SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmm6797

Any help for cupping wood floors?

cmm6797
12 years ago

Our new red oak floors were installed, stained and polyurethaned and looked great. Kitchen cabinets and counters were installed and during that time the floors were covered. Finally when the paper came off the floor and everything was cleaned up we noticed that the floors were slightly higher where the boards meet. Based on internet research, I guess that's called cupping.

When I brought it to our contractor's attention he said he didn't know why the floors were like that and didn't know if they would get worse. I showed it to the man who refinished the floor and he said it was due to the high humidity and would get better when it's less humid.

So our question is, is It possible that the floors can get better (ie level out completely)? Is it likely they will get worse? Right now you can't really see that they are slightly raised where the boards meet each other but you can feel it. If you walk on them with bare feet it just feels like they're not totally flat.

I keep trying to put this issue out of my mind because it stresses me out so much. It seems like a very difficult fix. I can't imagine how to fix this without ripping out the entire floor. If anyone has had this happen in their house, please let me know how it was resolved. Thank you!

Comments (14)