SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah80_gw

might build a home on old horse farm - lawn planting questions...

Sarah80
10 years ago

My husband and I recently looked at a lot for sale in Central Ohio. It's a former horse pasture that was subdivided - the lot we're looking at is 4.3 acres. While we just bought a home recently, the layout of this land is so beautiful we're giving it some serious thought to building our dream home there.

Anyway, here's the situation. Right now, the land is abandoned pasture - per the realtor the horses have been gone for several years. It's mostly overgrown pasture grass (I'm guessing K31 Tall Fescue) & some scattered weeds, tree saplings, etc.

I'm also concerned about compacted soil from years of horse hooves and the damage they do.

So, starting off, after the house is done, what's the best way to go about it? Should we just hire a local farmer to come in with his cultivator and just turn it all over as-is, or would we be better off to Roundup the entire thing (4 acres is a lot to do!)

The whole thing won't be lawn - part of it I might just do some native groundcover, but my husband wants lawn at least in the front for "curb appeal" haha.

How would you lawn warriors go about this? Also, if any of the little trees turn out to be worth saving, is there a rule of thumb on how far from the tree we need to keep any tillage equipment to not damage roots?

Comments (4)