SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mythreesonsnc_gw

Vaulted ceiling in kitchen? Anybody done this? Pics please!

mythreesonsnc
14 years ago

Hi all,

I have combed through this site, and don't believe I have missed a thread on this topic....

We are working on a house plan that has a kitchen that is connected to a "keeping room." --- that's what they seem to call a family room here in NC! Anyway, the "keeping room will have a vaulted ceiling with beams, much like the pic here....

We will have windowseats flanking the fireplace. My question is, we are planning to have the kitchen facing out to the fireplace -- the range and mantel hood would be opposite the fireplace (I have serious symmetry issues) and a big island would be in between. My question is, what do you think about continuing the vaulted ceiling and the beams all the way to the back wall with the range? I feel like it will make the room lighter and more "open," but I just rarely see pics of a vaulted kitchen --- is it a design no-no? This inspiration room appears to have a flat ceiling over the kitchen, but I feel a bit like it closes off the kitchen --- here's the pic of it..... I am trying to imagine if the vault continued the entire way...

If anybody has any comments, etc. they would be greatly appreciated... especially pictures of this look. We are still in the design phase, so I'd rather consider the negative (or the positive) now, vs. discovering it later!

Thanks so much, Rachel

Comments (33)