SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Dining room - what would you do?

User
11 years ago

This is a new addition to our house, and most of the building part is finished, just a few details yet.

1. What color paint?

I really dislike the color on the walls. It was supposed to be gray, but is really a greenish color. The ceiling is beadboard. Not what I wanted, I wanted a wider board, but this is what dh bought and primed before I saw it. I will paint it white, along with the trim. Any idea on wall color? The adjoining kitchen will have the same paint. It has the same dark tile and medium dark cabinets, with Kashmir Gold granite and white appliances. Only one small window over the sink there.

2. What chairs with table?

The table stays, at least for awhile. The leaves are out in the photo; it normally doesn't have any blanks under the top. I have a love/hate relationship with it and every time I think about selling it, I talk myself out of it. I have four Windsor chairs that I love and a bench. Dh hates the bench, so it will go as soon as I find something to replace it, but what? More Windsors or something else? The Windsors I have are a medium oak and I wanted to gel finish the back and legs a dark color and leave the seat the light color. Dh thinks chairs take too much abuse for gel stain and thinks we should get them dip stripped and stain the entire chair a dark color to match the table.

3. Window coverings?

On the west side of the room are two 3x5 windows side by side. No porch over them. On the east side is a 3' French door with two 1' side windows. It faces an open courtyard (or it will be a courtyard). What kind of window coverings will block the bright west sun AND work on the French door?

4. What kind of chandelier?

I like the look of real brass with patina, but I really dislike shiny brass, especially brass plate. I've also overspent on the kitchen and have very little left for a light fixture. Home Depot has one on sale for $40 + shipping. I don't hate it, well, except for the shiny brass, but it screams builder grade to me. If I put the bare lightbulb back up for now, what kind of fixture would look good in the space? The leaves expand the table to about 100".

5. Should I add china cabinets or just a picture or two on the back wall?

I could really use a place to put my china. If I put cabinets on the back wall, I would build shallow ones and paint them white, two tall ones with a shorter unit in the center.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks!

Comments (29)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If it were my room, I'd start with fabric....find something for the windows, then pull the colors for the room out of there. If fabric doesn't speak to you, find something else as inspiration....a piece of art, a plate, a picture of a room you like...it can be anything. I redid my old bedroom based on the color of my cat's eyes.... presumably you'd select something that has the gold tone in it maybe as an accent to work with the granite in the kitchen.

I wouldn't necessarily paint the two rooms the same color....it would depend on whether or not you want the rooms to feel integrated as one, or if you want them to be open to each other but feel as if they are separate rooms. Wall color and treatment can do that for you. My family room is open to the kitchen but they are 2 completely different colors so they feel more like separate spaces.

You can go to calico corners and get some fabric inspriation from their collections and in some instances, they show the room decorated in those fabrics.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: See the room....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Re window treatments, I can see a valance with a wooden blind that draws up. Or I can see a duette shade tucked up above a valance. You can do dummy panels on the side if you want, but you may not want to go so heavy on drapery. If the doors face a courtyard that is private, you may not need to treat them at all. I happen to like east light.

The table is nice, but heavy. I can see some upholstered slipper chairs at least on the 2 ends, and maybe some wood chairs with upholstered seats for the sides. To me, the chair that's there looks too delicate for the chunky table. You might consider replacing one or the other down the line, depending on which direction you want to go in.

A china cabinet would be nice, but only if you would use it. Again, I think you need some direction to go in....built ins would be nice and can be more contemporary vs a traditional breakfront...

Take a look at houzz.com and see if there's a room that strikes your fancy....

• Related Discussions

Unused dining room -- what would you do with this space?

Q

Comments (21)
    We have a similar space just inside our front door. We put bookcases, storage cabinets, and a table. Right now my kids (6 and 4) use it as their art room, but it will be the homework room as they get older. I love being able to leave projects out and not have to worry about clearing the table before every meal. And I will love having a computer where I can keep an eye on them when they are older. We have a separate office, but that's mine and DH's space. We wanted a similar "office" type space for the kids. I would also extend the entry wall on the dining room side to match the office side. You can place a bench against one wall and hooks on the other. I would even consider closing off half that opening. That way that room won't be the first thing you see when you come in. I'd also keep the doorway to the kitchen, especially if you are going to be using it as a kid space. Much easier to see them in there. And I'm a fellow Minnesotanite, although I'm from across the river in St. Paul. :) Now I live in a small town in Southern MN.
    ...See More

Old house w/lots of small rooms

Q

Comments (2)
    hi there we have an old house with small rooms. our first floor sounds very much like yours, although our living room is NOT roomy. after living there for four years, our plans for reconfiguring the rooms have changed a lot. we will make one of the small bedrooms (2 on first floor) into a larger den with a closet (potential master bedroom, sort of). this is our tv room. we redid the kitchen and added a separate work area, rather than an eat in area. we are surprised at how well this is working, even though there is no seating in the kitchen. we eat in the dining room, but always have so that was not a factor. the changes that we have made so far that have made the most difference are changing the location of four doorways on the first floor. so the rooms are still small but you walk through them differently. for your small room near the laundry, that sounds like the perfect place for a closet to me. for your office, we have ours in a small upstairs room and the mess of papers is contained. our first floor is much more peaceful and uncluttered because of this. kren
    ...See More

what would you do about this dining room furniture?

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't have a formal dining room, living in a house that is 35 years old, I guess the builder didn't think he should put one in. We have 3 small children so we don't have formal dinners. My space is traditional, with shaker syle cabinets that are cream color on the upper cabinets with a coffee glaze, and the bottom cabinets a light cherry color. I like the look of a rustic table and a crystal chandelier above. I am trying to stay away from the predictable furniture store look, that is what I have always had. I like the unexpected, but I want it to look good.
    ...See More

Would you do 2 windows that are 3 x6 or 1 window 6x6 in Dining Room

Q

Comments (9)
    Something to think about: If you go with the 6 x 6 window, and want it to open and not cost too much, it will probably have to be a sliding window with a vertical mullion up the middle. Or you could get fancy and more expensive with a fixed pane in the middle and single or double hung integrated windows on the sides. You didn't mention if you are getting wood, aluminum, or vinyl windows. If you go with the two 3 x 6 windows, they can be single or double hung with a horizontal mullion. A lot will depend on the style of your house.
    ...See More
  • bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, I would definitely add cabinets across that back wall, and two tall and one short in the middle, as you said, to give you a serving surface.
    I'd run the cabinets to the ceiling, and add a little trim to tie them in.

I'd also consider using stained and varnished wood that's close to the tone of your table for the serving surface.

I'd also put doors on the lower parts, up to the level of the serving surface, which should be higher than your table height. 34" is quite comfortable without throwing off the proportion of the space. Too annoying to clean low open shelves, and too vulnerable to potential damage for your things in the lower bits.

If you do that, either have an electrician move your plugs up to the wall just above the serving surface height, and at the far right and left of that space, OR cut grommets in the sides of the cabinets, and in the back corners of the serving surface, so that you can run an extension cord, and plug in a pair of lamps, and warming plates or a coffee pot when you need them.

And hang a really big mirror over the serving surface. It will open the wall, add a bit of sparkle, and reflect the light back into the room.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

My vote would be "No" to the Home Depot light fixture. Yes, it screams builder grade, and you can pick one up really cheap at your local Habitat for Humanity resale store. Or craigslist. Even spray painting it won't change the style. I would go without a light fixture (or a $1.75 light bulb holder) until I found something l liked and could afford.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Another vote for building the cabinets along the back wall -- and a BIG vote to move the electrical switches to more useful places -- as brownwyn wisely siggests above!!

I love the table -- and perhaps add a couple of comfy upholstered arm chairs -- one at each end?

And then add a large sisal rug on the floor -- and lined dark woven shades on the window and door.

Here is a link that might be useful: bellacor -- possible chandelier

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Agree with graywings about the light fixture, but look around. The one teacats posted is pretty, but pricey!
    On sale, a lantern or simple wrought iron could be under two hundred.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I was in an antique store recently, not "fine" antiques, more vintage junk with a mix of interesting pieces, in a town heavy with antique stores. There was an abundance of beautiful brass chandeliers, since brass is still seen as outdated around here, very reasonably priced - $75-$150. If you don't find something at Habitat, check out some antique or "junque" stores if there are any near you.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, I think you hit squarely on the head the main reason I don't like the table. It's chunky, and the chairs look too delicate next to it. Also, I think the look of it is too heavy for my space. I think a simple farm table would be better. That's what I'd like to build, when I have time. But for now, this one will have to do, especially since we are having Christmas at my house this year.

I had also thought of a duette shade. The back door is between the refrigerator and the dining room, and it has a pleated shade, but a single layer.

graywings, I never think of a Habitat store. I think it might be worth a trip to the city to see what they have. I check craig's list all the time and haven't found one I like.

I like the chandelier teacats linked, but it is too expensive for me right now. I like the style of the Home Depot a little more, at least I like the graceful curves of it. Not wild about the big bulb at the bottom or the flat connection on top next to the chain. Or the shiny brass. I like the aged brass look.

This was my inspiration picture. I don't know if those chairs are bulkier than mine, or if there are just more of them that makes the difference. But you can see in this picture the problem that I have with the table, and everyone with a table like this has. There is no room at the ends to really sit - the end doesn't extend far enough. Also, with my table, the chairs on the sides have to straddle the table legs and the people who sit there have to deal with that. The inspiration picture shows a longer table but the chairs on the ends still straddle the legs.

[Traditional Dining Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by New York Architect Crisp Architects

bronwynsmom, those are good ideas about the cabinets. Dh wants a tv on the wall between the cabinets, and if we do that, I'd like one that raises from the cabinet so it's not there when we have company for dinner.

bumblebeez, I like the lanterns too, and can see a double lantern there. But it would have to be from a single base or dh would disown me. The ceiling is finished and the hole for the light fixgture is in the center.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea olychick. I'll look there too.

The brass chandeliers I've seen on craigslist are generally in sad shape.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What do you think of this chandelier?Too big?My ceilings are 8'.

{{!gwi}}

Or this one? The CL listing says it is wrought iron but it doesn't look like it to me.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 14:00

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I like the second one. It looks like wrought iron, but a little lighter color...could be the photo. Do you notice you have wrought iron in your inspiration picture? And I think it would look great with your floors, too.

Also, another vote for china storage on the back wall. We have a small dining room (office now) but bookcases on the back wall made it feel larger, rather than smaller. I guess it gave the room more depth. Very nice, as long as we kept it organzied and not too cluttered :)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know the one in my inspiration picture is dark, but I don't like it. Reminds me of a black widow spider for some reason. lol

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

I third (or 4th?) the built ins. It will give such a beautiful, custom look.

I also think that AnnieD is right- finding some fabric you love will help you focus on the feel you want for the room. Even if you don't use the fabric now or next year, that fabric will help guide the design decisions for the rest of the room.

And definitely at least two fabric chairs to soften the table's wood lines.

Finally- the fabric will help you choose paint.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just saw another chandelier on CL.
    {{!gwi}}

I like it but I think I like the darker one - #2 in my post above.

I also have some fabric. I'll find it and take a photo of it in the room.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I like the chunkiness of that last chandelier, you could always spray it orb or black and add drum shades if you like shades.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I don't like the one from HD. especially don't buy one because you 'don't hate it'! Wait til you find one you do like. My DR area has a cheap brass and glass one just hanging from the ceiling by its wires. It'll stay until I find one I like - it hasn't been a priority with me tho. The room is only used right now to house a 2nd dw, planks of flooring and other misc construction type things.

I like the 2nd one you pic'd the best. Are there any 2nd hand / antique stores in your area? I'd be looking there for a light fixture.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've put the chandelier on hold for the time being. I'm losing enough sleep over all the other stuff that has to be done before Christmas.

I bought another table yesterday listed on craigslist. I know it goes with my chairs because I have another table just like it, except mine is solid wood. Mine has a solid top though and I bought upholstered swivel chairs to go with it last year so we can use it as a game table in the den. I am attached to the chairs and would rather give up the old table than my chairs. So I bought this table.

It is this style
    {{!gwi}}
    but the top is in pretty rough shape. I'm trying a faux on it right now and if that doesn't work, I'll paint it. And I'm going to paint the base either way. I'd like the base to be something in the blue range, and don't know whether to match a color (or go a shade darker or lighter), or contrast. I don't want it to be navy blue.

Here's the fabric I have on hand. It was given to me, and while I like navy blue and neutrals, I was thinking of going with a gray/blue or marine blue in here.
    {{!gwi}}

I perused a drapery fabric website, and these are the colors I'm drawn to, and in this order.
    Capshaw Marine
    {{!gwi}}

EastonMineral
    {{!gwi}}

Barone Blue
    {{!gwi}}

Any thoughts?

• jenniferPA
    11 years ago

I will give you my thoughts on the fabrics...all pretty, but the first two might be a bit limiting as far as color schemes for this room? I have a similar fabric in color in my MBR with SW "Rainwashed" (blue/green) color walls, and I really like it...but I find I have to stick with similar or neutral colors for all the other decor in there. The third one is gorgeous, just love it. The tan or blue similar to the background would be so nice for the wall color. Also picturing the room with white built-ins on the back wall as desribed by others, and a big mirror over the middle section. Very nice room!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the 3rd one too but I wonder how it will look with all the gold in my granite and brick in the living room (if I put it in there too). But you're right, there are more choices with it, and I could paint the table base in an off white instead of a color too.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Would it look really odd to have cellular shades on all the windows and a valance in that fabric only on the window across from the patio door?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

What about this chandelier? Or something from overstock.com

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

• madeyna
    11 years ago

That would valance would work, just hang it above on all the windows including the door. I did that in my last house because of 7 foot ceilings and a nice side effect was it made the room seem taller.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nosoccermom, I love that chandelier! I didn't want to register, so I couldn't see around the popup box. How much is it?

madeyna, I ran into a snag today. I can't put any WT on the door windows or the doors won't open all the way, and if they don't open all the way, we won't be able to get between them and the table. So I either have to have no WT on that side, or put curtains on a rod above the door. I really don't want curtains to the floor in there, so I don't know what to do now.

• sumac
    11 years ago

I know you said you didn't want navy, but I think a navy base on your wood table would look great. It would play well with your third fabric choice which is
    b-e-a-t-i-f-u-l. Classic and timeless.
    I like the second light fixture the best.
    I also love your WT ideas and think they will work well with your lovely room.

• madeyna
    11 years ago

I was talking about hanging the valance high above the door the curtains(if you choose to have them) would hang to the side of the door so they could be closed but are completely pulled to the side most of the time to stay out of the way of the door. My main house door is a french door and that works really well for that high traffic door. The bottom of the valance would almost touch the ceiling on the top and almost touch the top of the door on the bottom of the valance. I,ll dig around and see if I have a pic of my old living room

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sumac, the top on the table is now a dark brown. That's why I didn't want to do the base in navy. I could do it in the lighter gray blue though. I wanted to do a jewel tone blue/green but I went to every fabric store in Dallas yesterday and didn't find anything that would work. I guess that color just isn't that popular. I could order fabric but I wanted to have it in hand before I bought paint.

If I use the fabric I have here, I could do the base in that green color, but I'd rather go with a bluish color.

madeyna, I get it now. I saw some photos like that on houzz. This is a very informal dining room and I just can't see curtains in it. But I'd like to see your photo, maybe I'm just having a mental image that curtains are too formal.

I have a bamboo Roman shade from Home D and I measured it this morning. The top rail on it is narrow enough that I could put those on the doors and side lights IF I could find them in the right size. That's also a problem as the shades need to be about 12" wide.

Last question for today and then I'm going back to painting the ceiling (ugh). In the dining room, can you see bamboo shades (they come in shades of brown) or a fabric shade in a lighter color?

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 12:16

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Hemingway Chandelier
    It's $279.95, supposedly regular price is $797.00. Sale ends in 22 hours, but it's NOT returnable. It actually looks like a good deal because when I googled Hemingway Chandelier, I also found it on Overstock for 323.00 and for 352.00 on Amazon (a third store sells it for 638.00)
    The full name on Amazon is:
    "AF Lighting 6736-6H Antique Gold Candice Olson Hemingway Candice Olson "Hemingway" Six-Light Chandelier with Linen Soft-Back Shades, Finished in Antique Gold"

Decscription from Joss and Main:
    "Illuminate your dining room, den, or master suite in elegant style with the Hemingway Chandelier, showcasing a scrolling silhouette for opulent flair.

Product: 6 Light chandelier
    Construction Material: Metal and linen
    Finish: Antique gold and black
    Accommodates: (6) 60 Watt candelabra base bulbs - not included
    Size: 31.5" H x 30" Diameter
    Cleaning and Care: Wipe with a damp cloth
    Shipping: This item ships small parcel
    Expected Arrival Date: Between 12/20/2012 and 12/28/2012
    Return Policy: This item is final sale and cannot be returned"

Now, there's a 15.00 referral credit, so you could have your husband sign up and refer you.

Moreover, I think Overstock has a price match guarantee. Call 1-800-843-2446.

Also, check out this chandeliers below, especially the soft gold ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olsen chandeliers

• madeyna
    11 years ago

The type of valance you like isn,t fussy and would lend itself to the no curtain look really well. I sorry I couldn,t find a pic on this computer of my old livingroom. I think you could always just buy a little extra fabric when you do the other windows so the option would still be there without changing everything out. If you choose to do the insp. pic look you posted the rods would really change the look . Those old fashioned white rods that bend out from the wall would allow the fabric to wrap around the rod and totally hide the shade and a rod sits out on a hook that hangs out from the wall with a fenial on the end would not hide it from the sideview. Either would look nice it just depends on what you like. Sorry I cann,t think of the names of the rods . I seem to be having one of those days. I think the bamboo would look really nice with the colors and textures your looking at. Have fun painting that ceiling that one thing I absolutly hate doing . Maybe treat your self to something yummy afterwards:)