its own and adds some warmth. I would just paint the fireplace wall the same color as the rest of the walls or maybe one shade darker. Then I would add some cool curtains.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curtains on etsy

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I love the above Overstock rug in your room - really warms up all the brown tones. According to the reviews, the dusty blue shows up well in it, opening up the door for blue accents in the future.

If your budget can handle it, I would prefer to spend another $100 and get a nice wool rug. I have a 10% coupon (expires 12/31) if you need it - Promo Code 225322. There may even be a better one out there somewhere!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I remember when you painted that accent wall and I really like it still, and the new furniture arrangement looks great. That rug bbstx posted is beautiful and I think it would bring everything together wonderfully.

The mock ups with the fireplace wall the same color as the other walls really takes the life and personality out of the room, I think.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the red accent wall. i also like the rug bbtx posted, but it seems to me that it's more rust while your accent wall looks like a red with slightly blue undertones. Is that right?
    However, you could easily repaint the red wall in a more terracotta.

Is this the one you had ordered originally?

Here is a link that might be useful: ivory/goold wool

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh I hope you donâÂÂt misunderstand me Tinan about the fireplace wall color, itâÂÂs not that I donâÂÂt like it itâÂÂs more along the lines of I think itâÂÂs sort of 1994 looking if then pared with a similar colored rug. I actually had two feature walls on opposite ends, one your color and another in emerald back in the early 90âÂÂs (the gem stone days). With the similar color in the fireplace tile as the possible rug color I stand by my thinking that keeping the darker Red-ish/coral paint on fireplace wall is overkill. The tile is just right.
    Not so over much overkill though if you keep the cream rug or at least a rug with much more cream with other colors and then keep the color block. I can see why that was a good solution at the time. It then had a different look. I also think the room looks bigger, airier and more updated without the color block there. To kick it up a notch for really updating I would think about the curtains.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 16:09

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the rug that BBSTX posted! I like it so much that I would willingly repaint the fireplace wall to a shade that is more terracotta.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The red on the wall is not gemstone at all - it's a deep rich red. I do still like it, just moved in and painted everything last spring. Since most of the rugs I like are red tones I thought it might be too much red - or difficult to match... after having to already ship back an overstock rug due to the colors not being as they were described or appeared online (eg "ivory" rug being gold).

The rug bbstx posted is beautiful, but only 10' long I need a 12x9' to look right in the area, so maybe something along those lines.

I love my curtains and do not want to change them (planning to add woven wood blinds underneath eventually), and tile change is definitely more work/mess than I'd like to do - but I am still open to changing the accent wall color as a very easy and inexpensive paint job... but it would have to be for a really great rug that would make it worthwhile :)

This post was edited by tinan on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 23:48

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I'm going to come down on the side of Keep the red wall and stay very light/neutral with the rug
    OR
    bring in a red-toned-rust toned red and ivory rug and repaint the accent wall.
    I agree that the accent wall and the red rug is maybe too much.
    That said, if you decide to go with a red toned rug, I'd put it in the room and live with it for a couple of weeks before deciding to repaint.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree. How about a cream rug with some red in it?
    Farahan Cream

I wonder whether you could call overstock to make sure that the rug isn't too gold.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom love that one!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

There are a bunch of pretty rugs at overstock. I just don't know how you make sure that the colors are what you think/hope they are. I don't know if it would make sense to buy the littlest size and then return that.

This one is Primeval Ivory (it's 371.00)

I don't know if you'd ever had a wool tufted rug, but most have a plastic backing in which the wool is glued. After a while, that glue disintegrates, which can lead to horrible smell. I had a PB rug which I had to toss, even though it still looked amazing from the front.

I was going to suggest the rug below but read the last two reviews on the link. It may also be too gold.

Another suggestion is Costco rugs. At least you can take/ship them back easily if anything goes wrong. I've seen the one below in the store in the size you're looking for. (The online one is smaller for 150.00)

Here is a link that might be useful: another good looking rug

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

HereâÂÂs another direction just for fun. This all wool Safavieh Anatolia sage rug in your size is on sale on Amazon for $571 with free ship. ItâÂÂs hard to go by an online rug picture but Sherwin Williams Escape Gray on the fireplace wall might look very âÂÂHOTâ and updated (but hard to tell which gray greens would work) might have to go lighter to Austere Gray or lighter still to Conservative gray. However, given your dark furniture I think a med/dark green gray best. The gray green family would look real sharp though. As we all know red-ish and green-ish look very nice together. Sorry I did not accomplish those colors in mock-up.

I checked and it seems other sites have this $1,200 rug on sale for around $900 or so, this seems like a good deal at $571 with free ship. However, there also seems to be some good sales on other Safavieh rugs as well. might be worth some lookin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Safavieh sage

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 23:20

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The link below is the one I ordered last year when we first moved in, loved the picture but in person the rug was WAY darker and absolutely gold not ivory, and overall the colors were much darker than shown. Now there are reviews saying the same thing, but at the time I bought it I didn't see that complaint.

I ended up having to pay for return shipping so it put me off buying rugs online even though in the past I have purchased many great rugs from overstock at bargain prices. I think calling them might be a good idea to see if they can confirm the colors. One problem is that color perception can be subjective...

"Ivory" rug that was gold

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

So I guess I'm really confused. If you're set on buying a rug locally and not online, what is the question here?

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some on Overstock below $300 except one of them a bit more, what do you think of these?

Unfortunately overstock doesn't have large images of them all, but I linked the images to the pages.

The red on the FP wall is a warm undertone, a bit orange not blue. That's been a problem with rugs that have maroon or burgundy reds they clash with the wall. I'll try to get a better photo in the daylight tomorrow.

This post was edited by tinan on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 0:09

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mlweaving_Marji, I am NOT planning on buying a rug locally. Local means Ikea (don't have what I want) or fancy rug stores that sell $10,000+ rugs. My best option is online, I was just hesitant about reds because my wall is red and if the rug is the "wrong" red it will clash.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    10 years ago

I once read that if considering a rug purchase online, buy the smallest size available for color/texture check. Returns should be cheaper since the rug is small. If the small rug is a good fit with your needs, then the correct size can be ordered.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would definitely do what Anniecat is suggesting! This way you will know how the red looks in person and you can see if the cream is truly cream.

Great idea!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I had a deep rust red on my walls in my old home in the dining area. We went to TJMaxx and found a slightly orange red rug that really went well with the walls.

Here is a photo. Hope it helps.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Aktillery, I was in Tjmax last night and saw some fantastic rugs for cheap. Some large ones were as low as $175.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Of the ones you posted, I like nos. 1, 5, and 6. I really like 6, but it certainly would take you into the land of "red"; you may have to repaint the red wall in case it clashes, but I'm wondering if you could even paint the accent wall in that blue/gray?

2. in my opinion looks kind of blah
    4. is very dark
    3. and 7. are nice (I like blues and gray) but definitely would take you into a cool direction and may not work with the red
    8. has the action in the middle where your ottoman is. Also, for whatever reason, I find rugs with a medallion more formal and old fashioned.

Do you have a Homegoods or TJ MAxx in your area? Also, our local Costco had a sale of Safavieh rugs yesterday.

• motecraft
    10 years ago

Just in case you are still having difficulties in finding the right rug for yourself, you may contact Manchester of the East. They specialize in custom made rugs and carpets at reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOTE Manchester of the East