SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

Is this too much green?

stu2900
16 years ago

I'm trying to find the right bedding for a guest room. I'd like to stay with a matelasse, coverlet, or quilt and have a very soft look. Nothing too country, more early 1900"s. The paint is SW Ancient Marble, which I love, and I love the soft look of the curtains against it. I tried a white matelasse, but it just looked too stark. I like the green one, but feel something's missing, or maybe it's too much green. I'm looking for opinions or suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (37)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I would go with the white one and fold the green one at the foot of the bed and use 2 sets of shams, one white and one green.

• debb
    16 years ago

I think Patricia's idea would work. If you did something with the green one, I would fold the coverlet and sheet down so that you see a white strip of sheets in front of the shams - about 12", and add a folded coverlet (white if using the green bedspread), at the end of the bed. Try that and see what you think.

• Related Discussions

Too much green and not enough brown

Q

Comments (7)
    Grass clippings have a Carbon to Nitrogen ratio of around 12:1 which means they can be digested pretty fast which means the bacteria digesting them can generate a lot of heat which can "cook" those "weed" seeds. Many years ago when I still believed that grass clippings needed to be picked up I noticed that they would start producing heat very quickly, often while still in the catcher bag on the mower. Just be careful where you pile up those grass clippings since they can generate enough heat to spontaneously combust, and the gases generated as they are digested will displace the oxygen you need in enclosed places. People have died from asphyxiation where grass clippings have been piled up in enclosed spaces.
    ...See More

1/2 price Hosta's - now too much green

Q

Comments (10)
    There are yellow hostas that will brighten a shady corner. I have had better luck with my hostas in containers. Something--either a critter or a fungus was getting the roots. You might also consider the lime Elephant Ears. Begonias in a pot will soldier through the heat. Something always eats them when I leave them in the ground. Here is a shot of a small corner of my garden. The big yellow hosta on the left is Squash Casserole. It hasn't been through a hot summer yet, but I sure do like it.
    ...See More

Too much green???

Q

Comments (3)
    Oh, you poor thing. Been there done that and yeah, my DH thinks I'm nuts. I'll agonize over the too peachy or too gray undertones of a taupe, I'll ask his opinion (which is useless and we both know it because his eye doesn't see what mine does, but it's a ritual dance we do anyway.) And he'll say 'It's beige. I just see beige. Stop driving your self crazy and pick one, already!' But, he doesn't get it. For those of us who are greatly impacted by color (and there are those of us here who could form a 12 step group), it matters! I'm of the camp that tends to think the right green can be a neutral. Depends on the green and other elements in the house (to me, anyway). Do you have any photos?
    ...See More

Too much blue/green/gray in the house??

Q

Comments (4)
    LOL! My friend who majored in design building about three months ago can't remember half her colors. I can tell her my colors PLUS about 75 I DIDN'T choose! When we were looking at whites for the exterior, I could pick up every undertone with no problem whatsoever. She said I missed my calling. LOL! Maybe it will be fine once the furnishings are in the house? It's so hard to tell when things are unfinished. I don't know...
    ...See More
  • les917
    16 years ago

The decorative pillow feels too beige for the white nearby in the table, the bedskirt, etc. I would try to find another decorative pillow with a whiter background or print. I think the coverlet and shams are fine, but I would like to see a throw folded on the end of the bed that has some of the pink tones as all the roses do in the art, lamp, etc. I think it will break up the sea of plain green nicely, in combination with the new decorative pillow.

• ezbake
    16 years ago

I just have to say I love that room JUST the way it is!

• stu2900
    Original Author
    16 years ago

les-what you see as beige is actually a very light green, but I understand what you are saying. I hadn't thought about trying to bring in the rosy color. I tried a burgundy matelasse I stole from another room. Is this what you had in mind? The blue cloth on the table will change as soon as I figure out the rest of the linens. It's been very hard to find floral pillows for this room. Maybe I'm trying to do this at the wrong time of year.

patricia43 and debb-I'm going to try to play around with the white some more.
    ezbake-Thanks for the compliment. This room is somewhat different from the rest of my house, but I love it too. I try to make the lamp the focal point and go from there.

• les917
    16 years ago

I think that is the right idea for a throw, but the wrong color - needs to be a much softer pink, or it overwhelms the green. Kind of the rosy pink in the lamp roses, rather than the deep burgundy.

More like this pink one:

esprit de rose

Maybe this decorative pillow with the roses?

nostalgia breakfast pillow

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I have the same coverlet. I like it, but I find it is kind of a "dead" green without something colorful nearby to add some life.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure about the pink les, but I love the pillow. I think I need to check out that website!

• pahance
    16 years ago

Funny - just a few minutes before sitting down to browse the forum, I was thumbing through the spring issue of BH&G and saw this pretty bedroom which I think is very similar to yours:

Matelasse coverlet, vintage rose prints, soft pastels. Very pretty. (Too bad they had to cut off half of the bed though.) Now, the one in the picture has a patterned quilt w/matching shams, which I think is the ideal choice. If you feel inspired by the pic, I bet you could quite easily find something like this perhaps at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. There is also a mail-order catalog I occasionally get that has a lot of matelasee blankets and pretty quilts, but I'll be darned if I can think of its name at the moment! I'm sure I'll remember after I click SUBMIT MESSAGE. LOL

• DYH
    16 years ago

We have very similar tastes in bedding.

I have SW Grassland on the walls in all of our bedrooms. The ceilings are painted SW Muslin with white trim. Our walls are a bit more sage than Ancient Marble. I use ecru (natural) matelasse coverlets and shams from Lands End. In the master bedroom, I have a muted paisley duvet cover in rose/merlot/natural folded across the foot of the bed. I have dark mahogany furniture and my drapes are ecru/natural.

In the guest room, I have one of my grandmother's patchwork quilts folded across the bottom.

I mixed the matelasse -- paisley and diamond, in the same color. I've been using these for over 5 years. They still look brand new.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: look at the ecru colors

• kim2007
    16 years ago

I love the stronger, darker burgundy throw in there. I'm also thinking of a pillow or some other textile with roses embroidered on it, whether vintage or new.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Continuing to play with this room. I don't have the matelasse in white, only the shams, but this should give an idea of what the white would look like. I think I need to find a floral pillow. Love the one Rosewind shows. So which looks better, the white, or the green?

• les917
    16 years ago

Use the all white items, as in the third pix from the bottom, and try substituting the burgundy throw on the end of the bed instead of the green. I think it will pull out the flowers and the lamp that you want to highlight. Then with a whiter pillow with roses as the accent, you might be set.

I am not crazy about that striped duvet with the bedskirt - maybe you could exchange the green coverlet for a white one and use that instead?

• stu2900
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The striped duvet is only being used to show what all white would look like. If I go this route, I will be getting the white matelasse to match the pillow shams. Again still need an appropriate pillow, but what do you think?

• midwestmom
    16 years ago

You have a very pretty room. I have a similar lamp that my dh's grandmother painted for us. I personally like the green on the bed. I think it would look pretty with soft pink floral pillows and a folded quilt or something at the foot of the bed that matched the pillows, like the picture that rosewind posted. But honestly, I think the room looks very pretty as is, in the very first picture.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I snapped a photo so you can see ecru matelasse in a room with green walls, white trim and a dash of merlot/persimmon. The matelasse coverlet and shams are Lands End; the tapestry/needlepoint pillows and duvet cover are Yves de Lorme (Malines) from about 5 years ago.

Hope this helps.
    Cameron

• indygo
    16 years ago

Lovely, peaceful room. I love it with the white and then the green quilt at the end and green shame in front of the white ones (like the third pic in the last group of pics you posted.)
    Looks great.

• syllabus
    16 years ago

Very pretty room... it reminds me of my much-loved grandmothers guest room. We all wanted to sleep in that room when we visited!

I like the way the red coverlet also brings out the red wood tones in the dresser. And my monitor is making the cord & tassel look like they are the same red.

It would be lovely if you could skirt the table w/ either the same material that the bedskirt is made of or find a couple of companion fabrics that you could use to make the table skirt & a (non)matching pillow.

What is the bedskirt made of? Is it a ready made? It looks like lace... very pretty.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I see you've been busy! I was playing a bit too :) I think it's a perfectly lovely room as-is and love green, so I don't think there's too much at all. I think relaxing the bed a bit, maybe bringing a touch of the blue-green from your inspiration lamp on to it would be a pretty alternate look also. Here are some examples, and hope this helps :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Now Cameron's photo is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw your post a couple of days ago. An Ecru matelasse with some of the russets or persimmons or nutmeg colors thrown in for effect. I love that shot Cameron!

Red

• DYH
    16 years ago

Sjt2900 -- Your guest room looks so welcoming and cozy, no matter which scheme you go for. I'm with Indy on the green shams in front if you use the green matelasse across the foot of the bed.

Red -- what I love about matelasse is how versatile it is. We've stayed with this look (and all these accessories) for 5 years now. I'm still not tired of it. We picked up the YdL bedding when it was discontinued and on sale.

Cameron

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

If you go with the white matelasse, I like the green shams and green on the end of the bed, also. I prefer the green, though :)

• stu2900
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I love this forum! I love the photo from wonbyherwits, and the second and third from squirrel. This might sound silly, but I'd like this room to not be "too" feminine. I know it's probably going to be anyway, but this was DS's room when he lived here, and he visits often, so I don't want too much frou-frou! But, I've ordered several new floral pillows, so we'll see. Here's a question, On the second and third photo from squirrelheaven, there is a large turn-down on the sheets. I love the look, but am I going to be able to achieve that with a regular full sized sheet? (It's a full sized bed).
    The news is that the Thanksgiving guests who were going to occupy this room won't be able to make it, so I have a bit more time to get it done. DS or DD will stay in there, so I don't have to be in such a hurry. They might have to draw straws, because I've turned DD's room into a home office. Whoever loses, gets the Aerobed in the office. Thanks to all!!! I'll post again when the new pillows arrive and see which route I'll take.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Ah ha! In our previous home, our guest room was too frou-frou for our sons (now in grad school). They wouldn't even suggest that their friends stay in it. It was based on white and sage green --- white matelasse, white curtains, white painted iron bed, white painted dressing table, green carpet and green paint on walls (Duron Herbivore). So, when we moved to this house, I spray painted the white iron to bronze, used ecru matelasse, ecru crinkle curtains with bronze rods, and an orange/brown/yellow/green quilt made by my grandmother folded across the bottom. I put mahogany side tables in there and put a coffee glaze on the white dressing table! I empathize with you!

