SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_264177317

100 year old house, trying to make layout functional and within budget

Katie
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, my husband and I just bought a foreclosure that is in a great location. We didn't get to see it before we closed (nature of foreclosures!) and I was a bit shellshocked when I first got to. There was no flow to the house and the major rooms like the kitchen were closed off. There is a giant foyer that wastes a fair amount of space because the homes around here were built with two front doors.

Our biggest goal is resale. We want to make 4 bedrooms, keep the 2.5 baths. We do not want to change the footprint. We have lots of ideas but keep getting stymied by layout. We are trying to create as much living space as possible without chunking off rooms.

Currently, here is where we are with plans. I don't like the shub in the master bath - I'm ok not having a tub downstairs. The master closet also doesn't reflect the actual layout because there is a pipe going to the second floor that cuts into that space. We are pushing back the kitchen walls by 2 feet to add a wall of cabinets/a beverage nook so that also narrows the closet space. I also don't like that weird chunk of laundry in the space we'd like to use for living/dining.

What about:

*turning the L staircase into a U (having it turn 180 degrees - see inspo pic below) and using that 9'x6' space as utility/mudroom/powder room (thinking 3x6 then 6x6)

*there is a large almost floor length window in the master bath (see picture below). We can fit a 4x5' shower to the left of it but then there's just dead space before the toilet. That's why I had thought we could add a tub lengthwise but our architect said too crowded (see pinterest inspo pic)

*alternatively, could leave the original powder room as it is. that would shrink the master closet to 7.5'x5'. We could always do "his and hers" closets with that first WIC entering from the master bedroom and the second WIC through the master bath

We tried laundry in master closet, laundry shared with powder, laundry in closet off of master bath. Those were all shot down for convenience of access and consideration for guests.

Basically, I am trying to make a master suite, powder room, and laundry space as attractive to buyers as can be in 3-5 years. We are in the south.

Dimensions currently:

What will be the master bath: 9' wide by 11' long

Current Powder room: 3' wide by 6' long

back living space: 19' wide by 25' long

kitchen with bump: 14' wide by 12' long

master bedroom: 13' wide by 15' long

I would love some help!! Thanks so much

Comments (15)