SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Dining Room Light- does it work

localeater
10 years ago

I would like a new dining room light. I have been looking and then I saw a light that I fell in love with in another GWer's post and I purchased it.
Now I am wondering if the light that is on order may not work in my space.
I think it may be too big(my table is 38" wide) and perhaps too "fancy" for my home.
This is my dining room with the current light, to the left in the photo is the sunroom, it is down 2 steps. Straight ahead is the living room, and my back is to the kitchen.

From GW Photos

This is the light I purchased, it is 24" in diameter and 15" tall. {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

Right now the light is on back order, and if it is a mistake it will be easy to cancel. Of course I could also just wait for it to arrive and then ship it back, it is from Neiman Marcus and they have free return shipping so the return shipping expense is not an issue.
Before I pulled the trigger and ordered this light, the lights I was seriously considering were much more tailored; the first is 20" wide, the second is 24.5" wide.
{{!gwi}}From GW Photos
{{!gwi}}From GW Photos

This post was edited by localeater on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 12:49

Comments (42)

• lorichats
    10 years ago

localeater....I think we have similar taste. I love all three of your choices, and as a matter of fact-I was thinking of purchasing the one from Neiman Marcus. The only thing holding me back is that for my area, three 60 watt bulbs wont be enough light! I find decorating an entire room easier than choosing the right lighting!!!

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

A chandelier should be 1 foot narrower than the width of the table, according to lighting experts. So you would be fine with 28". I think 20" would look way too small. I do think your present fixture is hung too high or looks so in your photo. The bottom of the fixture should be about 30" to 34" above the table is what I'm reading.

Personally I think the fixture you have now fits your décor. I would just lower it. JMHO.

• Related Discussions

Does This Mirror Work for Above Dining Table?

Q

Comments (2)
    The mirror is very pretty, and I think it would work with the furnishings. There have been several discussions here in the past about having a mirror in the dining room or area so that people can see themselves eating. Seemed that quite a few didn't like the idea of watching themselves chew, others said it didn't bother them.
    ...See More

Dining room still a work in progress but not finished!

Q

Comments (595)
    Thank you!! i will not take any credit. Everyone is so helpful and if weren’t for everyone’s help, I would be out buying more paint samples to start painting the DR for the 6th or 7th time. My foyer chandelier transformation? I cleaned it, took the top crown off, painted it and hung it lower! Whola!!
    ...See More

Does my living/dining combo work?

Q

Comments (40)
    I wasn't sure the jute rug works.... I tought it looked OK, but thought the reason for that is because i simply got used to the way it looks. LOL. OK, I may still get that rug but put it under my soon to be purchased new dining table in the same room. Thanks for the input, I'll post more soon because I need lots of help decorating!:)
    ...See More

I think dining room color scheme won't work with adjoining living room

Q

Comments (47)
    If you use round end tables, use a rectangular or square coffee table. Printed drapes in the dining room are fine with solid drapes in the living area. For your chairs, I would stick to green/camel OR red/camel. You can keep your sofa as the one red item in the room and just use touches of red in art or accessories. Or get a cream or green slipcover for the sofa and just work with the green and camel colors.
    ...See More
  • joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think it will look fine so if you love it go for it. You have a large airy space so I don't think it will look to big. All three choices are nice.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the comments.
    Born2Run- I too am concerned about the amount of light that it will produce. As an FYI it is 30% off at Horchow until the 13th.
    Lighting is sooo hard. I think, fo me the problem is that I want it to be something I can love for a long, long time because it is not inexpensive.
    Patty- the current fixture is too high and way too small, it is only 17" inches in diameter. Interesting to think if 3" bigger will satisfy me- your're right it probably won't! I can't lower it as it was installed by the prior owners and they cut the wires very short. This is motivating my lighting quest. I would rather get a light I love then have one I find kind of boring re-wired.
    Joanie- the space is airy and I don't want anything to alter that, I worry the first light will be too heavy and too dark when it is not illuminated.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I rather like the 3rd one best with your home. It seems more open and rustic and yet contemporary at the same time and goes well with your wood beams.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

I prefer the second or third one.

• User
    10 years ago

I think the second light would work well with your decorating vibe. It is lovely but understated. The first and second lights are too blingy for your rooms and decor. If you want to add bling there are better ways to incorporate touches of it rather than add one element that seems very out of place.

I vote #2

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I also vote for #2, and agree that it should be hung lower than your current fixture.

PS I still love those figures hanging on the wall in the sunken room!

• sas95
    10 years ago

I also vote #2. It would work really well, I think. I don't particularly like the first one myself, but more important, I don't see it fitting well with your home.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I also think #2 works best with your home. What beautiful scenery you have out those windows!

• bergiesgirl
    10 years ago

I really like the second fixture for your space. It's similar to one I ordered. Mine is also on back order and I like yours better, can you tell me where it's from?

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Definitely #2

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think 2 is ideal for. It looks like it won't take away from the airiness of your open space. It also will go well with your other lighting and furnishings.

