SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trooper4985

170+ year old farm house

trooper4985
17 years ago

I'm hopefully soon to be the owner of my grandparents house (and 50+ acres) that was built by my great great grandmothers family in the 1830's (after a short stay in Dutchess Co., NY straight off the boat from Scotland).

The house is overlapping plank construction from what I've been told. There is no insulation in the walls but it seems to be very efficient... easy (inexpensive) to heat (LP boiler/hotwater baseboard) in the winter and doesn't get hot in the summer. The basement is field stone walls and dirt floors.

The first floor was redone in the mid 50's (I think) with sheetrock and the second floor walls are some brown fiberous material. The electrical is all two prong ungrounded and the plumbing/septic does not meet code.... the only thing that empties to the septic tank is the bathroom... the kitchen, two utility sinks and washer empty into the yard.

The house is approx 3700 sqft - 6 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen, formal dinning room, parlor, rec-room with operational fireplace, and approximately 500 sqft storage area over the 1 car garage and a crawlspace attic.

I plan to have the interior gutted saving very little (fieldstone heart and all original hardwood floors), and updated wireing and plumbing, new windows (about 30), new doors, sheetrock, paint etc. The cost of new appliances, woodburning boiler, furniture, etc not included.

Anyone have any ideas of an approximate cost of this project that I can go by so I know if contractors are giving me reasonable estimates. This is going to be in the 14904 area code for COL refrence.

Comments (19)