SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

share your ideas for this part of my DR/LR!

pammyfay
15 years ago

In the combined DR/LR of my townhouse, which I have decorated in a contemporary fashion, I have a wall about 7 feet long that I just haven't found the right look for.

It's not an accent wall; the fireplace wall at the opposite end of the townhouse is the room's accent wall, with a different paint color.

I've used the problematic area as kind of a "landing strip"--on a cheapie black Ikea Lack table, there's a great lucite table lamp I love, some glass-framed photos (I have a lot more of them opposite this wall on a contemporary buffet), sometimes mail goes there, but not a lot of other clutter.

But the lamp and framed photos need to stay. Still looking for the right piece of wall art for the space. The other art on the first floor is 90% photography (framed family pics and a vivid photo of orchid leaves, propped up on the mantel) and 10% other (a piece of interesting fabric of gradations of sea-blue color, blending from white to blue, and a colorful mobile).

Here's the particular space that I'm having a problem with:

{{!gwi}}

You can see that the Lack table sticks out only about 18 inches.

Here's another pic of what's also in that space: the DR table (brushed stainless frame, glass top; DR chairs; glass-top buffet; 2 "slipper" navy upholstered chairs facing the fireplace and LR sofa):

{{!gwi}}

Now, opposite the "problematic" wall is a true console table, but it's only about 42 inches wide. It fits nicely in front of a wall that juts out a bit and that is about 54 inches wide. The table's legs, metal, match an end table at the other end of the sofa:

{{!gwi}}

I just can't decide what to do with this space (in the first photo)! I need some art there, but that will take time. The question is what piece of furniture I can try there--a console-height shallow bookcase? (but i really don't have books i want to put there, or knickknacks) I had originally thought of getting Crate & Barrel's Era console table, a glass-and-brushed steel piece that matches my DR table exactly. (It's even been on craigslist at a good price, but when I saw it, I thought that might be too matchy-matchy.)

Another idea I had a while ago was to ask a handyman or carpenter to craft me a new top for the "real" console table, something longer, and move that to the space.

I just have to be careful that whatever's there doesn't compete with the DR sideboard buffet on the opposite wall (it's very long, it has white frosted glass doors and a frosted glass top. contemporary.)

Please share your ideas for a new look for this space!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County