SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Secretary is done! Pics and another question

reno_fan
15 years ago

Okay, it's gone from a piece that just "had potential" to one of my very favorites.

Once I got the black base coat on, I remembered how much I lovvvvvved black painted furniture, so I decided not to do a green rub through. However, the black was a little drab, so I got some gold enamel out and drybrushed it on the edges to bring the shape out a bit.

I'm thrilled with it, and am so glad I did the black.

I'm also glad everyone helped confirm my "something's not quite right meter" about losing the chicken wire. This piece needed a distressed elegance, and not a rustic element like chicken wire.

I used some rub n buff on the hardware, as they were soooooo dark that they hardly showed up at all once the paint was dry.

Now I just need to find a key for the doors. I really want to hang a cute tassle from the key, but I have no idea where to find one.

Here are the side by side before and afters:

Now, here's my next question. The original piece has a finial on top between the two arched crest-thingies like in this photo:

{{!gwi}}

My finial is broken, but I still have it. I could paint it and glue it back on, but I really like the look without the finial. Can I get away with leaving it off? I'm hoping that the piece can stand to be without it, because I'm not too keen on the thing. I think it's a bit too tall, and a bit funny looking, IMO. I won't even "go there" about what I really think it looks like! LOL!!

Comments (70)