SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

need photoshop help too!

msjay2u
16 years ago

Hi all. Upon the advice of littledog I came to this forum. I have a thread going (country home needs curb appeal) asking for ideas. I have the WORST time trying to pick out colors. I want to paint my house. My DF (dear fiance?) likes a sage green and I like a red color.

here is my house

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

one person suggested that I put window boxes under the small windows and I LOVE that idea. Can anyone help me to imagine what my house will look like in red

Comments (96)

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Like the 2nd to last picture...

Can someone do a gray house?

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

those windows in the right room are jalousy windows (including the door) and they might have to be replaced. I noticed in one of the photos a regular window was put in and I like the way that looks. My all time favorites are the last one Lindybarts did, and in the second posting from squirrelhaven, the first and second rendition. sooooo romantic! (She is just having tooo much fun! LOL) Thanks so much visualizing my house in these different views helps me to see how different paint and color techniques look.

• Related Discussions

Photoshop help needed with exterior siding - photo included

Q

Comments (9)
    Whew...finally figured it out. Both the old pic and the new pic had the same filename. @@ I moved the crepe myrtle over a bit so you can see more of the left side. I imagine your stone will be a bit darker than it came out in the virtual but it's hard to say. Have you seen this stone on a house? When we were searching for stone, I really found the sample boards to be way off and we had to actually see it up on a house to get a true picture of it.
    ...See More

Photoshop help needed, please

Q

Comments (16)
    I agree but everything I bring home has either too much pink or too much orange in it. The one color/finish (Pecan) that I liked from Lauzon doesn't come in square edge or in select & better. So I have to decide if I can live w/bevel edges and more variation in the wood OR go back to looking at tile. I am so confused at this point I think I'll just leave the bare concrete there LOL!!! Margie: good meeting you yesterday & thanks for having me over!
    ...See More

Trim colors on exterior brick ranch and photoshop help needed.

Q

Comments (2)
    Your house is a gorgeous, classical, balanced, symetrical style, & I'd think it will look best with colors that are in keeping with that image...even if you have to think a while to figure out what to use! The brick & wrought iron & the very size of it give it weight, so you need colors with "weight" so that they look well-matched with the rest of the house, & since the brick has depth & texture, you want simplicity. Paint the downspouts as close to the brick color as possible to camouflage them. I like the way the house looks now, as far as matching & contrast, so I'd experiment with maybe charcoal gray or British racing green (deepest green in the universe, with a little black mixed in) for the shutters, & spanking white for columns & window trim. I like the red door, but if you want a change, maybe stain the door a walnut color & use the same color on the area above the porch. That combination might give the house a "lodge" kind of atmosphere... or you could go spanking white on everything but the door & use a deep Chinese laquer red on it. Whatever you do, it's a beautiful house, & you'll have a lot of fun working on it!
    ...See More

Need Photoshop help for exterior paint

Q

Comments (5)
    Having gone through the process of picking exterior colors, I agree with the above poster that you must get sample pots and try the colors outside at your house. Sample boards work - I used old boards and leftover pieces of drywall - because then you can walk around the house with them. I was amazed at how different a color looked in the front of my house versus the back. If the store where you plan to buy the paint does not offer the sample pots, Home Depot can make up sample pots in colors from other companies. You then have to test it against your paint chip, but it is amazing how well their computer is able to match a color. Do not try to save money by not testing your colors.
    ...See More
  • emagineer
    16 years ago

Ghris, I agree with keeping the barn natural and sealing. The best aging solution is brown vinegar and steel wool pads, letting it sit for a day. Only problem is you have to know what the original wood is. These solutions will age differently (natural aging color) dependant upon the wood source.

MsJay, You have been delightful being so involved in all the responses. Ti's wonderful so many are enjoying your home.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Rose wants to see gray! Maybe next time around with painting, you can get some red in there :)

