SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethdeth

Advice on choosing an oriental rug for master bedroom

bethdeth
5 years ago

My husband and I have been living with the results of a bad experience with an interior decorator for several years. It was our first time hiring a decorator and our aesthetics did not mesh, particularly in what she chose for our bedroom. What we had: a pair of traditional, campaign style nightstands, an oriental rug with tones of maroon, gold and teal, and a ship's half hull that we wanted to hang over the bed. To go with those items she gave us: a super modern teal bed, an art deco crazy print bedspread and mirror, black bedside lamps and lavender walls. Pretty stuff...for someone else's room. For our room it was a cracked out mess. I remember when the decorator was there towards the end hanging the artwork and I was like, "Um, I'm not sure this stuff really works together..." and she was like, "Sure it does!" Well, no, it didn't. But at the time I figured I should trust the professional. Lesson learned.

So fast forward and we finally have enough money to scrap the bedroom and start over. We are keeping the nightstands, the half hull, the sheets on our bed and the black bedside lamps. Planning on getting a new bed, duvet cover/pillows, mirror, dresser, paint and window treatments. We got rid of the original oriental rug a while back. Now I'm looking for a new one that complements what we have, and figure I'll build a traditional bed with neutral bedding around it. I'm looking for suggestions on the best tones for the rug. I'd love something with warmer tones (definitely some gold) that also complements the teal/green background in the half hull. Pictures are attached and I would appreciate recommendations!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm