SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creekylis

Crazy or brilliant? Closing up the LR/DR opening -- ideas?

creekylis
16 years ago

Okay... I am wanting very much to close up the wall between my formal living room and dining room so I can make the DR an office with the clutter safely hidden from the view of the front door.

That said... I realize closing up rooms is not the popular decision right now and so I'd sort of like to do something that, while effective and attractive, will also be easily reversible. So... I'm looking for opinions and suggestions.

Here is the situation: The opening ("doorway") is unframed, and has a textured plaster finish which matches the LR walls and the lower half of the DR walls (top of DR walls is currently wallpapered with a chair rail in between). It is just over 8' wide and 80" tall. The only trim on the opening is the base moulding that wraps around the bottom from room to room. The space is carpeted and will likely stay that way. The opening is centered from the DR side with about 18" of wall on either side. On the LR side there is 18" of wall to the left and about 40" of wall to the right. I suppose I should mention that the DR has a 29" doorway to the kitchen which would stay.

Considerations: While I do believe I could frame and drywall this shut myself, matching the texture of the surrounding plaster is a daunting task. French doors, while lovely, do not solve the issue of the view from the front door. Solid doors I think might just overwhelm the space.

Current leading idea: Use (3) 32" hollow core doors, attached together in a long sheet at the top and bottom, to mount in the middle of the opening (recessed from both room sides). Then, cover the doors with beadboard paneling, and trim around it with some sort of moulding and add baseboard to blend into the rest of the walls at the bottom. Add a chair rail and paint the whole thing to match the surrounding walls. My thought is that this would appear as sort of a niche on both sides and would function well, yet it could all be taken down pretty easily. It would also be cheap -- probably under $100 -- so when/if I decide I no longer want it there's no guilt. I have an upright piano that would likely be placed in front of this pseudo-wall on the LR side.

Okay... dumb idea? great idea? any other ideas out there? I'd LOVE to hear...

Thanks a bunch!

Lis

Comments (19)