SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalit1013

Backsplash? No backsplash?

jalit1013
8 years ago

Countertops are Cambria Nevern.

There will be a stainless steel wall mounted hood about the slide in range.

I originally just wanted tile above the range, all the way to the ceiling. I have a brownish/grayish 3x6 subway tile picked out.

The contractor is recommending extending the counter up onto the wall. I don't think I like that look.

I also don't want to subway tile the whole area between the counter and the uppers because we have the area above the corner sink that will have floating shelves. I just think that might look weird?

Opinions welcome!

Comments (30)

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

Backsplash yes!! I would do above the counter as well. It's hard to visualize when you are in mid construction.

jalit1013 thanked mark_rachel
  • amg765
    8 years ago

I think the counter up the wall looks dated, but some people like it.

With floating shelves people usually either end the backsplash at the bottom of the lowest shelf, as if it's a cabinet, or they carry the tile all the way up the wall the way you are doing behind the stove. You can find lots of example photos on houzz.

jalit1013 thanked amg765
  • Related Discussions

KDs, do you know where I can find either of these backsplashes?

Q

Comments (5)
    Macy, Live_wire_oak, I searched ebay and the big mosaic sellers and even emailed them pictures. I didn't have any luck so far. Also local tile stores, no luck. They all told me if you come up with a design, we can have an artist copy it onto tile or mosaic. I am not a good enough artist to make a design. If I don't find either of these, my default plan is to use a monochromatic raised fruit bowl that I did find in biscuit color and whitish color, probably with the same color field tile and black marble frame. Would biscuit or whitish backsplash go best with neutral white cabinets and black stone countertops?
    ...See More

Opinions please - tile or granite backsplash?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks! I just met with our granite installer this afternoon, and he very gently nudged me toward tile. He pointed out that we have a couple of feet of backsplash with no cabinets above, and it will look very thick and heavy where it meets with the painted wall. Also, would have to reposition some undercabinet light fixtures. The current tile is very thin ceramic so we'd lose an inch of counter top by adding granite and I think it might even affect the space we have for the faucet behind the sink. I've convinced DH that we'll go with tile. Now, to pick the tile!! So many decisions!! I don't have any pics yet, still trying to decide on our granite color, and we seem to change our minds almost daily.
    ...See More

Finally getting to backsplash..opinions needed

Q

Comments (1)
    Looks like the colors are a perfect match. Very earthy... is it slate? If so, you may want to wet it to get a feel for what it would look like enhanced. I think I would love it see it with an accent or strip of lighter colored glass to give it some pop and brighten it.
    ...See More

Need Help Where To Start and Stop Tumbled Marble Backsplash

Q

Comments (3)
    I had a situation like yours. In the case where the uppers extended slightly further than did the counter top, the tile installer made the tile even with the edge of the upper cabinet and added a very narrow line (maybe 1/2", slightly rounded edge) of tile all the way to the floor on the outside of the lowers. I thought it looked great. Sorry, I have no photos. In the case where the counters were wider than uppers, he lined up the tile with the edge of the uppers and the tile went straight down to the counters, so the last 1/2", or so, had no tile above it. Because of the shape of the edge, this looked intentional.
    ...See More
  • localeater
    8 years ago

Just so you know, installing the countertop to the wall when you are not putting the counter going up the wall requires more skill. This is because the counter has to be scribed perfectly to your wall and all the little waves and bumps that you can see, but will yield gaps of varying sizes that you will notice once the put on the counter. It is easier for the contractor to do the countertop material backsplash

The standard 4" countertop backsplash is one look, this can be with or without tile above. Tile straight down to the counter is another, there are more choices too. You could do the countertop material in 1", 2", or 3" inches though 1" might be very difficult to cut without cracking. You could do one or a couple row of your subways with or without a trim piece.

Look at lots of pictures and see what you like.

jalit1013 thanked localeater
  • johnsoro25
    8 years ago

We went to the ceiling with our backsplash and floating shelves. I have seen it every possible way- there is no wrong answer. I vote yes on a backsplash because it gives a more finished appearance.

jalit1013 thanked johnsoro25
  • jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

johnsoro15 - your kitchen is gorgeous! Wow, that looks awesome!

localeater - I hadn't considered how hard or easy it was to do different styles of back splash, good point!

I kind of think the 4inch counter extension would make the space look dated. But then we have friends who have an amazing kitchen that has the 4inch back splash to match the counter. The kitchen is just laid out very differently.

I worry that the shape of the kitchen is kind of odd. The space is quite big. My concern with the tile is that it will just end up taking over because there isn't an easily defined end point.

I was thinking subway tile above the range, to the ceiling. Then on below the 3 uppers on either side down to the counter. The area to the left of the divider would be paint. Then paint on the floating shelves area and wrapped around the sink. But then it seems odd to not have tile in the sink area. Although, it is a corner sink, so I could imagine that not as much water will actually be getting on the walls of the corner?

I am just terrible at visualizing!

• badgergal
    8 years ago

Localeater, I still check out gardenweb every so often and I was surprised to see your compliment about my kitchen. Thanks so much. Your kitchen is gorgeous too.

jallt1013, I think your kitchen will look fine with the tile in just the range hood area and up to the ceiling. My fabricator had no trouble getting the countertop to fit exactly to the wall. There were no gaps that need to be covered by tile or a 4" strip of countertop material. Most of my pictures in te link local eater provided are no longer available. Here are a couple pictures that I have on my iPad that look at little better than the ones on the previous link.

Good luck with your decision. Please post picture when finished. Your kitchen is going to be great.

jalit1013 thanked badgergal
  • hazelwags
    8 years ago

johnsoro25 - We are going to be making backsplash decisions soon as well. I love the look of your subway tiles. Can you share details? jalit1013 - I have trouble visualizing as well but thought the thread with mockups was really helpful! Can you do something like that to help with your decision? Good luck!

jalit1013 thanked hazelwags
  • jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you localeater! Yes, I am really struggling on the back splash. I guess even more so because I thought that I had made this decision back when I did tile selection in June. :)

Your kitchen looks awesome!

badgergal, what a BEAUTIFUL kitchen. Wow! I love the look of the tile behind the range.

I was going to ask what you did around your sink area and then noticed your sink is in the island. Ours is in the corner, to the right of the range. I guess I hadn't thought about protecting the walls behind the corner sink.

I do the cooking, but my husband does the dishes. Not sure why, but he tends to get a lot of water all over the place. I probably do need something to protect the wall from water.

I feel like we have so many different heights. There is the 18 inches below the uppers by the range. Then the larger space below the uppers that will have glass (to the left). Not sure on the height of the space between the bottom of the window and the counter top. It looks to be less than 18 inches. But then to the right of the window is another set of uppers with an 18 inch space.

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is the Cambria Nevern

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is a stock photo of the subway tile I had intended to go only behind the range.

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hazelwags, I am not great at photoshop, but I agree, I need to try to create some mock ups!

I really appreciate all the advice I have gotten so far - thank you kitchen experts!

• amck2
    8 years ago

Someone a while back did soapstone countertops with a corner sink in the manner that we did ours - brought the counter material up and finished with a sill. I cannot remember whose, but maybe someone here will so you can take a look. I thought it looked great. Ours has been practical for us - we do lots of handwashing.

My stone looks similar to the pic you posted of yours. Color is off in this quick shot I just took.

I also went with a simple crackle tile BS just behind my range.

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

@hazelwags- thanks for the compliment. They are white ice beveled 3x6 subway from Roca Group. My KD got them at Mosaic Tile.

@localeater- I have arabesque tiles over my range too! I love the look :)

• Chinchette
    8 years ago

Localeater, I like what you did. I checked the earlier thread and mock-ups. This was a good choice for your space.

Jalit, I can't figure out what the divider is for. What is in that area? Is the range where the gap is?

• localeater
    8 years ago

Jalit, I think amck might be on to something with using your cambria nevern as the backsplash behind the sink. Because you dont have symmetrical windows to the sink, you probably wouldnt want to do the sill, but a platform or a high backsplash just behind the sink would look great with your special tile to the ceiling behind the range. Some people say the advantage of the platform is that it facilitates cleaning(i am not sure)

More pictures for you 'cause I know you like them :)

You couldnt see it in my earlier picture but I did countertop material behind my sink, for a longtime I wasnt sure I would tile any of the sink run wall. Eventually, I did, but I didnt have to. I didnt tile for close to two years, here is early picture before tile and lighting that shows the countertop material behind the sink and no other backsplash. Personally I think it is a very clean functional look.

Thanks Johnsboro and Chinchette for your kind words!

jalit1013 thanked localeater
  • User
    8 years ago

What's with the wierd hunk of cabinet hanging down in your way? That is all the eye is drawn too. Some mistake by your installer?

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Localeater, thanks for the photos! I do appreciate that!

I do like the idea of a platform behind the corner sink.

We are going to go over this weekend and try to play around with some of the tile samlpes on different parts of the walls.

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The divider is supposed to be there. The counter will be flush with the divider. The uppers in that section will have glass doors. There are some pieces that attach to/near the lower cabinets to make that area look more like furniture. It is supposed to have the look of a built in hutch.

That wall is really long. A run of just upper and lower cabinets was too much for me in that space. I needed something to break it up.

I'll try to find the mockup from the kitchen designer.

Yes, the space is for the slide in range. There will be a wall mounted stainless hood above the range.

• User
    8 years ago

A proper hutch look would have a different color, and/or level, and corbels if it were in the same run as the main cabinets. If it had hutch sides like that, at a minimum, it would be a separate hutch entirely, not joined to the rest of the cabinetry.

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I guess I used the wrong terminology when I said hutch.

We had a proposed design that was all traditional upper and lower cabinets and it was too boring for me. I wanted something to break up the long line of cabinets.

• badgergal
    8 years ago

Jalit1013, in the dining area of my kitchen I have a small area that previously had some base cabinets and some upper cabinets. When wanted it to look more like a built-in china cabinet or hutch so we had sides extend down to the countertop like you have but we had the cabinet maker put a wood back on it too. I think if you were able to put a wood back on yours people wouldn't be questioning what or why you have that wood panel there. Here are before and after shots of mine for you to compare. I think yours would look great with wood on the back instead of just the drywall or some tile.

jalit1013 thanked badgergal
  • Chinchette
    8 years ago

Jalit, I'm not sure if you are still here. If you did what badger girl is suggesting it might make for a solution to the original problem you posted. You would have more cohesiveness with the backsplash and where it goes. Did you decide anything?

jalit1013 thanked Chinchette
  • jojo100
    8 years ago

I too would put in a backsplash. I just had a new kitchen put in and my backsplash is a continuation of my Golden Lightning granite. I don't think a kitchen looks finished without a backsplash.

jalit1013 thanked jojo100
  • elatsch
    8 years ago

@johnsoro25 what's your granite? so beautiful and similar to the look we're going for...

(sorry to get off topic!)

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

@elatsch- It is Alaska White, we love it. Good luck in your project!

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So we finally decided and the tile went up earlier this week. We are living about 40 minutes away from the house right now, I stopped by the house last evening.

We ended up using the suggestion of taping up paper with pictures of the tile - thank you for that suggestion!!! I tried to do photoshop, but I wasn't doing a great job. Seeing it in person helped.

We ended up tiling the area above the range and then the 18 inch area between the uppers and counter. In the open shelf area the 18 inches below the lowest shelf are tile, but then above the shelves is paint.

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures. It was dusk and the electricity wasn't on. I was also holding my 1 year old at the time.

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you again for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it!!!

In terms of the "hutch" area. I am still deciding what to do with that area. I know I don't want tile. For now it is painted. But I am considering the suggestion of having a wood panel made to fit in the back to make the area appear more furniture like.

I will post pictures once the stainless appliances are in, the rest of the cabinet doors are up, and all the knobs/pulls are installed.

I know I am not on trend with a white kitchen and am okay with that. :)

• jalit1013
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, just for fun. This is what the kitchen looked like when we bought the house. I think the previous owners said it was redone at some point in the 1980s?

• Chinchette
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update. I like the tile. Its looking good. Yes, the hutch area is better without tile and leaves the ability to make it more hutchy. I could even have display shelves under the cabinets.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert