SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Remember my CL secretary? Paint it black?? Progress pics.

reno_fan
15 years ago

Not sure if anyone remembers, but several months ago I bought a secretary from CL. It's been tucked into a corner in my living room, completely untouched, as I had no motivation to fix it up.

DH fixed our router, so we're wireless now, and I can use my laptop in the LR. Now that I actually started using the secretary, I realized how dadblamed ugly it was, so I started fixing it up.

Here are the pics from right after I bought it:

That is some lovely wallpaper in there, right? Blech.

I stripped that out and did a green and rust toile, thinking that I'd keep the secretary green. But I'm thinking a distressed black would look so much better. I keep trying to like the green, but I don't, even though I love how the green toile wallpaper works with it.

Here it is after I removed the glass and added chicken wire, as well as doing a little vignette inside. Now I at least have something pretty to look at when I'm on the computer!

I'm wondering if I could pull off painting it black, but rub off some of the paint, exposing the green. That way it would retain the green to work with the toile, but it would be mostly black.

(I'm pretty sure it's mahogany underneath, but I have absolutely NO desire to restore it. There is waaaaaaay too much paint already on it!)

Whaddya think? Solid black? Distressed black? Black with the green showing through?

Comments (66)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm