SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regmoses

endlessly looking at backsplash options

regmoses
12 years ago

Sorry, another backsplash issue.

I've looked at every kitchen on this website, plus a thousand other images. I've shopped and returned .... I'm hopeless.

We installed our new kitchen almost two years ago and ever since I have been paralyzed when trying to decide on a backsplash. I see so many pictures that look like bad choices - too busy, competing with beautiful granite tops, or just looking "off" in color or style. That being said, I'm no designer.

I want something that works and is neutral so I can paint my walls in a few years and the backsplash will still look great. I am terrible at envisioning the end product and I only get one shot at this.

I totally regret not making this decision along with the rest in my kitchen. My husband is so irritated he's considering letting me change the tops (they're laminate). I'm wishing I had installed black counters. Wouldn't that have made it easier? Then, I'd just put in white subway and be done :)

I love my glazed maple cabinets and the black details in the crown and at bottom were our customizing ideas. But how the heck do you tie in the grey and brown and not be too dark? Does that matter? Can I go with creamy or white subways? Will an accent piece look just another horizontal stripe in the kitchen and be too much? Aaaaggghhh - this is so hard! I don't even know what colors I should be considering. HELP!

So, following are a few photos of my kitchen and the tiles we're considering.

Close-up of the counter. Wilsonart laminate - you can see the grey, with black, creamy undertones (at least that's what I see)

This seems wrong still, but matches. Is that what I should be going for? Matchy?

And here it is a little closer. (Big tile piece is still in plastic so I can take it back.)

Comments (45)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

That does not match. You have too many patterns going on. Your counter has a pattern and so do both of those tiles. What about a cream crackle subway tile. have you looked at that?

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I agree that it does not match. To me, it clashes from all the movement.

I also agree about a cream subway tile... crackle would probably fit your theme...... or maybe a tumbled marble/travertine that has no movement.

• Related Discussions

Vertical Backsplash? A Backsplash Regret?

Q

Comments (28)
    I can see why it might be advisable to remove the left/rt portions of tile, but I would be inclined to wait until ithe kitchen is completed before deciding. If, as your gut tells you, it "needs" to come down, nothing is really lost except a little more time with it up. Perhaps knowing you are not "locked-in" or committed to it, will help give the perspective to view it more objectively while deciding for sure. This way you will not only have the chance to see it with everything else in place, but you will also have the opportunity to get used to it, before deciding if you truly dislike it, or just haven't gotten used to it being there. As subtle (in color) as our tile is, after months of looking at white painted Sheetrock, it still looked "different" and stood out when we looked at our kitchen. Once we became accustomed to it, we couldn't imagine our walls without it. That's how I am with many things--after living with a blank wall or empty space for any period of time, even a long awaited piece of furniture or decor item jumps out at me, and almost seems like too much, until I get used to the vacant space being filled. Thanks for the compliments on our backsplash Laura and andreak100! It's the Opera Glass tile from Artistic Tile (Stilatto pattern) in Wolfgang White. It does read greenish-blue(-grey) in certain lights or times of day. We had to think about that one while deciding if we wanted to use it, and obviously decided to go for it! Good luck Laura! Honestly, whatever you decide will look terrific!
    ...See More

Granite Backsplash with Tile BS or just Tile Backsplash???

Q

Comments (6)
    My granite supplier advised using tile from the granite up (no granite back splash). She could have advised the other way and made a little more money, so I think she advised based on her honest opinion. I also like the "no granite back splash" look better. Just guessing, I'd say the only reason to use the 4" granite back splash would be if you weren't going to use any other back splash at all (a more low-budget option, in my opinion).
    ...See More

Backsplash? No backsplash?

Q

Comments (30)
    So we finally decided and the tile went up earlier this week. We are living about 40 minutes away from the house right now, I stopped by the house last evening. We ended up using the suggestion of taping up paper with pictures of the tile - thank you for that suggestion!!! I tried to do photoshop, but I wasn't doing a great job. Seeing it in person helped. We ended up tiling the area above the range and then the 18 inch area between the uppers and counter. In the open shelf area the 18 inches below the lowest shelf are tile, but then above the shelves is paint. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures. It was dusk and the electricity wasn't on. I was also holding my 1 year old at the time.
    ...See More

BackSplash Options?!

Q

Comments (6)
    I'd leave it too... it actually looks nice and coordinates with the wood edge on your counter. Your kitchen looks nice, good job!
    ...See More
  • Kode
    12 years ago

What about subway tiles in a random cream/white/soft gray blend?

• advanced
    12 years ago

Just because the colors are in the same family doesn't really mean something matches. I agree with the other posts. A simple "matching" solid subway tile or glass subway tile would look great.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Love what Kode posted. Here is another idea. This is by Fireclay tile. It's their Vitrail series and comes in a variety of sizes. I really like the modern twist on subway as above. This is Ultra Cream Black Patine.
    {{!gwi}}

• regmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree about the busy-ness factor of those tiles in my original photos. And I'm glad to hear that "matchy" isn't the goal. I'll admit, though, I'm stunned at hearing that creamy tile is what the consensus is for my kitchen! But I'm trying very hard to picture that. A few concerns:

1) Cream, even though there's white trim in the doorways and no cream except the undertone in the countertop?
    2) Does the tone of the cream/white matter a lot? It's color that really escapes me.
    3) Are your suggestions ones that you would actually pick, colorwise, for my kitchen colors or are they just on the right track?
    I'm sorry. I know I'm basically asking you to hold my hand here, but, after two years of off and on looking, I really have to get this nailed down. Either that or the money allotted for it is going to something else and it will never get done!!!

Acting on your suggestions ...
    So, a cream subway, like the one (on top) here:

A crackly cream tile, like this one:

A travertine, with no pattern:

I had saved this photo in my planning notes. I like this kitchen, except I wouldn't have done the little tiles over the stove. So, this is basically what my kitchen would look like?

And I liked this one:

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I like the kitchen you saved! Why not do that, without the little tiles over the stove? It's very nice and looks great with the black accents...just like your kitchen :)

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

I think the one you had saved in your planning notes, but without the little tiles, would be absolutely perfect!! And I completely feel for you on the struggle to figure out the right backsplash. I've only been looking for 6 months and already feel the stress!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

No, your kitchen would NOT look like the one that you said it would - why? Well, let's analyze your kitchen: You have a very well put together kitchen which includes:
    - Very detailed cabinetry
    - reeded glass cabinets
    - beautifully detailed crown molding with the black outline
    - black corbels and black outline on the island
    - black intricate iron over your open shelving and fridge
    - open shelving with the display and the rooster
    - the pendant lighting tying in with the rooster colours
    - the counter with the colours that give you a great base for a backsplash

Your kitchen has a lot going for it and it needs a place for the eyes to rest. If you did the backsplash like the one of the kitchen you liked, with a row of interesting black tile (maybe? have to think about it) I think you would have a kitchen that was complete.

• Kode
    12 years ago

Here is a visual that may help. It only has cream and white tiles, I could find a soft gray in the tile blenders I was using, but it will give you an idea (I hope, my cut and paste skills need improvement ;P)

I do still think a soft gray in this would really make it pop.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

oo, I too like the one in the "kitchen you saved"!

Which feeds nicely in what I was going to say; I guess it's a variant of "do what you love" which we pretty much agree is annoying. But seems like what I'd want to say here anyway. Find tiles you really like, or a pattern, in this case, and just do that. It's not, IMHO, as if there is really any *ONE* backsplash tile/pattern comb that is THE one. There is more than one way to skin this cat, and nicely as well. So since it's too hard to find the *perfect* one, just go for one you like; because you like the tile or the pattern, etc. Find tiles you like, that kinda go with the countertop and you're done. Sure you might have found a better one in two years or two hundred more hours of looking. Doesn't matter. Good enough matters.

You can do it! In fact,

...you have already! I love that vertical stripe down low. Would you do that as well? You could, right? I think it would look really snazzy. Could you use a charcoal blue-black like the stools? Sort of the same family as the countertop?

• regmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kode, blfenton - everyone ... thank you for taking the time to look at this. Kode, that mock-up you did really does help me see better!

So, what I'm hearing is to lean toward a grey tone in a subway. Is this what you mean?

Or more like this? Or is this mostly just brown? I think I'm colorblind! (Love this beverage center, btw!)

And then, possibly a row of tile down low? It would come up above the ledge of the window (which I hadn't really shown in the first post). A black row or one that matches the counter? That multi slate brick trimming in my original post matches the counter. There I go matching again!
    aliris19 - I'm thinking you mean a horizontal row, like in that kitchen photo (with the little diamonds)?

So, border/row or no?
    Just standard size subways? Does the finish matter aesthetically? Marble-looking and glossy or more natural stone-like? Most of the subway I find online looks mostly smooth to glossy.

• Kode
    12 years ago

Starting at the counter you could do 1 row of randomly placed 3 x 6 white/cream/grey matte finish tiles, then a row of 1 x 3 glossy black tiles, then finish up to the cabinet bottoms with the white/cream/grey tiles. With the matte finish on the bigger tiles the glossy black row would pop.

I'm no expert at tiles though. There's others here with a lot more experience than I have.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Crema marfil honed subway.

• Kode
    12 years ago

Here's the mock-up with a row of black tiles -

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Great mock-up Kode. With the black row of tiles, what seems to stand-out for me is the black around the appliances which I don't think is a good thing. I didn't notice them before and I like the mock-up without them better.
    Gosh, I can see why it has taken so long! My suggestion is to start bringing home a variety of subway tiles in different colours and post pics of them in a variety of combinations. For eg. all cream, grey, a mix of the two, shiny, matte. and start playing with them. maybe bring some with the crackle finish and the crema marfil that was suggested. If you post, we'll give you our opinions.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I agree that the backsplash is the hardest, especially when you didn't think of a complete vision of the three elements when you started.
    My vote would be a ceramic tile. When you get into the stone tiles there is too much vaiation. Since there are so many choices of tile, that means so many choices can be the RIGHT tile. It boils down to what is comfortable to you.
    So, get to the tile shop and keep posting. The backsplash questions are my favorite! And I understand your DH's frustration (mine was the same) but don't feel pressured. Pretend you are just starting the process now.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I don't care for the black row of accent tiles. I think sticking to a simple backsplash would be good because there are so many beautiful accents in the kitchen overall. the BS should be a simple part. I like the gray subways. I also like the idea of crema marfil subway tiles. HTH

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Not sure if I missed something--what color are you planning to repaint in?

Minority opinion: I think the paint is an important part of this decor--connects the two sides of the kitchen at doorway and makes the range (and actually the kitchen itself) less important when seen from the adjacent space. Because only the light globes and the ceiling are light, a light backsplash will be an attention grabber. If you have a white or light colored ground behind the stuff on the counter at range, the contrast of items will become the major thing you see when you are looking into the room and may become very clutter-like even if they were intended to be decorative. This existing color is very complimentary to the wood and the dark metals. The kitchen currently is subtle, happy, and under control. It also flows visually into adjacent spaces--no need to cut kitchen from rest of area by putting up an edge, esp at the right side of the sink where everyone has trouble deciding how to make an end and where it always is jarring. Why mess with a good thing?

I would just put in a tall stainless-colored or other muted color backsplash behind range and then a low row of matching material to cover the junction between the countertop and the wall, as minimal as possible (and only if you need it). If the room seems too dark, choose a lighter green?

• phoggie
    12 years ago

Oh my, I am not much help at all on BSs...why are they so darned hard to pick? I personally like the plain subway without the black band...since you have black band on the cabinets, it seems to be competing.

I do like your laminate....do you mind sharing what color it is?

Good luck and this is one post I will keep watching.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Looking at the mock ups, will you be happy with the way the tiles has to go all the way to the wall because your upper is shorter than you lower cabinet?

• ptamom
    12 years ago

What do you think of this from subwayceramictile.com ?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think a ceramic look works better with your kitchen. The stone could look more "Tuscan" and backdate it.

I think the mock up is great but you have to keep in mind that the different lighting of the tile in the picture used to mock it up makes it shout more than it would IRL.

I think the black band would work if it were skinnier and the tiles were longer (less grout breaking up the line). That would mimic your black detail on the cabs nicely. Think of the difference between a wide belt and a skinny belt. The one in the mockup is a little on the wide side. I'd also do it a little higher up.

I don't know why, but I envision 6 x 6 square ceramic tiles in your kitchen. I think the subways would make it have too many rectangles or look a little busier. I'd lean more toward gray than the cream because of your white trim. If you do want cream, I'd use white grout to help tie it in.

• regmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hashing this stuff out with people who know things about it is SOOOOOO helpful. I am sooooo grateful and feel on the right track for the first time in two years!

Florantha - the paint stays the way it is for the foreseeable. And thank you for the nice compliments about my kitchen, as is :) Can't tell from this older photo, but now there is white trim in that doorway. I plan to take the tile to the white trim on both sides where that's happening (to pictured doorway and back door).

Dianalo - I was thinking Tuscan, too, but everything I bring home looks strange to me against that gray counter. The browns just look dirty or something. I'm feeling ya a little on the 6x6 tiles or larger subways at least and the gray scheme .... which leads me to ...

ptamom - how can I get my hands on that craftsman tile because I am really liking it? I searched online and can't find it except in the one California store. If I call them can they direct me to the brand and another source, do you think? Problem is I live in Podunk, Kentucky. Seriously, there are no tile stores in a 60-mile radius. I've been stuck with Lowe's and their 18 options that never change.

Still have a bit of looking to do too ... gray subways ... hmmmm.
    THANKS everyone for helping me so much.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, whoops - "horizontal".

There must be some neurological disorder covering using the opposite -- sort of a whole-word dyslexia thing I've got going on.... sorry!

• ptamom
    12 years ago

I would assume any one of their retailers could do a sale over the phone but I honestly do not know. Hmm. I was going to suggest Adex USA Artisan in pebble for a gray subway, too, but the stinkers don't offer sample anywhere I have looked. So sorry:( It's frustrating.

• irishcreamgirl
    12 years ago

I loved the one you saved but on my monitor the craftsman looks like it just might tie beautifully with your granite and wall color.

• ash6181
    12 years ago

Sorry to threadjack, sort of. Kode, could you post the source for the mixed color subways you posted above. I really like them.

• Kode
    12 years ago

That picture is from a GW thread from last year (linked below). Its says they are Trikeenan tiles in a random white blend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old GW post w/white/gray/cream tiles

• Kode
    12 years ago

On the bottom left of the page linked below, pictures 3 thru 6 show some more whait blends in the Trikeenan tiles.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: More Trikeenan tile pics

• peach32
    12 years ago

Hi Regmoses

Can you please tell me the name of this creamy subway you posted? It's gorgeous. Thanks very much. I think you are on the right track with the kitchens you said you liked. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck!

• Kode
    12 years ago

Peach,

That is Merola subway tile in polar cream finish with a crackle glaze.

Ok, I admit it...I'm bored so I looked it up :D

Here is a link that might be useful: Merola Subway tile

• regmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

phoggie - my laminate is Wilsonart HD in crystalline onyx. We've been happy with its durability and the price was almost 1/4 of what I was quoted for granite. Would love to change out to solid surface someday, but when saddled with the expense of the total kitchen gutting I was happy to shave off $3,000 from the quote!

Peach - I'm so glad Kode found the name of that tile for you. I think I looked up "cream subway" in images and found that one!

I've been grateful for all the help. I found a tile today that might work. This is a tumbled marble subway in 2"x4". I like that it's light, has some gray and brown in it. Is it too brown? Need to be lighter? Hard for me to feel sure about when I only have a 12x12 sheet of it to go on.
    I know you guys will be honest :)

I still soooo like the Craftsman one up there. But this one might work.
    Do ya think I should tile all the way to my door trim (both sides of the kitchen)? My hubby is not keen on this.
    I assume it's a good idea to seal all backsplashes. Is there any trick to that? Will it change my tile color much? I know, questions, questions, questions ... sorry.

• regmoses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please comment on this new tile option. I'm being impatient, I know :)

What do you think? Would this work?

• Lauren Wollmershauser
    12 years ago

Honestly, I'm with the herd on this one. I think the new option is still a little too busy/much with the countertops (which look great, btw!). I vote for a creamy subway, but without the black band.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

It's too heavy looking for the counter and the kitchen. I think.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I love the glass you have in your cabinet doors to the left of the fridge.
    Could you use extend that idea to backsplash using similar glass tiles? The color of your wall paint is beautiful and would look lovely showing through clear glass. Or a white but not opaque white glass tile? Or is that too modern?
    good luck!

• lovingstuff
    12 years ago

Regmoses,

I like your kitchen and I am in the same back splash boat! What I have decided is to make sure that my back splash reflects light because there are no windows, just a couple of doors. For your kitchen, maybe a cream glass subway tile with a thin band of a combo of gray and beige brown tile to tie it all together. Maybe tie in the brown color of the pendant lights over the island and the gray of the counters.
    Good luck!

• ptamom
    12 years ago

That Merola tile above would look really nice. Home Depot carries it online. I think the are handmade and fairly inexpensive.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I think the most recent sample clashes with your counter and is too bulky.

• ash6181
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on the tile, Kode.

• peach32
    12 years ago

Hi regmoses, just wondering if you made a decision?

• elle3
    12 years ago

For what it's worth, I ordered a sample of the merola tile from HD a few months back...it was VERY gold/yellow. It looked nothing like the sample posted online. It was also very sparkly, which you really can't see online. I thought it was more creamy from the picture...

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I'd like to see a little drama...so, I would put a mirror that's slightly antiqued on that little wall by frig under the shelves. Then, this washable wallpaper on rest of kitchen. I would put a stainless steel panel behind range to break it up.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/134607f0.jpg"; target="_blank">

• talkstoself
    5 years ago
    I just realized this post is 8 years old but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I happen to be partial to my tile it also comes in a Gray matte but I really like it in the white glossy. I think it would look good in your kitchen
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths