SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

Closing up my small, open concept home.

I’m seriously contemplating putting up walls in my open concept home. Would doing so be a colossal mistake?

I had my home built a little over five years ago. While it has the typical open floorplan of suburban new builds, it is smaller than the average new construction single family home at 1450 sq ft. The first floor is about 750 sq feet and the entire space (except for the powder room) is visible from the front door.

I’m tired of every thing being on display and being greeted by clutter when coming home after work. I have two kids and between the two of them and myself, there is always something on the kitchen island. It always appears messy. Even when things are clean, my home still doesn’t look picture perfect. I cook quite a bit and my drying rack is always full of pots and pans and whatever else. When a big holiday meal is prepared it’s hard to sit down and not notice the mess just two steps away in full view.

So I want walls or a visual separation of some sort. My plan was to have my basement finished this winter/spring and I’m wondering if perhaps I should have any upstairs remodeling done at the same time since I will have framing and drywall contractors here anyway. Of course doing this sort of remodeling triggers a remodeling creep and I think the kitchen and potentially floors would need to be done as well. So then that will probably push everything out another year.

I have considered buying a new home, but every single new home is also open concept and a custom build is not something I can afford. If I do decide to remodel and close up the open floorplan, I would be doing so for me as I have reconciled the fact that this is my forever home. I want it to suit me, suit my family and our needs. My main concern is just how small the space is. I don’t mind a cozy but I don’t want cramped.

This is the floor plan. I have the kitchen island turned facing the living room. I also swapped the fridge and pantry locations.

Comments (12)