SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dknipe

Fireplace mantle needs a creative touch ( lots of pics)

Sidney4
13 years ago

All,

I've been a long time lurker and sometime poster on GW for years but I spent most of my time on the Building a Home Forum. Now that I am settled in to our new home, I have been spending more time on the Decorators Forum. I'm so impressed with all of your great ideas and hope you can help me as I try to make this house a home.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to decorate my fireplace. Our last house had 8 foot ceilings and small rooms and I can't get used to decorating for large open rooms. Here is my fireplace:

I'm on kind of a tight budget after our build so I'm hoping for ideas that won't require a huge investment. I'm also not into a lot knick knacks.I'm not a minimalist but I do believe less is more. I don't have to stay with the lamps that are currently on the mantle although the extra lighting is nice. If I do stick with these lamps I think there needs to be something around the base that covers up the outlet. I've also been thinking about putting dual planters there . Here are a couple of things I found on Overstock but I have no idea what I would put in them.

The wooden planter is 14 inches wide and 8 inched high. The iron basket is 12 inches high and 18 inches wide. If I go with planters how tall should the foliage be?

I could replace the picture above the fireplace but for now I would really prefer to not have to invest in any more wall art.

If its helpful here is a picture of a pair of lamps I just ordered. I intended to use them on either side of my love seat to the left of the fireplace but I could probably use them on the mantle if that would look good.

I am open to any and all suggestions and some inspiration pics would be helpful also.Thanks so much . I am really looking forward to hearing some of your ideas.

Comments (26)