SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra_gw

Can I work with an interior designer like this?

zagyzebra
12 years ago

I have a complete house restoration on my hands, including furnishing. I've thought about hiring an interior designer, but frankly, every room I've ever seen done by an ID seems overly designed.

That said, I am overwhelmed by this project and would really like someone with a good design aesthetic to help. Someone I could bounce ideas off of and get feedback. Maybe who would go shopping with me. But not someone who holds the reigns of control. I prefer to direct the project and get creative input/feedback.

Is it possible to work with an interior designer this way, do you think? Someone who I could call on as needed basis, rather than give the entire project to? Who will be there for me when I need the ID, and has familiarity with the project and my taste, but is not directing the show?

Comments (13)

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

This is exactly what I did, but I worked with an interior decorator, not a designer.

The decorator I used basically charged by the hour, so while it probably would have been more worthwhile to do everything at once, we just were not ready to.

In my case, I was just looking for someone to bounce ideas off of, and to work with what I had, instead of starting with a blank slate. I had some furniture already, so I was looking for more direction on paint colors, furniture arrangement, accessories, etc.

I really liked our decorater because she wasn't pushy. She gave me suggestions and I used some but not all of them. It was kind of funny, because when she came back and I showed her what I used out of her suggestions, she said she liked what I came up with better :)

I found our decorator through a neighbor that used her and was very happy with her work. I think that is the easiest way to find someone, but don't be surprised if you have to interview several people to find the right fit.

• amysrq
    12 years ago

What you need is exactly what I do, however I am an Architectural Color Consultant. I usually get called in to assist with material selection, but because I know a whole lot about many of other aspects of what my clients are struggling with, from lighting to layout to furniture placement, I can be a great educator and sounding board for my clients.

I coach them on how to get the most out of their kitchen designers and how to think about window treatments for maximum function along with aesthetics. We talk about how spaces are used and what kind of furniture makes sense, as well as how to think about one's stuff and how to organize. I may suggest a cabinet layout that didn't occur to a KD or catch a problem in the blueprints. I talk about how to hang their existing art and how the landscape should relate to views. I bill hourly and make no money from selling my clients anything. It is very clean and transparent that way.

When I sense I may be in over my head, I will refer to an expert. Recently I suggested hiring a lighting designer to a client when I felt I did not have the expertise to deal with their historic home and its idiosyncratic requirements. I have a list of people I can turn to when I know we need more help, but I also attend those meetings, act as a second set of ears and can advocate for my clients during the process.

You and I are many miles away Zagy, so I am not the one for you. But, you might just look into finding a really savvy Color Consultant who has a similar skill set to mine. It might be another way to get what you want, by taking a less-traveled path. You still have to ask a whole lot of questions and make sure the fit is right. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: maybe start here?

• caminnc
    12 years ago

A GOOD interior designer will recognize what you want and act accordingly. Most are not out to get you, they really want to make you happy because that is how they get future business. Just make sure you tell the designer from the very start what you expect from them. So many people don't have a clue what they want and that makes it harder for the designer. You can get tons of good advice by just consulting with a designer for an hour or two. Good references always help. If you find you can't afford an interior designer at this point you might want to contact a local college that offers interior design. They are always looking for real life projects. The students are usually quite good and you might get some really good inspiration boards that way. Also the people here at GW are well seasoned an always willing to help. Good luck with your home, it sounds wonderful.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

I think so. When you contact the designer, tell them exactly what you explained. I'm sure in this economy they will be willing to help. If budget is an issue then I suggest checking out Creative Services or Household Services on Ebay. It's a great resource for finding a more freelance designer that could be of assistance.

• jamaraz
    12 years ago

You need to find out if the designer is willing to have a conversational approach to your meeting. I wanted the same thing as you when I first moved into my house. I really just wanted an opinion of how large an opening I should make in the wall between my living room and family room. I also wanted an opinion on TV placement. I had several phone conversations with the designer and met with her for an hour consultation. When she got to my home she told me she couldn't possibly talk furniture placement without drawing a design to scale (for more money of course). She also couldn't give me an opinion about a tv because she did not find them "cozy" and didn't have one in her home. She came recommended too. ugh.

I would suggest having your own color chips and pictures of furnishings you like. It's better to have them choose a or b then talk in non-specifics. They could guide you to different choices but at least you would have a starting point to work with. Good luck!!

• htnspz
    12 years ago

Jamarez, in their defense, doing a floor plan is more than just going into a space and thinking it up on the fly. A Designer really needs a lot of information and needs time to come up with a solution that improves the flow and needs of the space.
    Now, I agree with you on the TV. Whether a designer believes a tv is cozy or not, they should be able to incorporate one into room at the request of the client.

• zagyzebra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for everyone's input so far. I think I can handle most of this on my own, but I'd like to bounce my ideas off a pro and get feedback. I think, for example, the first question I would have for a designer is lighting. I'd really like for one to walk the house with me to get their vision on lighting BEFORE the walls go up. Typical of 1931, a few of the rooms were severely under lit and have never been remodeled. They are such unique rooms, I'm just not sure how to light them.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

You need to interview a few designers before hopping on the design train. If you know a little of what you want, try to have some samples, or pictures from magazines that project the colors and style you prefer.

Go for the feeling in you gut~~'it' tells the truth. ;o)

• wantoretire_did
    12 years ago

Every day lurker here, hesitant decorator. What chocolatebunny said, and you may need both, depending on the extent of your renovation. The confusion between designer/decorator goes back at least 40 years when I took classes in decorating ;-/

Here is a link that might be useful: decorator vs. designer

• User
    12 years ago

I wouldn't recommend either a designer or a decorator for a lighting plan. I'd recommend a lighting designer. You can usually find one at the higher end lighting stores, and they can save you a lot of money and grief over lighting placement and types by developing an overall plan, sort of like a master landscape plan. Or sometimes some of the larger electrical firms have a lighting designer consultant available. Either way, for an older home, you also need your electrician involved from the beginning with your lighting choices because you may have certain tradeoffs you need to make because of the home's structure, or you may not have enough electrical service for a modern home's needs.

Also, to get the most out of the time that you spend with any designer, especially if you just want to use them for a periodic consultant, you need to create your own to scale floor plans with either graph paper or software. If you use the old fashioned paper, create to scale templates of your furniture to be able to move it around on the graph. If this is beyond your skill level, then you will need to pay for more time from your consultant to do this for you. A floor plan is an essential part of any home design.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

I agree w/GreenDesigns -- I had a roommate once who was an architectural lighting designer, out of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. She knew historical lighting, commercial lighting, residential lighting, etc. and though I kind of thought it was a nonexistent profession at first (and I was a *dramaturg* -- go figure! LOL), BOY was I schooled once I had lived with her for a while. I have a whole lot more respect for the profession now. They deserve their own title. See if there are folks with that label on their cards in your area.

• dunia
    12 years ago

Can anyone recommend a person who does staging or interior design in the washington dc area, specifically Maryland? Am looking for help in pulling a few rooms together in terms of a few furniture pieces, curtains,accent pi�ces, not a whole makeover

• zagyzebra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GreenDesigns - Thank you for setting me straight on the lighting designer! Really!

Next question: I will need to replace a beautiful old concrete fireplace and mantle fashioned by a European concrete mason and his son, a set decorator, in 1931. Instead of redoing what was already there, I'd like to change it. This is my chance to change things up. Repeating what was there seems so boring.

I will need something with a gothic arch, to match the windows and doors in the room. No one makes fireplaces with gothic arches. So it will be custom. It must look sort of medieval, sort of fairytale. I'd like to incorporate old tile into it, too.

This fireplace and mantle really is a focal point in the room. It needs to be special, quaint, and period. Who would I look to for something like this!?