As for our master bedroom in the photo, my DH loves the room. He helped select all the bedding. I already had the furniture before we were married. The botanicals came out of a used book from 1900 that I bought for $5. Put them in pottery barn frames.

A full sheet will turn down just fine. When you make the bed, line it up with the top end of the mattress. Place your coverlet. Fold the two down together.

Have fun! Your room is beautiful. Tell your son that the florals in the painting and lamp are for good fung shui and he'll sleep well in there.

Cameron

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hmm, my post got messed up -- I was looking back over the product list to edit ... This is what was supposed to post!

I've been looking high and low out there! :) The cutwork lace sheets can get pricey, but they are out there, along with some vintage ones. Here are some less exp options, including some Venise lace trim you could apply to plain sheets (there are many great selections!). In the virtual, either another band of solid blue trim beneath the lace or a blue sheet/blanket in the foldback. HTH :)

Domestications Anastasia Lace Sheet Set $50 any size

Target Lace Sheet Set

Venise Lace Trim

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I like the one with the green coverlet folded down at the foot and the two green shams with the 2 white pillows in front. The red is too bold and takes away from the softness of this room.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, playing again. DD is home for the weekend and likes the white and burgundy, but, I'm not sure yet. Squirrel, I haven't played with the green coverlet with the turn down yet and probably won't until after Thanksgiving (which we're hosting and right now the basement family room is a disaster and the adjoining bathroom is not working, but we're working on it,but that's another story) but I still want to see that look before I make a decision. Now, I really don't like any of the pillows, and obviously, the blue table skirt must go and the burgundy skirt will not be with the green coverlets, but, any thoughts about the white/burgundy vs the white/green?

• oceanna
    16 years ago

The blue table skirt is what's bothering me. How about instead of the burgundy coverlet and table skirt, you go for a soft dusty rose with a hint toward peach, or a soft gold? Frankly, I think the first picture is fine -- Zen-like soothing. Looks like a great place to get zzzz's. Maybe do the white coverlet in the summer when it's hot? I think I'd also replace the tan pillow with a white eyelet one.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Ditto, I think I'd do white with red in the summer w/o the dark throw on the end, white with the green in the spring, and green w/ the lace and marine blue turndown in fall and winter ! I like a touch of red/pink on the pillow. With the floral pic and lamp, both about the same scale of pattern, I'd do something a bit different in the pillow. Maybe a stripe with small floral or totally different non-floral pattern.

Beautiful room you're creating!! It has such a nice feel to it. Your guests will feel warm and comfy!

• les917
    16 years ago

I like the last one best - tho the red toile is pretty, I think the roses pillow carries the eye from the art and lamp to the bed.

Be sure whatever you decide that you put the folded edge of the coverlet toward the pillows, and the decorative edge facing the foot of the bed, overhanging the top edge of the matress just a tiny bit.

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Oooh, I love the red toile pillow and red throw, red/white combo on the side table. You have been busy! What a lovely welcoming room for your guests!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Agree that the blue table skirt needs to go.

I like the burgundy accents, and like this pic by sjt but would like to see the green cover on the bed with the burgundy blanket at the foot. Instead of white curtains I'd like an off-white better as they wouldn't be as harsh, same goes for the bed skirt. We had a pretty ecru eyelet set that I just gave away that would look great with your green

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

If you want to continue the roses theme.. which I love btw..

Rose Monogram Pillow

{{!gwi}}

They have all sorts of rose things that may work in the room..

• msrose
    16 years ago

I haven't commented before, because I just couldn't decide if I liked the softness of the all-green room or the splash of color with the burgundy accents. I do have to say that I absolutely love the pillow that roselvr posted and think it would be perfect in there. What if you went with some softer pink accents, like in the pillow, instead of the burgundy?

laurie

• stu2900
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I found this yesterday. It is more ecru than white and obviously I would have to change the bedskirt to probably burgundy, but how does it look with the white curtains? Honestly the look of those curtains against the walls are one of the things I really like about this room. Although, I really haven't tried off-white in there. Maybe I should. For those who've suggested pink, while I appreciate the suggestions, that's just not a color I can go for. Pink just doesn't make me happy. I do like roselvr's pillow though. What do you all think of the newest selection? I know the photo is not as good as some of the others. We're having a gloomy day here.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I think it's beautiful! That's a gorgeous quilted bedcover. I can envision the bedskirt as you mention. If you love the curtains, please don't change them. The ambiance is warm and welcoming.

Cameron

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH