SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

Painting Debacle - Starting from Scratch!!

no_green_thumb
14 years ago

During the summer I posted pix of my family room. Based on suggestions to "de-country" this room, I took a lot of pieces out, moved the sofa so it isn't floating, made new cushions for the glider and changed a lot of wall decor.

Then I painted -- based on looking at a lot of colors and the "expert" at the BM store. I painted Shaker Beige, which is supposed to be a very neutral. I was hoping to warm it up a bit until I got new furniture. Unfortunately, it is yellow and very, very cold on my walls.

So, now that my busy work season is drawing to a close, I want to repaint and buy new furniture. The room is so chopped up because of the half wall, french doors, fireplace, etc.

I think that the best placement for the armoire is next to the fireplace. The fireplace is off-center because of the family room addition. I will not need a bigger TV than is in there any time soon.

The room is 17'8" long (fireplace wall).

It is 16'8" wide.

The measurement on either side of the french doors is 5'4".

The half-wall is 5'6"; the full wall on that side is 6'8".

I am keeping the carpeting (new) and had planned on a latte color for the walls. I would also like to keep the desk on the wall by the french doors, the glider and perhaps the coffee table and table by the red chair. I would also like to keep the spinet desk - but that may not work.

What I am thinking:

Replace the burgundy recliner with two smaller chairs, table between. This is why the spinet desk may have to go - unless someone can recommend a better place.

The glider may be able to stay where it is -

Also replace the sofa -

one of these pictures is lousy - couldn't get light

I am thinking of a traditional neutral sofa (haven't ruled out leather) -- then using some of the blue-gray from the fireplace with perhaps the punch of another color.

If anyone would be so kind as to offer any suggestions I would appreciate it. I am looking for a warm, traditional setting, quiet, serene. I would not be offended by any suggestions or criticisms. I have looked through magazines, the gallery, just don't know what to apply to my own room. Thanks so much.

Comments (16)