SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiecrooks

Cupping in wood floors less than 2 months old

katiecrooks
7 years ago

Hi folks,

First time poster here. We replaced the flooring in our entire first level with 2-1/4 inch red oak back in May. For a couple of weeks now, I've noticed what I've now learned as the wood cupping in one room of the house. That room is above a crawlspace, which the wood floor installer knew before going into it. I've also learned that the installer should hopefully have taken all sorts of moisture readings before the installation, etc. He is coming out again on Thursday to take a look at it.

I trust our installer, I really do. He's an upstanding guy, came highly recommended, and is part of all these wood floors groups and has all these industry certifications. I am hoping and trusting that he'll do the right thing by us. But I just want to be prepared with all the knowledge I can.

So I guess my questions are: a) shouldn't our installer known about and addressed this potential from the beginning, before he started the project? b) from the photos, do you think the cupping is bad and out of the ordinary? (Some places I've read say that a certain amount of cupping is normal in areas with high humidity (we are in Omaha, NE, so solid heat and humidity.) c) Will it go back to normal when the humidity goes down? d) Will we have to do some $$ work to the crawlspace? (Not one bit prepared to do this and will be upset if we do.)

I know these questions probably can't be solved, but I'm just really down in the dumps about it. We waited years and years to replace the floors, waited until we could pay cash for the whole thing, and this room especially was a sort of "splurge" that we decided on later and wasn't a part of the original plan. We also had a surprise expense with a part of the floor in the kitchen. So all of this is to say that we spent literally twice what we had originally budgeted for, which is a really big deal to us, and now the floor seems defective and bugs the crap our of me every time I walk into that room. I'm just really hoping our floors guy will do the right thing and help us fix it and we won't have to spend any more money than what we already have.

Photos are attached. Please ignore the cute Brittany photobomb. ;)

Thanks,KS

Comments (9)