SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

LR/DR wall conundrum, questions

Gooster
10 years ago

I'm back asking questions about this room again, which I've posed (to many helpful replies) in several threads over the last couple of months. We're all on the countdown to T-day and like others, I'm working to get this room acceptable.

The new formal LR/DR was carved out of the old LR; the old DR became part of the kitchen and the little used formal LR was scaled back. This resulted in a clash of styles (very traditional DR) and (a more moderne/art deco leaning LR).

In part thanks to various inputs, I've swapped out the rug, the occasional tables, the end chairs, lighting, and the drapes. The house was shopped for repurposed items and the surfaces decluttered. The big pieces (DR set, sofa, chaise) have stayed the same.

Here's the current DR area.

The mirror was painted over (see another thread). The position is up for debate. Should it be on the short wall with a larger piece (or pieces of art) on the long wall? Or should it stay on the long wall with something on either side? I think sconces are out as there is not enough depth behind the dining table. I thought about smaller paired art pieces or perhaps some fretwork or even applied moulding that echos the chandy.

teacats suggested swapping it over the FP, but I have a lot of mirrored surfaces there and wanted to keep a mirror on the DR side.

I think the server is too large and too traditional. Any suggestions on a replacement?

Here's two shots of the LR side -- the drapes (dupioni silk, inverted pleat) just got hung this week. They are really tough to iron out! I read in an old thread that people send these out to get professionally pressed. I think I'm out of time. How do I finish the ends? Does the little last flap hook onto the wall (with some type of eye hook?)?

And the corner window.

I am also not 100% happy with the lamps or the overall lighting on this side. The whole "builtin" thread got me thinking I need to declutter even more. And, overall, the look is a bit formal even for a formal LR/DR. Does it look too formal? Also, does this side come off as still cramped with furniture?

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 21:27

Comments (24)