SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenacresali

200 year old house-Plaster walls-Kitchen cabints

GreenAcresAli
12 years ago

Hello! I have been coming to this site frequently over the last few months trying to get as much info as possible for my kitchen remodeling project. We are not doing it ourselves. We had an architect design the project and he recommended a GC that we are very happy with so far.

Unfortunately we are in the midst of cabinet chaos. We picked beaded inset cabinets and got quotes for Legacy, Dynasty and Birchcraft cabinets. Decided on the Birchcraft semi custom which they call Berkshire by Birchcraft. From what I can figure out these are Conestoga Cabinets and Birchcraft does the finishing.

Thought we were ready to have then ordered and then the ^(*&^(^& hit the fan. First, kitchen designer was fired from cabinet store. The new person had no experience with a a job quite like ours. Turns out because of our 18" stone walls that are plastered the gc was going to put up furring strips for hanging the cabinets. This would leave about a 1 3/4" gap between the cabinets and the wall on all of the exposed end cabinets. He asked them to have the end pieces on those cabinet made 1 3/4" longer to allow for this and we were told that would mean all those cabinets would now have to be custom raising our pricing through the roof.

The GC thinks this is ridiculous and has suggested I start at square one on getting new bids for the cabinets. That maybe the best idea but the original store had promised a rush job at no charge to us because of the delays caused by them firing the designer. One other option proposed by GC was to get unfinished ends and then he would fabricate beadboard ends that would match the beadboard that was going to be on 3 sides of the island. That sounded great however it did not cut the cabinet quote by much and would mean adding the price of his work and the cost of the beadboard.

Long story short question- Do you have cabinets that were hung on furring strips and what did you do on the open ended cabinets to hide the gap?

Comments (10)