SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexisls

Advice on Light Fixtures for LR/DR

alexisls
12 years ago

So, I've made all the decisions for the kitchen remodel and it's on to planning the next project... The POs felt it was a good idea to put 12, yes twelve, recessed lights in the modest 12x19 living room. Since I have no plans to perform neurosurgery on my coffee table, I need to decide on what to replace them with.

Of course, none of the holes are properly positioned to be re-used - they aren't centered on the ceiling or line up evenly with the fireplace. It makes me want to pull my hair out - how did this seem like a good idea? So, it's more fun to think about light fixtures than all the mess it will be to take out and replaster twelve holes in my ceiling.

What would you do? One fixture in the middle? A pair of smaller ones over the mantle? Something over the sofa and/or reading chair in the corner? Sconces on either side of the fireplace would have made sense until I put my pictures up -- I really like them where they are and don't want to move them. Whatever I do, it should complement what I put in the dining room (which is currently a 80s brass chandelier spray painted purple - another of the POs "great ideas"). The new dining room table will be the Evans Table from Room & Board with a clear glass top.

As far as style, I'm going for Maine cottage meets Santa Fe adobe. I'm thinking something with clean lines and craftsman-ish. I also really like Moravian stars but that might be over the top.

So that's my essay, here are some pictures (I hope these come out right - first time embedding them in a post). These were taken at night, but both rooms get lots of natural light during the day.
{{gwi:1889321}}From Living Room
{{gwi:1889322}}From Living Room
{{gwi:1889323}}From Living Room
{{gwi:1889324}}From Living Room
{{gwi:1889325}}From Living Room
{{gwi:1889326}}From Living Room

Comments (7)