SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimandanne_mi

Oriental rug colors for adjacent rugs/rooms--blue & black?

jimandanne_mi
15 years ago

We have been going nuts lugging home 6x9 rugs and trying them out in the SW end of our living room. Due to our lack of decorating knowledge, we made some color decisions when building our home that are coming back to haunt us.

The white oak floor is stained a medium light color that reads as orange when we put some rugs on it. The 9'h x 6'w fireplace wall is of green multicolor Indian slate that changes from a soft mostly green/some gray in bright sunlight to olive on overcast days or at night. The walls are painted a soft taupe leaning toward pink that looks great with the FP slate.

The 9x12 rug in the NW end of the LR in front of the FP is the main problem and we cannot afford to replace it now, although we'd like to move it to the large kitchen eating area and buy a new one for the LR if the economy recovers before we're too old to care! It's got a cream background, about 10 different shades of green in the leaf and flower transitional design along with some henna and some tannish brown stems, a henna border with the various shades of green leaves, and a little greenish gold. It looks great with the FP wall at night, but on a sunny day looks like a total mismatch. It looked great in my old house, but doesn't look great with the present floor described above.

We recently got an 8x10 oriental for the adjacent but separate dining room that has a beautiful medium to dark blue background and a goldish tan border with some green and henna. It looks gorgeous with the floor color.

So, back to the 6x9 for the end of the LR. We can't get the greens to work. We found one rug with cream, henna, and some green that looks great with the 9x12 and the mahogany furniture that will go in this end of the room, but now there would be 2 rugs that wouldn't look good with the floor! We found a rug with a black background, and gorgeous colors in the pattern on it and in the border which have greens, henna, tans, etc. It looks great with the floor and FP wall. Obviously, it's quite a contrast to the 9x12 cream/henna/varied green rug, but nothing much looks good with it anyway. The days have been overcast, so we won't know how any of them look in the sun until maybe tomorrow afternoon. The black looks like velvet at night.

We're trying to decide if we should just get the rug we like the most--the mostly black one with the other gorgeous colors which will be mostly hidden behind the sofa from the hall/LR and kitchen eating doors but will be obvious from the dining room. I'm very unsure as to whether the black and blue in adjacent rooms are a good idea. We'd live with the imbalance maybe forever, but there's an outside chance we would be able to ultimately replace the 9x12, so maybe whatever we choose for that would work ok with the black in the same room and the blue in the DR? I can't remember seeing a predominantly black rug with a predominantly blue one, so is this not done with orientals? Should we just balance the room now when choosing the 6x9 even if both rugs don't look good with the floor?

BTW, we need to have decided by this Sunday, when we'll be using it under a round table where 6 people will be eating. I'd greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me to help me decide.

Anne

Comments (9)