SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Cabinets color 'emergency!' Must decide tonight! :-o

theresse
13 years ago

I had no idea my contractor was going to be giving me so little notice but the cabinet doors company includes painting in their service and he wants to order them ASAP as well as start painting the facing.

WHITE? CREAM? SPLIT BOTTOM/TOP? Tisk tisk at me for thinking it was the last thing I'd have to worry about!

My upper original 1913 cabinets (in my 11x12' North-facing kitchen) are painted white but that can change (as can the trim in the room...the wall paint will become something different too). The new lower cab doors will be inset shaker style with latches and some flat drawer fronts & bin pulls. The countertop will be stainless, and then there's a white Shaws farm sink and there will be white honed calacatta marble 2x6" subway tile backsplash. So a lot of white (a little contrast could be nice?).

If I had specific product names, I could do something different on the bottom cabs only...like some sort of french or peacock blue (?) and then w/ cream cabs above and then maybe some sort of green on the walls? Like apple green maybe? But there's probably too little time unless one or more of you pushes me straight toward a great color!

I've started hunting online and I'm liking the idea of either changing the cabinets all to a cream color, including the trim or else making the trim white (sort of hard though as my cabs and molding/trim all blend together)...or else I keep it all bright white as it is now (but re-paint for freshness) - in which case I'd maybe need a punchier color for the walls (?).

Or does such a small, dark kitchen simply require bright white cabs? Are cream cabinets too over-done/ubiquitous? As if white ones aren't - haha.

The creams that so far *seem* nice are french vanilla by Benjamin Moore like Buffalotina did here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0713235130696.html?25228&pp_user=theresse&pp_ticket=ivB6rt5mNYNuk

Is that too yellow or dark for my cabs?

I keep reading lots of positive comments about BM's "mayonnaise" as well. It's been hard to find pics online (hint hint) - especially of cabinets - but here are a couple that show it on the walls:

http://gallery.apartmenttherapy.com/photo/041008kyletour/item/27176

and:

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/nursery-colors-2007-entries/12-henrys-multihued-hideaway-035250

I also think BM's Navajo White could be nice - although I can't find any pics using it so far...

Any thoughts??! I'm scrolling through as many old threads as I can, so please don't think I'm being lazy! ;)

I'll include some pics of the kitchen in-progress, below (there will be new light fixtures, FYI. The cabs there are Miller Paint's "White white" though it's hard to see that they're white from a couple of those photos). Then I'll run down, eat dinner, take a pic of the kitchen w/ the new faces if that helps (no doors yet), then post that later tonight.

The obsession continues... Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen in progress...

Comments (9)