{{!gwi}}

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the siding on the barn is pine. I forgot what he said about the cut but I think it is cross cut. The grey looks good too but I think I would do that with black or red (LOL) trim. I have been having fun with this. I been updating everyone at work and they keep asking who does this for you. I say it is a forum I tried to tell them about it but no one has "the time" to read forums. hmmph, they just don't know what they are missing.
    This place is great. As I scrool through the posts I realize just how garrish and crude my barn rendition is. LOL I thought it looked good at first. LOL too bright and colorful. I really don't think I am going to paint the barn however, I do think I will try to age the new wood to help it blend in. I checked on the wood yesterday and it is starting to warp so I am going to invest in a $200 nail gun and put it up pretty soon. I was a little insulted when I got my appraisal because they put a zero value on the barn. I wanted to fuss the appraiser out but then appraisal is a matter of opinion (I am an Appraiser myself). It did not matter though because by the time I fix everything up it will have some value.
    I LOVE THIS FORUM!!
    I try to be a good forum"er" by posting responses to some other topics but I can never contribute anything as good as the responses I have gotten here. Talk about a boost in feeling just when I was having a little buyers remorse. I am glad others can share my vision and help me visualize that down the road is not too far away after all!!!
    Love you guys! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think I'm in love! Love the gray, and with the red! This mossy gray in the second pic is nice too :) Kept forgetting to put this birdbath in! OK, OK, I'm outta here ;)

{{!gwi}}

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hate to admit this but I think I like the gray too. I would have never thought of that! It does look nice with the red. I showed DF and you know what he said... its still going to be sage with cream trim...RME's (roll my eyes) LOL

MEN!!!

I like the plantings in front of the chimney too in the last photos but with the iron trellis in earlier photos. what plants can I use to get that effect? (something that will not get out of hand?)

oh yeah and I like the birdbath idea. I was trying to think of something to put in that eyesore well and that is just the ticket! I planted something in the middle of the Mums and just by looking at the pictures you can see it is not nearly large enough to make anyone even look twice. a bird bath is the ticket.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just copied all the photos and do you realize there are 38 differnt color combinations of my house? WOW!!! Iam going to put them all in a slide show and study them all. WHY OH WHY does it have to be too cold to start painting? LOL

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

How much sun do you get there? and how much garden bed area is between the house and the walk?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Look at clematis for the flowering vine. Maybe even weave two different vines that would bloom at different times of year or complement each other. I thought a creamy white would look pretty. It looks shady there, and the whites apparently do better in the shade. There's a white rose that does well in shade, too, but don't have the name readily handy right now.

The net will give you lots of info on them, just keep an eye on how large they get and whether they can be invasive/seed well. I have a couple and they aren't large at all. People often put them on their mailboxes or porch posts. I was thinking Sweet Autumn, as it's creamy and fragrant, BUT apparently it does seed a great deal and is a vigorous grower, so maybe not the right choice :)

The shrub to the side of the chimney is a hydrangea. They also take well to shade, although some like more sun than others.

Good luck with everything! and please keep us posted :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's a pretty cream colored one that Patricia43 loves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geurnsey Cream Clematis

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Can't seem to find your original curb appeal post over in Landscape Design. I saw it previously.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Rose wants to see gray! Maybe next time around with painting, you can get some red in there :)

Thank you for humoring me.. I LOVE IT! It looks a little darkish, wonder how it would look lightened up? I think it compliments the stone very well.

The grey looks good too but I think I would do that with black or red (LOL) trim.

Black trim would look awesome! You can then throw some red accents in.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's a lighter gray and black trim. I'm not sold on the black but we have very little of it around here. The second pic is a softer dark charcoal gray, which I like better.

Put a Japanese Pieris near the chimney. They are beautiful and sculptural evergreens with little white clusters of bell flowers in very early Spring. They are very slow growing, though. There are dwarfs available as well.

If possible, I think I'd swing that walk out and curve it as in the previous virtuals. It'll give you more room for plantings, also, although it's hard to tell how much space there is along the house.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

every time I come on here I get a pleasant suprise and find a new posting. From your photos I realize that I am going to have to change those windows on the right side of the house. It makes a big difference as to how the whole house looks. I plan on checking out the Habitat restore after Christmas.

I like the gray house with the black trim. that looks very sophisticated.

I looked up the Japanese Pieris and that is a very nice plant. It does grow rather tall (even though it takes a long time) but they say that you may trim it after flowering to control the height. I am going to check around to see if I can find some. They say that you can propogate it by cuttings which can be a good thing. Also it says it is fragrant. I looooove fragrant plants. It is also deer resistant. perfect. But then I look for the plant and can not find it less than $25!!! what the heck??

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

There are dwarf varieties too, but you don't get the sculptural effect as they're only about 3' and bushy. I'd also swing that walk away from the house if you can, which would provide more room for the larger variety. There are many, many varieties, so the larger sizes may vary too.

Hmmm, did I read hydrangeas are a plant that deer love!???

$25 is not bad for the Pieris, but it shouldn't be realllly small, esp since they are very slow growing. It's one of my favorite shrubs. I have had trouble with the mites though with them. Once the leaves are sucked yellow, that's it. They don't come back. :(( It's always a struggle, and expense, but well worth it.

Pay careful attention to your door style too. It can make or break the facade. I wasn't sure what type solid door would be appropriate for your style house.

Wondering if you like the house with or without shutters, or what dh prefers.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

The newest photos are awesome! The house looks great using those colors.

Looking at your {{!gwi}}, I might think to eventually change out the left bedroom windows to something a little bigger, more in line to the ones on the right.

The Pieris is a pretty common plant here in NJ, we can find them at Depot / Lowes & possibly Walmart, not at $25 unless it is a larger can (pot). I wouldn't doubt you've seen them before, they look like clusters of lily of the valley. I think you could also go with a Japanese Maple (maybe to the right) to get the red.

I hate to admit this but I think I like the gray too. I would have never thought of that! It does look nice with the red. I showed DF and you know what he said... its still going to be sage with cream trim...

I like the sage with creme, but not as much as the gray. The sage is complimentary to the stone but I'm not liking the cream with the stone, as it's a different color pallet to me.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the shutters and the window boxes. What I have been wondering (and I keep looking at the pictures to decide) is that on the first picture squirrelhaven had put a line down seperating the two parts of the house and I think I really like that look BUT with both sides of the house being the same color. DF is still set on the sage color with the cream/beige trim. I am also going to put up red shutters on the small windows in the front and cream window boxes under all the windows. I will be making the walkway further from the house to have a nicer raised bed and defined walkway (still using the brick pavers). I think I like the shutters and front door to be in the red and the window boxes will match the cream/beige trim. I think I am also going to put a metal trellis on the chimney. Gosh it is starting to sound like I HAVE A PLAN!! I also do love the those bushes with the huge pom pom looking flowers. I don't know the name yet. Mabe that will be near the right side of the house somehwere once I know all the Wisteria is gone.
    Thanks to you guys and your renditions. THIS HAS BEEN SUCH A GREAT HELP AND I HOPE YOU KNOW JUST HOW APPRECIATIVE I AM!! I WAS SO LOST TILL I GOT HERE!!!
    THANK YOU!!!

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

I have one more suggestion...if you are going to have white window treatments inside, you can paint the window sashes red too. With the white curtains behind them, they really pop. When we painted, we followed the guideline of "anything that moves", meaning doors, windows, and shutters (well, they're supposed to move) are all painted the same accent color. Trim is all the same color, so we wouldn't have painted that trim under the roofline red, we would paint it cream.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bungalow_house that sounds good. I just went out and got drapes for the right room and they are lined with white fabric. mmmm hmmmm
    This forum is just too cool
    Thanks

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Msjay, I've been enjoying following this thread but haven't felt I had much to add [except praise for the great work and advice that's been forthcoming] ... until now: Sticker shock for trees, shrubs and some perennial plants is common. The pieris is, indeed, deer resistant and a healthy plant well sited and given the minimal care they ask, will grace your home year-round for many, many years to come. Consider it an investment. There are many varieties, offering various heights and widths at maturity and a few flower and foliage options. All are evergreen, bloom in very early spring in white or shades of pink; on some varieties the new foliage is red, other varieties have variegated leaves. The clusters of flower buds have formed already up here in Zone seven NJ, and will continue to swell until it's time for them to bloom in March, a lovely companion to the early-flowering galanthus, hellebores and heaths; as the season progresses, the dense, dark green, glossy leaves will provide a lovely backdrop for other plants.

To the best of my knowledge, all varieties are very adaptable, but do best in a well-drained, slightly acidic soil in dappled shade.

You have a charming home, and the gardens that have been "planted" in the mock-ups certainly add to that charm. Take your time and give your garden[s] what they call "good bones" ... the elements that will be there year 'round. If necessary for budgetary reasons, I would invest first in those pieces that make up the "bones" and fill in with less expensive annuals until my budget allowed me to replace them with perennials. Or, you may find some generous gardeners in your area willing to share divisions of their own plants.

The very best to you both in your new home. I was going to say my usual "enjoy the process", but it sounds like you're already doing that [smile]. As everyone else, I'll be looking forward to updates as you move forward.

Afterthought: You might find helpful the link below for Rutgers University Cooperative Extension listing of plants rated by deer resistance. As you will see near the top of the page, this list is sortable in various ways. Remember, though, that when deer are famished, they'll eat just about any plant material, no matter how distasteful to them.

Another afterthought: I have a lot of dappled shade here, from tall oaks, and find it's a wonderful growing environment for more plants than I ever expected. I've gone on enough, but would be happy to share my list of favorites if you're interested. Have fun.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Sorry this is so crude, done in Paintshop, but hope it gives you an idea of another color scheme...

{{!gwi}}

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That last color scheme is a good one as well but the chimeney has more of a greay stone so that color might clash a bit. My last house was that color just as you depicted with white trim and a red door. It looked GREAT!!! It is a very nice color scheme but DF is still set on the previously mentioned colors.

agardenstateof mind thanks for the advice. I would be interested in your list. Thanks!

I went out in the yard today and mulched up the carpet of leaves I had out there. It must have been 6" deep! I have a 10 to 1 mulcher and I left the mulched material on the ground. Oak and maple leaves. I hope they will be good for the soil. There was so much out there that even mulched up it would have filled up 10 or more bags just from the front of the house.

If we have more weekends like this one my house might get painted sooner than later. Question. The room on the right has all jalousie type windows including the door. As you can imagine the same temp it is outside is the same temp on the inside. We plan on replacing the windows but I like the door being full glass. Do you think it will be weird to put a storm door in front of the jalousie door? any ideas how to insulate the door without replacing it? I wonder if I can get someone to come in and modify the door to have a glass front rather than the jalousie windows. The door as it is is not that secure because before I moved in the PO lost her key and she had someone slide out one of the glass panes to open the door.

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

msj, would a French door work? Not sure if it would look right, but it would let in lots of light and be more airtight.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Those colors look great, Oceanna! The gray of the stone wouldn't bother me I don't think. Doesn't in the virtual. There also seems to be golden colors in the stone when you enlarge the image or spraywash it, although the patina it's acquired is probably quite nice to keep.

We're just enjoying the options and house, MsJay2U! The green will be beautiful. It is interesting how set he is on it, though :)

If the door is still good, I would think the glass of the door could be replaced. Maybe check with a glass shop? Get one of those heavy-duty glasses that intruders can't get through (not too easily, anyway :)

I wonder if you should actually solidify the door with wood for security and insulation, or just get a wooden security/weather door and then use a glass screen door for the daylight -- or one of those old-fashioned wooden paned doors (love those things!)

• msrose
    16 years ago

oceanna - I really like those colors!

Laurie

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie and Squirrel!

MsJay: Men!!!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

The gray of the stone wouldn't bother me I don't think. Doesn't in the virtual. There also seems to be golden colors in the stone when you enlarge the image or spraywash it, although the patina it's acquired is probably quite nice to keep.

I'm actually seeing a grayish tone in the paint that is complimentary to the stone. Even the red seems to have gray undertones on my monitor. I'm not a red person, it's my least liked color but I like that shade of red for the house

btw, Lindy mentioned the plants she used on the side of the house (I finally had time to go back & read)

MsJay, those are carpet roses on the left side of the house. It's what our builder put in front of ours which is why I knew about them.

I thought they were Azaleas, which would give close to the same look. There's also a spirea you can use that stays pretty low.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The reason DF is set on the colors is because as soon as we brought the house he went out to buy the paint. It sits in the basement waiting to be used. He feels he will lose money if we switch. Oceannna you are right: MEN!!! He probably brought the paint so fast to make sure we paint his colors. LOL

I tried growing Azaleas in Florida and I had such a bad time with them. maybe I need to buy larger ones to start with rather than the $1.50 specials? LOL I did look up the carpet roses though and they are pretty and resistant to everything. So it will be one or the other.

Squirrelhaven: I have an old fashioned paned door on the back of the house and the glass was replaced with clear Pexiglass (harder to break in) and I do love it but I am not sure how that will look on the front. I have to check around to find out how to replace the jalousy with some kind of windows. Any ideas what wwould be the cheapest way to do that? I know those "door altering companies" are through the roof in prices for altering doors.

I am not too worried about having a wood door (vs steel). Thankfully there is low crime where I live. My neighbor has lived there for 80+ years and she has only heard of one break in on the block and she says that was an inside job.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

For doors, and maybe for the windows for your door, why not check your local Craigslist? Amazing stuff in there.

• ashli
    16 years ago

I love that house in red and white...with a red roof on the barn...it says, Wow!..ha...Compromise...with your hubby...tell him if he STILL doesn't like the red in one year, you will paint it HIS color of choice. (My three cents)

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to respond to you roselvr when you said Looking at your floorplan, I might think to eventually change out the left bedroom windows to something a little bigger, more in line to the ones on the right.

There is no way to change the bedroom windows (on the left front of the house) as those are in the part of the house with the logs inside the walls. Can't mess with them!

Ashli: easier said than done. I think I might let DF (Fiance) win on this one. You know the old adage "Choose your battles" but if the excuse ever comes up it will be painted red with the quickness. He was hoping to get a job on the road and I was hoping too because soon as he left I was gonna have it painted before he hit the border BUT as it turns out he got a local job he loves. **DANG**
    LOL

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

That stinks.

The reason DF is set on the colors is because as soon as we brought the house he went out to buy the paint. It sits in the basement waiting to be used. He feels he will lose money if we switch.

Think of it this way.. there could be worst colors & be glad he's involved and wanting to do it. Depending on what shade of sage he bought, it should look fine.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

He already bought the paint?! OM, I hope it's a really nice shade of green on the first try :)

Good point from GardenState, invest the time and some money in your landscape (it will pay off :) If you buy the really young, cheap ones, they will take sooo long to enjoy -- growing and filling out can sometimes a lifetime! Look for nice growth shapes in your plants, too. If they're picked over, wait till next season :) Think of the overall bones/structure when you plant, as GardenState mentioned, and carefully think about the specific needs of the plant when you choose their new home :)

I'm glad those br windows can't be changed! They so charming that way :)

For the door, I'd try a glass shop, as Patricia43 often mentions as a cost-savings method. See what they say.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I tried growing Azaleas in Florida and I had such a bad time with them. maybe I need to buy larger ones to start with rather than the $1.50 specials? LOL I did look up the carpet roses though and they are pretty and resistant to everything. So it will be one or the other.

BTW, With the Flower Carpet roses, I don't see many people offering them. I've never ordered from Great Lakes roses so I can't tell you if they are small own root or bare root. There are other roses that will give the same look. If you go to my page at HMF click on Outta The Blue, Carefree Wonder or Ballerina.

Without reading the whole post again, how much sun does the side get? I see you're in NC, so you should be ok zone wise.

You can make really cute gardens, using what ever you want. I prefer to use perennials & roses, but when our new house is ready, may end up with some interesting landscaping plants. Haven't decided yet. I love using daylilies & iris, cone flowers, black eyed Susan & Phlox. I like mixing up colors, rainbow gardening. Not exactly sure how many of my shots are online.. but if you see something you like, don't hesitate to email me. If we are still in this house when spring comes, I can dig some plants out for you.

I have a few webshots user sites...

Roselvr1, with plants here
    Roselvr
    West Jersey Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Lakes Roses

• zipdee
    16 years ago

I LOVE the red on your house too! What a cute house, love the property and barn too. I can't wait to see pics when you get it painted.

I can also commiserate with you on the whole picking a house color with your significant other thing. When we bought this house my DH was dead set on green. He did the same thing as your DF, ran out and bought paint .. I wasn't pleased. When we went to paint the house it was NOT a good shade, my DH a great carpenter/builder, but I swear he's color blind at times. I trucked all the paint back down to SW and the owner helped me fix it by coming up with a passable shade of taupe. The house stayed taupe until we had to paint again .. this time around I got my yellow. ;) DH wasn't sure at first, but he loves it now that it's up. So there is hope yet you may get your red. :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are the combinations you were last thinking of. The pom-pom shrubs might be shade-loving hydrangeas (although I think I just read the deer love them (area-dependent)).

