SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Recliner Suggestions - Please Help

kimberlyrkb
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My mother-in-law bought us a recliner, which I only found out about AFTER she bought it. She and I do NOT have anywhere close to the same taste and we do not have room for a traditional, huge recliner, which is what she purchased. Besides, we already have more than enough furniture!

The reason she thinks we need a recliner is that my 16-year old special needs step-daughter (she is severely and multiply handicapped) seems to be very comfortable in the recliner in her (MIL's) house, so therefore, we also need a recliner for step-daughter, who is with us only 4 days each month.

Unfortunately, instead of telling my MIL we prefer to choose our own furniture after we have measured our space and chosen our fabrics, my husband wimped out and told her we already had a recliner on order, so she can return hers. (This subject has come up in the past; she has been quite insistent we get a recliner; step-daughter's mom keeps telling us we need a recliner, too.)

So now I'm feeling obligated to buy one, just to keep the peace and not catch my husband up in his dumb lie. Drat! (Lest anyone think I'm being mean by not wanting my step-daughter to be comfy, please let me assure you we have several comfortable pieces of furniture for her, and we get her up and move her SEVERAL times a day so she doesn't get stiff or sore being in the same position all day.)

Therefore, we will buy one, however, it must be smaller/low-profile and it must be cute. Does anyone have a suggestion of a furniture maker or specific model that would fit my requirements? We have a mis-mash of styles, but probably lean traditional.

Thank you,

Kim

Comments (18)