I love your space by the way! Lovely!

• User
    10 years ago

I like the first one- I think they re all good- and while number 2 look like it "goes" with your house, I think number 1 has nice understated and unexpected bling to it. It obviously spoke to you too- and it does seem the size will be fine.
    As for the amount of lighting, I would imagine you will have other lights on in the open adjoining rooms so you should be totally fine. It's not like you are going to be threading needles or doing precision surgery in the room- I am sure the lighting will be fine.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would get what you love!! i think 20" (2nd one) is too small and it's also too short--- i think it would look quite squat in your open space. i also don't think the 1st one is too fancy - it's a totally different look from what's there now, but not in a bad way! i would hang it and see what i thought and return it after seeing it in the space if you don't love it anymore...

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So for a quick update, while I am on a work break: I went ahead an cancelled the back order for the capiz shell chandelier. While I do love it, something about it feels not quite right for me and for my house. So I am going with my my gut.
    Now to resume my original search. #2 and #3 are still contenders but I will update post with some others I may be considering when I have more time. Thanks for everyone's help!!.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BergiesGirl- just re-read this post and saw your question about one of the lights I posted
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

It is called the Ava 6 Light, I saw it on the LampsPlus website, it comes in 2 metal finishes and several choices of shade. The price is very reasonable if I recall.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

With such a huge expanse of space, this might be a great solution, although not exactly what you might be looking for. I've seen it used in a model home with beams and it's beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: light fixture

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Looks like I'm the only one who likes #3. The only thing is that I'm not sure about the color of the metal on that lamp. Are there similar ones with darker metal?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Love seeing more of your home! While I like the first light,I don't think it's right for your space. When I google timber frame dining room lighting, I see a lot of black fixtures. How about something like this:

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think an orb chandy would look great!!

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all.
    Busybee: I agree the second light I posted is too short.
    Pattycakes: Thanks for posting your suggestion, at 36"high it is too tall for my space. I have to hang it from the bottom of the beam and there is only 63" from table surface to bottom of beam.
    Nosoccermom: #3 does come in a darker color and I would probably go that route
    OB2B: I love the orbs but my husband always says "that's too round" LOL
    Here is #3 is the darker color and some more contender
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

{{!gwi}}From GW Photos

{{!gwi}}From GW Photos

#4 which I love but it is too tall at 26" and i need to take it off the list :(
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry, not a fan of "the barrel" look. Too '50s. Makes a room look like "been there done that". For sure they are too 50s living room for a dining room.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

How about this one?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Photoshopped poorly (DS is on MY computer playing Minecraft, and all I have on this one is paint)

Edited to update picture and to take back the 'edited poorly' note. I love paint!

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 9:48

• hopmom
    10 years ago

With the beams and style of the room, I really like #3 above. I love #1, but I don't think it's the right feel for the room. Beautiful house!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

The drum light:

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What's wrong with the light you have? It just needs to be lowered.
    Of course, I also like the mason jar lights....

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

One more:

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Totally different idea, but how about West Elm Industrial chandelier, currently 199.00

Here is a link that might be useful: industrial chandelier

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Now THIS might be fun :) (Just tell me to go away!) Troy Chianti. I have no idea of pricing, just like looking at their lights. Anyway, cost doesn't matter, because kiddos are going to get full hockey scholarships, right?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Painstakingly photoshopped...

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the photoshopping and the suggestions.
    OB2B- I really like the Troy Brooklyn, it is very similar to the adjacent kitchen light, which is the Troy Toledo, perhaps too similar. I also think I might like to get away from visible bulbs, if possible. Something I love about the Brooklyn, is the rope!
    Nosoccermom: I do love the industrial lights, but my family is a bit tired of my industrial edge. My 14 yo ds even commented on it- lol.
    I think I will go for the drum light, I love the way the arcs in the metal fixture, tie in to the arc in the metal trestle base of the table. I have been looking at it a long time and it is the one my DH and DS's consistently vote for.
    here goes nothing, pictures when it is up !

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Love your choice, and it sounds like the whole family is in agreement.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Never mind, I just found the answer.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 11:51

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanted to get back to this post and show an updated photo, the new light is in. I love the look it feels so fresh and modern to me. The fixture is large, but airy at the same time because the inner shade floats in the metal cage. I also feel the shade lightens up the space even when the fixture is not on. Thank you all for your input in the selection process!!

From GW Photos

• sas95
    10 years ago

Beautiful choice! I love your space.

• localeater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks sas, I think I first saw the light I selected during your own DR light quest. So I think you actually picked it out! LOL

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Great choice!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

It's just so rewarding when we get these decisions 'right' - very glad this was one of those! What I like is how invisible the swag is - you really don't notice it until you look for it, and then it looks like it belongs. It looks great!

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I liked that light the first time I saw it. It is perfect in the darker color with all your other dark accents. I really like your table and see a contemporary - rustic look to your home. Everything looks great.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Great choice, it looks perfect. Love it!