SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

How can I DIY a curved curtain rod?

oceanna
12 years ago

I hate my water heater. Don't you hate yours? It's ugly! Unfortunately, it's in the laundry room, where I see it often.

I want to hide it behind a curtain, and I have bought the curtain already. I phoned the people who installed it and they said there is no fire hazard with my water heater because it's electric. (I think gas water heaters have pilot lights, so it wouldn't be safe to cover them closely with fabric because of fire hazard.)

There is a built-in shelf unit above the water heater. The shelf doesn't reach all the way to the front of the water heater.

So I have thought of two choices. One is to just pass a ribbon through the top of the (shower) curtain I've selected, and drape that around the water heater. The other -- and I think this would look a lot better -- is to somehow make a "U" shaped curtain rod that will attach to the bottom of the shelf on both sides of the heater, and extend farther out than the shelf. Or maybe a third of using an "L" shaped rod? Still, a curve would look better.

So what can I bend? All I can think of is an old garden hose, but it would need to be a fairly stiff one, and I'd need to paint it. Maybe some type of tree branch? Willow? Don't own one of those. Hmmm.... got any ideas?

Here's what it looks like:

(Please pardon the shelf clutter; the work crew crammed everything up there after the flood.)

BTW, if you haven't changed the intake hoses behind your washer in the last five years, change them. $20 for new hoses, or $500 deductible on the homeowners and weeks of inconvenience because of flood damage.)

Comments (21)