SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

OT: thinking outside the box for mud room.

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

We have the world's oddest house in regards to layout. It is a high rancher but the front rather than the rear is exposed. The cedar deck on the rear of our home runs almost the entire length of our home with French doors from the living room and library that open onto it.

DH's garages are behind and off to the side of our home and he always uses the French doors in the library to enter the house. Because of this my library constantly has a huge assortment of his shoes, coats, boots etc. cluttering the room. I have a bench that he could stow things in but he isn't very neat and the items end up scattered.

I keep trying to envision how to solve the issue when an idea hit me. We have a walk in closet in our living room that is four and a half feet by eight and a half feet. We use it basically for over flow and storing our winter coats. Because it is to the back of the room we could put a door from the deck into the closet. There would be enough space for the bench, shallow shelves along the short end for hats, gloves and scarfs and peg hooks along the one long side so he could hang his coats etc. We talked about it and neither of us can come up with a downside to it. Though I would much rather have the space be wider than fifty four inches it would keep his clutter enclosed and we would be making better use of an existing space rather than adding a whole other room.

Please tell me your thoughts. Do you think this would work? Also please give me your thoughts about possible downsides. We would have the door swing out onto the deck just like our French doors do.

Comments (8)