SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Another day, another gray....family room makeover with pics

homeagain
12 years ago

As some (many?) of you know, last spring I decided that I was tired of my house and have embarked on a journey to re-decorate a room at a time as budget and time allow. The changes have all been cosmetic, new paint, some new trim, drapes, a rug, some art. Each time I go to the paint store hoping to pick a new color, I always come home with a new gray. So far I have painted the following rooms.

Dining Room - BM Iron Mountain

Home Office - BM Chelsea Gray

Son's room - BM custom mix (50% Gray Owl, 50% Sea Haze)

Foyer, back hall, stairs - BM Revere Pewter

After a break for the holidays (a time and budget issue) I have just finished the family room. Or I hope it's finished.

I really wanted to do a blue/gray in this room and instead of buying new samples I mixed my own with the many samples that I picked up while deciding the other rooms. Unfortunately, everything I tried ended up looking baby blue.

So, I ended up with BM Rockport Gray. I knew immediately that it was the color for me, even though DH thought it would be too dark.

In addition to the new paint, there is new gallery wall above the sofa, drapes that I brought in from the master bedroom, and the rug that I bought last summer for the home office. I also ordered a new leather chair and ottoman to match the one already there, as there isn't enough seating in this room when we have family over. It will be here next week and will go in the corner where the dead plant is. I'm also trying to convince DH that we need a cool ceiling treatment in here. I also want to replace the speakers with in wall speakers at some point.

I'm really enjoying the new look. The one thing I never feel good about is accessorizing. My favorite thing in the room is the verdigris vase on the coffee table and want to pull that color in with some throw pillows. I'm not sure how I ended up with all the bird stuff but it could easily go away. The prints over the sofa are all London street scenes so I may try to find something that emphasizes travel.

Anyway, without further ado............

before

after

without flash

with flash

Comments (28)