SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Should I paint my DR the same as LR?

User
12 years ago

I'm just loving green these days! The BM Agave that I recently used in my living room makes me very happy. It's just deep enough to work with my colorful accessories, but not too deep as to be overwhelming. I do, however, sometimes feel that the dark turquoise color on my dining room walls overwhelms. The room feels a bit cave-like, which I initially thought would be rather dramatic for dining by candlelight ... but to be honest, we don't do that, so the room remains a dark cave, even during the day. I also really hate the sheen of paint I selected (semigloss), and wish I'd used eggshell instead. Lately I've been toying with the idea of carrying the BM Agave from the living room into the dining room. That would make two rooms that sit next to one another the deeper green, and the dining room opens into the kitchen which now has a softer green on the walls (and red trim). The photos in the dining room were taken with the flash on, so the turquoise actually appears a bit brighter in the pics than it is in person. Anyway - paint the dining room? WWYD?

Just to show the softer green on the kitchen walls:

Comments (45)

• leahcate
    12 years ago

Yes. One color would create a nice flowing feel, vs. a jump over to another space, bringing the interest to your collections vs. the walls...though I do love that dark turquoise against the bright white.

• natal
    12 years ago

Your cave-like comment reminds me of my former kitchen. The cabinets were a deeper blue, but they had the same effect ... way too dark.

I love the shot of the fireplace wall taken through the archway. The contrast between the two rooms is striking. My vote is yes ... either the same color or something softer.

And a final thought, I know you paired down the kitchen wall art, have you considered doing the same in other rooms? Might be an opportunity to highlight those pieces that mean the most to you, without having them compete with all the others.

• Related Discussions

Small Space. Lower Peninsula? Switch DR(--)LR? No DR?

Q

Comments (13)
    BalTra, it's nice but in no way does it fit your notion of flexibility. Both the banquette and the island would be built in. Neither could move an inch. Plus, given your square footage limitations, why build in TWO small dining areas? Maybe just a seat at a nice-sized but not large island for kiddo or a friend to keep you company? But you don't want a "large" "formal" table in your kitchen for everyday meals--of course not. Precious few would. How about instead a nice cozy table for 2-4 that expands to hold 8? Handsome enough to dress up but with a tough finish that doesn't showcase fingerprints? Or the table you mentioned that could be separated into various parts and put back together as needed? Or a table that lowers and raises as desired? All are ways to design in comfort and flexibility instead of building in inadequacy. You could, of course, if you wished also have a fine-quality banquette-style seat that's super comfy to pull the table, or a piece of table, up to; I'm thinking more of a custom couch for dining, though, which doesn't have to be bolted to the wall and floor. With your table pulled over, or pieces placed at the ends and in front, it would allow friends to dine or lounge for hours.
    ...See More

share your ideas for this part of my DR/LR!

Q

Comments (6)
    Valinsv hit it on the nail about the DR looking cramped. You have plenty of room to move the table and chairs out. The dining room actually starts at the beginning of the wall with the pass through. The only thing I can see working on that wall is large modern art since there is already a buffet and a console. I just don't think you need more furniture. If you still have your mind made up for a table, it may be a good idea to look for one that is all wood (no metal)with clean lines. If would break up all the metal and add some warmth to the room.
    ...See More

should i paint my entertainment center the same color as my crown mold

Q

Comments (2)
    I say no. That looks like a fine hardwood piece. Traditionally, "paint grade" furniture was more economical because A.) a lower cost hardwood can be used (soft maple, poplar, etc.) over premium woods (cherry, hard maple, mahogany, etc.) B.) different types of hardwoods could be used since it was going to be painted solid, i.e. mixed species C. lower grades of hardwoods (knots could be filled, etc.) The trend is that everyone wants to go solid paint. To some extent, I would say white furniture/cabinetry/millwork does look a bit "cleaner." And, the wood furniture sitting on wood flooring sometimes creates a look that looks like too much wood, especially dark stained wood. If it's cheap particleboard furniture go for it. Otherwise keep it as is.
    ...See More

Should I paint my pantry the same color as my door?

Q

Comments (13)
    I have dockside hickory flooring, and a pantry in the kitchen. I want to get new cabinets and countertops....I have black appliances. I am thinking a blue...maybe slate blue for cabinets....and wondered what to paint my pantry? NOt sure on wall color...I was thinking white....and not sure of countertops. HELP? lol
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! The idea of a more flowing feel throughout my house does appeal to me. Funny, when we moved into this house, my dad suggested that we paint all of the rooms in a soft green, similar to what was originally on the walls in the 1940s. I didn't heed his advice, but now find that he may have been right all along - since that seems to be the direction I'm heading, after having first turned this place into a Crayola box! I'm considering painting my hallway in the same lighter BM shade (Warren Acres) that I've used in the kitchen and now in the bath as well. Our den/tv room, at the back of the house, will probably go green too - considering BM Urban Nature, or might even go with BM Agave in that room, as in the living room and (possibly) the dining room. The office is currently two-toned (dark red below the chair rail, a tan shade above) - but I'm also envisioning this room green! Our guest room (doubles as my workout space) is painted in a soft aqua, and I don't think I want to change that room, as I do love the color. I may decide differently once I paint the other rooms though.

Natal, I have actually been considering paring down the artwork on the LR and DR walls. Problem is, I'm not sure what I can live without! The thought of rotating pieces periodically doesn't really appeal to me either, so I don't know quite how to start the paring process in these rooms - but I'm still thinking on it.

• sloyder
    12 years ago

Love your art.

• natal
    12 years ago

I don't really rotate pieces, but I have occasionally put some in storage when I buy something new and then reassess their use at a later date. A print that's been stashed away for about 6 years, recently found a new home in dh's office and as a result of that I've decided to bring another out of storage and move a few others around. Some pieces are eventually given away when I realize they've served their purpose and I'm not likely to ever want to hang them again.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

I like that it's different but if you desire more flow, then go for it. You could also change the intensity of the blue or choose a different color altogether.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I would def. consider going green in the DR too. Normally I would suggest a different shade of green but because you have so much beautiful art work I would stick w/ the same shade as the LR too.

BTW - your LR makes me happy too!

PS - I though of you and your trip tip England this year when I was at my mom's house looking at all of her collections that she has on display.

• roarah
    12 years ago

I really like the contrast but I understand wanting a change and I always feel like Harold and the purple crayon when i paint; after finishing one room than the next looks old so i just keep going:).

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I think you could probably go down a shade or two on the card and it would read the same but a bit moodier. Unless its one of those paint strips that makes quantum leaps.

• B H
    12 years ago

The only thing I would question is whether or not you can handle all that green between your LR, kitchen, hallways, etc...

If you like the continuity, as some have said what about another shade? Or something that complements both those greens but a different color?

• User
    12 years ago

I'm a huge fan of green especially the apple greens however I think having green in all the rooms would be too much of a good thing.

Looking at the pictures what I really find stunning is how the two colors in each room match perfectly with one another and how the bolder colors work with your art work. For example, the picture where you can see the horse picture in the living room from the dining room. The blue in the horse really stands out from that angle. And the blue against the green is fabulous. I can understand how the turquoise would feel to dark, but maybe you can just repaint the room with a lighter version of the same color so you have the same effect but it's not so intense.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

II think it might work. Here's my thought process....(remember I love that agave)
    The agave is a strong/statment color. So is the turquoise in the dining room. I'm not sure if two different strong colors in two rooms that open up to each other is the best idea. If the dining room and living room were separated by a center hallway, for example, then things might be different. In my house the Wasabi is in the living room, this room is open to the family room which is a neutral gray, same with the foyer. So, Wasabi is a stand alone color in that area...no competition.

So, I would either try that agave in there, or else go with something that works with the agave...look at the Affinity colors. They were designed for the "open floor plans" so that when your eye sees multiple colors in the home they will automatically "work" together.

Another idea, I don't see a photo of what you see from the living room looking in the dining room. But, would painting just that far wall in agave and the others in some sort of neutral color work? I'm not a fan of "accent walls" unless there is something to accent. So, if you have a big piece of art in there on that wall, (like the one in the living roomJ) that would also bring the rooms together. Also, if you decide Not to go for the green, and do some other neutral color, you can bring that agave in and tie the rooms together through window treatments, table cloths, etc. Just a thought.

So, if you want more "flow visually", then yes go for the agave.

I think that two strong personalities in the same space might work out better if one of them submits and rolls over.

PS-I've been loving your photos of the rooms lately!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I like the agave but I have a room similar to your dining room that reminds me of a cave also. No windows in the room.

I think the agave will still keep the DR on the dark side. I would go with a lighter color to brighten the room.

Don't laugh but I think a shade of white would be pretty!

• Kristi
    12 years ago

My response is based on nothing but my own taste and trying to figure out what I'd do if this were my house.

I absolutely LOVE the feel of your home and I would leave the colors as they are...I absolutely love the Turquoise (can you share the exact color please?) and the Agave on their own and together. Your art and accessories provide most of the flow, IMO, and the colors are very complimentary. I think as much as you clearly love color, you might tire of the Agave in both rooms...

No matter what you choose, GREAT JOB on your house:)

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

It seems a soft green on all the walls may not have been enough color for you. I saw a house all painted in one color but the color looked great in every room - the house had a ton of light and the color was a brownish light pink that went with everything. I don't think most peoples houses are like that where the light is so consistent in every space. My first instinct would be to go with a different green because your lighting is a lot different in there. That is if I was going to do green - will you get tired of all green tones?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd try out a nice yellow in the DR. It would help bridge the 2 greens. If not, go with a shade or 2 lighter than your current color to help lighten visually. The turquoise looks really nice and esp when seen near the agave to me, but if it looks too dark in reality, then lighten it up.
    You could also try an aqua tone but make sure it is sympatico with the kitchen's green.
    I don't think the kitchen's green will look very good next to the agave, so you need something to bridge the middle between them.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I love the turquoise & the way it, as well as the agave, plays off your artwork...but I can see how that room could feel dark. I like the idea of yellow, something strong enough to stand up to the agave but with a brighter feel. Maybe Honeymoon or Hawthorne Yellow? Yellow also strikes me as a happy meeting place between Mexican & cottage, and might keep you from getting sick of green.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

Me personally, I would not do the agave. Like someone said, it would be too much of a good thing. I would get sick of everything green.

Although, whenver I paint a new color and love it--I also want to do more rooms that color. But when I ended up with half my house yellow and then got sick of yellow--I had to change everything. I don't think i would get sick of a color as quick if it were not everywhere.

I like the turquoise. If you need a change, I would consider a blue--it would complement your pictures. Or yellow--I am now missing all my yellow LOL!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just revisiting this thread to thank everyone for the helpful input! I'm still mulling over what (if anything) to do with the dining room, but won't be rushing into a decision soon. Going to give it some time to be sure of what I really want.

Thanks again!

• dawn25
    12 years ago

Disclaimer: I love green. I have my entire house painted the same shade of green, minus the bedrooms and upstairs bath.

I would definitely change the dining room color to one that will allow your artwork to pop (like the agave). For me, the turquoise competes with the art. I wouldn't pare down the art because that's what makes your home so awesome and unique. Do the agave, or a nice yellow, or anything that will let the art take center stage. I love your home because of the clean lines of the furniture and the deep rich colors. It's almost masculine cottage, if there is such a thing, and it's totally something I'd do.

• User
    12 years ago

My favorite color forever has been pretty much any shade of green. That said I'm thinking I'd use a golden yellow in the dining room that pulls in the colors from the art/mirror frame I see from your close up views from dining room to living room. Just a thought.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm embarrassingly impetuous. I am painting. The dining room. (After saying I was going to wait. Oh boy.)

I'm using BM Warren Acres and loving it. I cannot believe how it's completely transforming the room - opening it up and making it light, bright and so much more airy. Warren Acres plays beautifully against the BM Agave in the living room (well, I knew it would - if I recall, they're next to one another on the color card). I probably will remove a few things from the walls - things I'm not completely in love with - but for the most part, after I finish painting, I think the artwork will remain fairly "heavy" in the room.

I did briefly consider a yellow instead, but that's the color the room originally was when we bought the house, and I just didn't want to back there again. Warren Acres does lean more to the yellow side of green though.

I also can't say enough good things about the BM Aura paint. Two coats of light green is going over that dark turquoise with ease. Wow.

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

I knew you wouldn't wait. :) I can't wait to see it!

• User
    12 years ago

I knew you wouldn't wait too. LOL Sounds pretty though. Hmmm, lets see, considering how long it took you to paint the other rooms, I bet we'll have pictures by ummm, Tuesday. LOL

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know ... I'm such a dork. I am actually beginning to wonder if I'm addicted to paint. (What's Benjamin Moore putting in this stuff, anyway? ;-))

kpkoumentakos - sorry, forgot to answer your question about the turqouise color. It's BM Venezuelan Sea. A beautiful color, just a bit overwhelming to me now. Thanks very much for your kind words.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

LOL Go Jen! How long does it take you to paint a room, anyway? Walls seem like they should go quick...but our modest living room & kitchen took me 10 hours! (well, with a couple breaks and some really anal cutting in) I kept thinking, "Jen must paint faster than this or she wouldn't be doing so many rooms!"

• User
    12 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the new color. I Googled it. It's very pretty.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I think I was a bit too impetuous, because after getting two coats of Warren Acres on two dining rooms, I find that I'm not absolutely loving it the way I thought I did initially. It's lovely during the daytime, but at night, when the room is lit by the chandelier and/or lamplight, it's too soft - almost pastel. Isn't it funny how a color can be just perfect in one room, and not quite right in another? DH is going to the BM store today (I swear, they know us by name now) and picking up a gallon of BM Grasshopper. That is actually the color on the chart that's next to Agave (one up on the card) - not Warren Acres. The dining room definitely needs to be lighter than the living room, because of lighting - but because Grasshopper is not quite so light as Warren Acres and has a bit more "bite" to it, I think it's what I should have used in the first place.
    So here's what we'll have:

Agave in the living room:
    {{!gwi}}
    Grasshopper in the dining room:
    {{!gwi}}
    Warren Acres in the kitchen:
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

(Um, I mean two coats of WA on two dining room walls. It only FEELS like I've been painting two dining rooms ... ;-))

• dawn25
    12 years ago

All of those colors play nicely together, so you can't go wrong. Do you have Grasshopper up yet? I'm anxious to see what you think, and also to see the final project.

• katrina_ellen
    12 years ago

Grasshopper appears to be a grey green with yellow undertones. It seems like it would look nice with your artwork without competing with the artwork. I do love green, it just always feels so refreshing.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have Grasshopper up yet, but hope to get at least one coat on one wall this evening. I really do like my artwork against green, but Warren Acres just wasn't quite right. Perfect in the kitchen with the red woodwork and the more vintage feel I was after in that room, but a bit too "sweet" in the dining room. Oh well ... at least I didn't get the entire room finished before admitting that I was mistaken.

• User
    12 years ago

Well as much as I like the dining room color I don't think I could paint a room with a paint named "grasshopper". Especially not after what they did to our screens.
    {{!gwi}}
    I am looking forward to seeing it on your walls. I'll just pretend it has a different name, okay?

• User
    12 years ago

And yes after a summer with an over abundance of grasshoppers we had a Japanese beetle problem that fall.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Destructive little critters! Did they actually eat through your screens?

• User
    12 years ago

Yes they did Jen. The first year we were here they ate holes in twenty six window screens and some of the door screens. We were sick, but decided since we were having to replace them we'd put in solar screen. It's fiberglass as were the screens they ate, but it's thicker and I guess they can't get their biters around/through them. After five years of it not happening again we thought it was a fluke so when we installed our screened in porch with regular fiberglass screening. Solar screens make the windows look like black holes and we didn't want the whole porch to looks black. You might know that those darn critters ate through that screen so we wound up replacing it with solar screen after all. It doesn't look as bad as we thought since you can see through from one side to the other. You can see how dark our windows look though.

• User
    12 years ago

AJ, sorry the color didn't work out, I do like the new color a tad better though, I'm hopeful it works out for you.

Holy Moly you're house is amazing, Justgotabeme, love it. I didn't know those things eat through screens, we have the beetles where we are, I'll occasionally find one inside, and can't for the life of me figure out how they come in.

• User
    12 years ago

Thank you lukkiirish. It's far from being finished so your complement really means a lot.
    I've drawn up what I want the gingerbread for the gables and for the railing on the porch over the garage, but as you can see neither project has been accomplished yet. We're thinking we'd like to make that porch into a true sleeping/three season porch. My hubby would like shutters too, but we haven't decided on that for sure. I'd rather have Victorian molding around the windows, but not sure you can find it in vinyl for half moon windows. Too many other things are ahead of all those ideas on our very long to-do list.

• User
    12 years ago

Well, it's beautiful, I couldn't tell it wasn't finished. I love all of your ideas, hope you post pics as you finish projects.

I hope you don't mind when I say this, but the things you mention remind me of when Sarah Richardson was going to those yards and finding unique pieces she could incorporate into her house(s), do you know which shows 'm talking about?

• User
    12 years ago

Thank you lukkiirish. I've heard of Sarah Richardson, but have only caught a glimpse of one of her new shows when they were working on a kitchen. I think it was the one called Sarah's House. They were doing painted cabinets so I didn't watch the whole show. I do remember liking her years ago from "Room Service" which I think was on the TLC channel back then.
    I would love to incorporate old items into our home, but my dear hubby isn't so thrilled about it. He is learning that I have a way with making old things look new again since I've started a business of giving old furniture new life. I'm still working on him in hopes we can start going to what he calls the "junk stores" to find things for our home.

• User
    12 years ago

I feel for you, my DH is the same way, fights me tooth and nail, then ends up loving whatever I do. Keep at it, he'll come around. I recently discovered a couple of really sweet consignment stores in our area and am keeping my eyes open for a hutch to paint next.

If you have a chance to record some of Sarah's newer shows, you should, she has a real talent for turning old into new. :c)

• User
    12 years ago

Maybe I just need to buy some stuff myself to use and if he doesn't like it then I can change it to something new. He is impressed with my furniture transformations. That's a start.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Hey Auntjen, have you finished yet? Any pics, or did I miss a new thread?

• User
    12 years ago

Yeah, AJ, it's way past Tuesday, you're late with the pics!

• B H
    12 years ago

BUMP

Auntjen...what did you end up doing?

Inquiring minds want to know!