The second pic is a more red-red, which might be your preference. I was settling the house into the woodland landscape quietly, with a soft brownish red, also tying closely to the weathered barn :)

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I showed some people the color choices and what do you know a neighbor painted her house red. Isn't it just lovely when people steal your ideas?? Especially when they live so close you have to see it EVERYDAY?? sighhhhhh. The house is for sale maybe I should buy it! LOL

squirrelhaven I love the new pics! We are in the process of painting the inside of the houes. it is still too dreadfully cold outside to even consider painting the house. I can't wait though! I love those pompom flowers. they are wonderful. I think I'm liking the evergreen groundcover you included too. That looks pretty swift.
    THANKS!!

I did not check the box to notify me when a new reply is sent so thanks squirrelhaven for emailing me to let me know of the new photos.

I am painting my kitchen blue and in the store it looked so subdued but in the house it looks a very bright! I should have posted pictures of my kitchen to get photoshop help with that too. LOL
    Okay I have to get off the computer else I will not get this stuff finished before the new year....out with the old colors in with the new. At least on the inside anyway.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You're welcome! It looks great. I like pachysandra as a ground cover, it's lush and essentially carefree and evergreen.

Glad you have an email on your Page :) Have a great holiday season!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I did not check the box to notify me when a new reply is sent so thanks squirrelhaven for emailing me to let me know of the new photos.

Check your member profile, there used to be an option that it will automatically email when starting posts

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ohhh ohhh ohhh today I picked up a copy of GREAT gARDENS MAGAZINE from Lowes and it has beaqutiful pictures of foundation and landscaping projects.
    MORE HELP WHOOO WHOOO

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Stumbled on this thread (from the Kitchen Forum) and enjoyed looking at all the color choices. BTW, thats a darling cottage!

I just wanted to say that it has been our experience (and also a friend with many, many rental houses) that GRAY DOES NOT HOLD ITS COLOR VERY WELL, it washes out fairly quickly. Thats been true with many different brands. Our friend with the rentals stopped using that color many years ago.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I wonder what the key with gray is. We have some beautiful townhouses around here in gray. At least one of them is wood, not Hardiplank. I don't know if the paint is original, but at least 10yo on that particular place. It's one of my favorite styles, with the wood or shingle siding and white trim. This one does have a good bit of tan to it, noticing recently. It always reads gray to me, though.

• LisaBC
    16 years ago

I have some ideas for curb appeal.
    You should make your front door more of a grand, welcoming entrance so it isn't mistaken for a side door.
    Make the stairs more noticeable by painting or staining them or making them bigger and putting railings on them to match your trim color.
    Or make a covered porch or patio in front of the stairs. Put a roof over the porch.
    If parking is allowed on the street in front of the house, make the front walk split to go to the street and the driveway. Be sure to make it at least 4 feet wide.
    What do you all think of these ideas?

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

Msjay2u, your home is absolutely adorable! And what the gals did with photoshop, well, they all look wonderful. I would never be able to choose! It's just amazing what these gals can do! I'm too ashamed to post my shack on here, but I sure love to look at everyone else's and dream...

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just want to sayy that now the weather has broken we are anxious to paint. BUT now we have had rain every single freaking weekend. It just never ends. We did change the direction of the path a little to bring the walkway out some. There is no street parking n2cookin. I do want to get started and post my follows. I will have to start a new thread though because I forgot to put a notification on this one so I have no idea when anyone responds.
    Just wanted you guys to know your suggestions have not been in vain!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I can't believe this thread is even still here! Maybe a lot of views. Looking forward to seeing your projects come to fruition : )

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey guys the rain finally broke, and it is not hot as hell so we FINALLY got a chance to start painting and I had to take in process photos with my camera phone to shar with you guys.

I tried to take the same angles as the before photos. Now the house is not finished. We still have not painted the doors or the trim and have not put up the window boxes yet. The trim is going to be cream and I forgot what colow we picked for the door.

So here it is. It remarkably looks a lot like one of squirrelhavens rendition.

{{!gwi}}

I loooove elephant ears and I hope I do not wind up regretting planting them by the fron door even though we NEVER use it.

I also used a paver mold to redo the walkway in the front. the brick that were then has made the planter on the side of the house.

It loooks sooooo good even though it is not finished

{{!gwi}}

photos taken with a blackberry pearl cell phone!! Not bad for a camera phone!!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh and I am sorry I have not been on here for a while. I been on the farm life forum

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    15 years ago

I just found this thread tonight and it is March 20th of 2009. What does your bungalow look like now? You are in zone 7, no? You just might have flowers blooming already. Would love to see a recent picture.
    Trowelgal

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH