SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baltra_gw

Small Space. Lower Peninsula? Switch DR(--)LR? No DR?

BalTra
12 years ago

Hello all,

My rowhome is little -- not tiny. But little. And I am short. I'm thinking about ways to tailor the space to my needs.

1)I am considering making the peninsula in my kitchen lower than the wall - side run of countertop. I'm short, 5'2+" and it would feel good to work at a height slightly lower than standard counter height.

Along the wall are my cooktop, sink, DW. Under peninsula is the oven.

Currently the cabinets are leveled to be the same height. Countertop not yet installed.

Peninsula is what divides my kitchen and dining room.

2) My dining and living space are smallish. I am thinking about ways to eliminate the formal (large) dining table and if the peninsula were lower and curved, we could eat there most of the time. I could haul a light weight table out when we have company (?)

Layout of kitchen:

From GardenWebPics

From In Progress Kitchen

The Buffet in the above pic has been moved to under the window. For now . . .

From In Progress Kitchen

From In Progress Kitchen

I remember a post some time back linking to a NYC-style (gorgeous!) space. Square footage was at a premium and so the designer used a few tables as multipurpose for daily use and then to bring together to accommodate dining space for larger gatherings.

My household = me + young kiddo (and loads of Kid Object d'Art). Have 2 - 3 people over at a time several times a week. Monthly or so have more over for meals.

Comfortable, casual meals - nothing fancy.

I've heard the suggestion of moving dining room into the living room, and making the "dining room" into the family room space. Here is full first floor layout before any demo was done.

Ignore the bottom drawing, actual kitchen layout is as above. Note that the door between kitchen and living room no longer exists - the frig is recessed through there now.

From GardenWebPics

Ideas?

Thanks for looking!

BT

Comments (13)